main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CoolUsernameHere

CoolUsernameHere Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2011
    Like many others, I thought it was called a "lifesaver".
    I remember being pretty sure the Obi-Wan was Luke's long long grandfather.
    I kind of assumed that in order to be a Sith, you had to have some kind of facial flaw/deformity. At the time I just thought that Darth Maul's tattoos were birthmarks or something.

2. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Before the prequels were out, I thought that there was only 1 original Star Wars film, not 3, and that the upcoming TPM was the sequel.

3. hanshotfirst87

hanshotfirst87 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2011
    I don't know why but when I was a kid I thought Han said "Good against a living" instead of "Good against the living" I assumed he meant Jedis suck at making money lol

Senpezeco and Star Wars age 9 like this.
  4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I thought Luke said "more well than you can imagine" and that Hamill was supposed to say "well, more than you can imagine"

5. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Jedi Padawan

Jul 20, 2011
    When Leia reveals the location of the Rebel base, I thought she said "Tatooine" as opposed to "Dantooine".

6. spiceminesofkessel

spiceminesofkessel Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2011
    I thought Boba Fett died in RotJ. :)

DarthKreVass and Star Wars age 9 like this.
  7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    On this forum, he did ;)

DarthKreVass and Seagoat like this.
  8. spiceminesofkessel

Jul 29, 2011
    Oh, yeah. My bad. [face_laugh]

DarthKreVass likes this.
  9. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011
    I used to think Greedo somehow survived Han's blaster and was the same Rodian walking around in the shot of Ben and Luke walking to Docking Bay 94.

10. spiceminesofkessel

Jul 29, 2011
    Well, since my last misconception shouldn't count in this forum, I'll give it another go.

Honestly, my very first misconception about Star Wars I had as a kid was that the movies weren't good. It wasn't until my late childhood that I borrowed Empire Strikes Back (on VHS) from a neighbor. I watched it through from start to finish, rewound it (who rewinds movies anymore? ;) ), and then watched it again. I watched it twice in a row, back to back. From that point on, I was hooked. I went back to my neighbor's house and got the other two movies.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. HordaksPupil

HordaksPupil Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2011
    I have had many of the misconceptions that a lot of you had but the three that stick are:

1. I thought Tarkin's name was Tak (to me it sounded liked Leia said Tak instead of Tarkin)

2. When I first saw ESB and saw the scene where Luke is talking to Dak I thought he called him 'dad'

3. For some reason unknown to this day I thought the Emperor's robe was brown

12. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I agree. It definitely says like "Tark" or "Tak." Carrie Fisher really clipped his name.

13. HordaksPupil

Aug 3, 2011
    I know and I am pretty sure that screenplay has name as Tarkin (it's been ages since read the annotated screenplays)

14. -Ijedi-

-Ijedi- Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2011
    That guy from Caravan of Courage was luke when he was younger and leia was the little girl... Makes no sense I know.

Boba Fett was a robot.

Lukes black outfit in Return of the Jedi was THE jedi uniform!

The Imperial naval officers were Nazis.

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Again, Luke's outfit in ROTJ was meant to be the Jedi uniform, sort of.

The boy in Caravan of Courage wasn't Luke, but he did have a Jedi name - the very first Jedi name, in fact. Mace.

16. HordaksPupil

Aug 3, 2011
    I have another one and this is actually funny I think. When I was little I thought they didnn't have the technology to do special effects like lightning when ROTJ was made so I thought that the lightning was real (Imangied they had electrical generator underneath the emperor's sleeves and it really was shooting lightning bolts)

17. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Really good indeed [face_laugh]

As a matter of fact, those blue lightnings are really well done and impressive.

18. HordaksPupil

Aug 3, 2011
    I know, I was like "they had to have some sort of device creating the lightning. It can't be fake." Luke's lightsaber could have acted as the ground to make sure no one was hurt and they the emperor hooked up a van de graf generator. I had a quite an imagination as a kid :D

19. Hawk777th

Hawk777th Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    I thought Stormtroopers were Robots. Lightsabres were powered by the Jedis force powers, since they always seem to turn off when not in hand. I never knew Porkins was what they called that guy thought it was like portlands or something.

20. DarthGentilian

DarthGentilian Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2003
    When I was a kid, I had the misconception that the villain's name was "Darth Vader" and that his weapon was called a "lightsaber." Of course I was completely wrong about this, since all of the other kids in the neighborhood insisted that his name was "Dark Vader" and that his weapon was called a "life saver."

21. DarthGentilian

DarthGentilian Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2003
    Actually, in "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" (1979) there was a scene in which the alien entity that was the film's antagonist ("V'ger") probes the bridge of the Enterprise, and jolts Chekov with lightning/electricity when Chekov attempts to touch a computer panel.

For this scene, they actually generated real electrical charges on-set rather than use animation or some other kind of post-production special effects. The special effects crew wrapped Walter Koenig's arm in layers of aluminum foil; in between the layers of aluminum foil were chemicals such as ammonia and dry ice; and the whole apparatus was underneath Chekov's uniform sleeve. The special effects crew ran an electrical current through this apparatus, causing lightning-like shots of electricity to appear. It took ten takes to get this effect correct, and Walter Koenig burned his arm doing it.

22. MiricaEclipse

MiricaEclipse Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2011
    Okay, let me first say, that i sadly did not see the OT when it first came out :_|. And, that i thought all of this stuff a long time ago... (In a galaxy far, far away! LOL :))

~When Obi-Wan first mentioned 'another' i thought it might be Han. [face_shhh] (I'd just seen Star Wars, and not ROtJ yet.)

~I also thought that in episode 3 Anakin was going to have gotten hurt in the clone wars, and need a mask to help him breathe... and he just slowly gained the armor along the way, finally becoming Darth Vader after Palpatine somehow tricked him to the darkside. (This was before episode 3 came out, after episode 2. I was about 8 at the time.)

Well, I always knew I was a strange child.

Mirica Eclipse

23. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    Okay, so when my sister (mirica) and i were about six or seven we saw star wars for the first time, my dad convised us after saying there was a princess...lol, not so anymore!

Okay, so for the longest time I thought the face Luke saw in vaders mask (ESB the cave) was Vader, it took reading the novel years later to figure out it was lukes face! lol. (i'd seen the pictures fro episode 2 and thought that it looked like anakin...)

Arica.

24. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    Oh man, so many.....I remember that original thread, so I'll try and re-post what I put in that way almost a decade ago!

1. I thought the Vader in the cave in ESB was a model that Yoday built to tell Luke that Vader was his father

2. I thought my dad was personal friends with George Lucas because Lucas was the focus one night on 60 Minutes (or one of those shows). My dad asked, "how would you like to go to his house and meet him one day?" ....he was asking hypothetically but as a 6/7 year old, I thought he wanted to know so that he could call George and let him know we were coming

3. 3PO to R2 - "you old weight lobber priest" haha

4. "maybe it's another girl"

5. the little lamp Yoda takes from Luke in ESB was actually Yoda's lightsaber

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'm picturing R2 spitting out dumbbells like he did Luke's lightsaber in RotJ.