main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Novels.........

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by Jowebee17, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jowebee17

Jowebee17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    This could easily wind up being a lead in topic to the up-coming EU thread.

I was looking for some help as to which novels to start with when it comes to reading the Star Wars novels in order chronologically.

I have some lists of books I have got from various sites and friends that list most of the novels in order, but I am still looking for a grand master-list if you will with every single book written and the chronological order in which the events happen. The force.net even has a list in order, but after comparing it to some other lists, it seems to be missing some books.

If anyone would like to post ideas, a list, or even some good links for this information I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    There are lists of books on the inside covers of the EU books.

If you are going to start though, start with the trilogy. Best 3 books I ever read. Course they read just like the movies.

I have a list someplace, if you'd like I can e-mail you mine. I have to update it a little but it has all the books, well except for the ones with Anakin and Obi-Wan.

3. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    Well, if you want to start chronologically with the EU, start with Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Personally, I would suggest starting with the Thrawn Trilogy and go from there.

4. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    This is a good reference for everyone who is planning on reading the books in chronological order. This list was taken from the last book in the NJO series, making it the most complete list of the novels. I have not included the graphic novels (comics) only because I'm too lazy to look the up (that and I do not have all of them ;) )

44 Years Before A New Hope
    Jedi Apprentice series
    33:
    Darth Maul: Sabotuer
    Cloak of Deception
    32.5:
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    32:
    A Phantom Menace
    29:
    Rogue Planet
    22.5:
    The Approaching Storm
    22:
    Attack of the Clones
    21.5:
    Shatterpoint
    19:
    Episode III
    10-0:
    The Han Solo Trilogy:
    The Paradise Snare
    The Hutt Gambit
    Rebel Dawn
    5-2:
    The Adventures of Lando Calrissian
    Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
    Lando C. and the Flamewind of Oseon
    Lando C. and the Starcave of ThonBoka
    The Han Solo Adventures:
    Han Solo at Star's End
    Han Solo's Revenge
    Han Solo and the Lost Legacy
    Year 0:
    A New Hope
    0-3:
    Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye (sucks IMO)
    3:
    The Epire Strikes Back
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters
    3.5:
    Shadows of the Empire
    4:
    Return of the Jedi
    Tales from Jabba's Palace
    The Bounty Hunters Wars:
    The Mandalorian Armor
    Slave Ship
    Hard Merchandise
    6.5-7.5:
    X-Wing
    Rogue Squadren
    Wedge's Gamble
    The Kyptos Trap
    The Bacta War
    Wraith Squadron
    Iron Fist
    Solo Command
    8:
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    A Forest Apart
    Tatooine Ghost
    9:
    The Thrawn Trilogy
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    X-Wing
    Isard's Revenge
    11:
    I, Jedi
    The Jedi Acadamy Trilogy
    Jedi Search
    Dark Apprentice
    Champions of the Force
    12-13:
    Children of the Jedi
    Darksaber
    Planet of Twilight
    Xwing
    Starfighters of Adumar
    14:
    The Crystal Star
    16-17:
    The Black Fleet Crisis
    Before the Storm
    Shield of Lies
    Tyrant's Test
    17:
    The New Rebellion
    18:
    The Corellian Trilogy
    Ambush at Corellia
    Assualt at Selonia
    Showdown at Centerpoint
    19:
    The Hand of Thrawn Duology
    Specter of the Past
    Vision of the Future
    22:
    Junior Jedi Knights series(children's books)
    23-24:
    Young Jedi Knights series(children's books)
    25-30:
    The New Jedi Order
    Vector Prime
    DarkTide 1: Onslaught
    Dark Tide 2:Ruin
    Agents of Chaos 1:Hero's Trail
    Agents of Chaos 2:Jedi Eclipse
    Balance Point
    Recovery
    Edge of Victory 1:Conquest
    Edge of Victory 2:Rebirth
    Star by Star
    Dark Journey
    Enemy Lines 1:Rebel Dream
    Enemy Lines 2:Rebel Stand
    Traitor
    Destiny's Way
    Ylesia (eBook)
    Force Heritic 1:Remnant
    Force Heritic 2:Refugee
    Force Heritic 3:Reunion
    The Final Prophesy
    The Unifying Force

5. Jowebee17

Aug 16, 2003
    Wow, Thanks Ondiv..you are simply...the best !!!!!

6. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    [face_blush] awww....thanks Jowebee, I do what I can.

Just out of curiousity, what is everyone reading right now? And is anyone reading the NJO? I'm currently reading the last book in the Jedi Acadamy Trilogy, aswell as the Unifying Force (NJO).

7. Master_Beorn

Master_Beorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm rereading David Eddings' The Elenium again...

I know that's not the answer that you were looking for... :)

8. Jowebee17

Aug 16, 2003
    Well I decided to start at the beginning. Although by the time I work my way up through the novels I am sure something else will come out that will totally mess up the order or something.

I just started Cloak of Deception. I decided to skip the E-book about Darth Maul since I heard it wasn't great and was only 52 pages or something like that.

9. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Beorn, I've never heard of David Eddings' The Elenium (please don't stone me...); What is it about?

Jowebee that is so awesome that you are starting from the very begining! I haven't read any of the prequel books. I'm going to start those when I'm finished with the NJO.

10. Master_Beorn

Master_Beorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Oh Heck...

David Eddings is a fantasy writer... Look up the Belgariad, for starters. The first book is caled Pawn of Prophecy. It's interesting. Not great writing, but entertaining.

11. Jowebee17

Aug 16, 2003
    David Eddings is a great writer...I enjoy his stories a lot.

But we are talking about Star Wars novels though.

12. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Have we ever really stayed on a topic in all the threads? ?[face_plain] hehehe

We could tell you which novels to avoid if you'd like. I'd suggest Kevin J. Anderson but that's just my own personal views. You could read I, Jedi and get the same thing, well not as much depth into the characters that will come out in the NJO but you do get the basic story line.

Now don't get me wrong, KJA is a good author, I just didn't like some of the 'twists' he did on the stories, well it's not just him, it's a few other authors as well. But they did get permission from Lucasfilm to do it, so we get to live with it.

Okay I'm ranting now, that's what you get when I'm on 3 hours of sleep. :D

13. Jowebee17

Aug 16, 2003
    I really thought I would get more feedback on this ???????

14. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    sorry, we are ignoring you Jowebee :p
    ~~~~~~~~
    I just finished the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson (gasp!). I enjoy this series because of the development of the characters as far as relation to the other books (Leia as the Chief of State, Luke starting the Jedi Academy, intro of Kyp Durron). A lot of the characters that I know really love in the NJO were developed in this series. I am a huge Mara Jade fan and just loved her involvement :D
    I re-read this series atleast once a year to keep fresh on a lot of side plot lines that are starting. I see this as kinda a starting point for the NJO. The Solo kids play larger roles, Kyp comes into the picture, Luke and Mara's relationship sparks a little (only to be stalled by Lando). In addition I love the idea of the Maw Installation; I was pro Qui and Wedge and was sad when her character was written out in later books. I really came to enjoy her character.
    Okay, I know that some people don't like KJA...and I can understand why. I'm not in full agrement in how he writes the main characters (Luke, Leia, Han). I have such a strong idea of what they are like from the movies that a lot of times the books really don't flow well in my mind. I enjoy how he writes Han, but not so much Luke.

I'm tired, I'm going to bed. I just wanted to post my thoughts on the book :)
    Comments, Questions?

15. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    I liked the Jedi Academy Trilogy, as well as Darksaber. KJA's books are pretty good, but he does seem to overuse the superweapon angle.

I also just finished The Unifying Force a couple of nights ago. Good read, that one.

16. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    If anyone is interested:
    I double bought two books in the NJO and would like to 'donate' them to a cause (give them to someone who would like to read them :) ). The books are the Agents of Choas duology, Hero's Trial and Jedi Eclipse. Both are paperback and in good condition (I haven't read these so they aren't chewed on)
    If anyone wants them let me know and I'll bring them to the sledding activity.

17. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    i just picked up tatooine ghost last night ... does anyone know if it's good? is approaching storm any good? i'd like to read that one as well. and i'm wondering when shatterpoint is out in paperback cause i really want to read that one.

edit: typos [face_blush]

18. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    Tatooine Ghost is very good, I really enjoyed it.

19. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Tatooine Ghost is the bestest!!! *jumps up and down with excitement* I LOVED it!!!! The book is really good if you have read The Phantom Menance. I'm big into everything coming full-circle and this book really closed up TPM for me; It finished character stories, and shed Anakin/Vader in a new light. You will love it Idarii!
    I haven't read the Approaching Storm yet, I still need to buy it. I promised myself that I would start any of the prequel books until I finished the NJO...

20. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    whew okay glad to hear that it's good then ;) i haven't read phantom menace, is it worth it?

one book i read and i reeeeeally recommend, that's in the same vein as TPM, is darth maul: shadow hunter. that book just made me go wow. it was the fastest SW read i've ever done.

are there any more prequel era books besides shadow hunter, shatterpoint, and approaching storm? i read rogue planet and hated it...but i love the prequel era flavor.

21. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Rogue Planet fits in more with the NJO series.

I liked The Phantom Menace as a book, there was a whole lot more to it than in the movie, much like Attack of the Clones.

I'm still trying to read alot of the NJO, I just need to find a time where I can curl up and read. Course starting a new belly dancing class really stops you from curling up.

Here's an idea. why don't we discuss one book a month, we can start from some point in the EU, pick the book apart and go from there? Either discuss something that confused you about it or something that you wanted to broaden more. But I say a new thread should be made up about it.

22. Jowebee17

Aug 16, 2003
    Well, I am nearing the end of "Cloak of Deception". It has been a good read, of course there is still the ending to come. Anyway a brief summary. It takes place a little bit before "The Phantom Menace". It is somewhat of a political novel, which may seem boring but it really isn't.

It sets up all of the Trade Federation story and how they came into their part in TPM. It also covers more behind the scenes scheming by Palpatine. There is some decent action and some fairly good Jedi involvement. The main characters(Jedi) in this book are Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. But it also sheds some light on a few other jedi Characters.

I will not reveal any of the actual plotline, but it is a very good lead in to TPM, and the book is a good read. It also reads smoothly and quickly, if that makes sense?

23. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Doesn't it bring in Tarken? Or am I thinking another book? Have you read Shadow Hunter yet Jowebee? If not, read it ASAP, it's really good.

24. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Thanks for the recommendation, Jowebee. I haven't really understood what the federation is doing in TPM so 'Cloak' would prolly be a good read for me :) Man its late, I am so going to bed....

25. Jowebee17

Aug 16, 2003
    Yes it does also introduce Tarkin. He is somewhat of a dignitary or something, with aspirations of bigger and better things.

Oh and Shadow Hunter is my next read. I am gonna try and go in order. We'll see if I stay on course or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.