main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Republic Commando (XBox | PC)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord_of_the_Siths, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ywingempress

ywingempress Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2003
    Exactly, they're allowed to change stuff like that to make the game more fun. There's plenty of continuity that DF, JK, etc. have messed up for gameplay value as well. That's not a bad thing.

Republic Commando may not feel like Star Wars, but that's because we've never seen the SW galaxy from this perspective before. To quote an insightful article about SW games, not all of Star Wars is about "one man/Jedi/alien saving the universe on his/her/its own". I think it's great that we're finally seeing the galaxy from a different, yet just as compelling, perspective! Personally, I think it's amazing how well the game fit with the existing SW universe for me.

2. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    It was different, I'll give you that. But I enjoyed seeing the clonetrooper perspective of the clone wars. I only wish they had gotten into it a bit more; Starfighter corps, ARC Troopers, etc. Plus, more levels would have been nice.

You have 2 dialogues with common clonetroopers in the Ghost Ship level of RC, and to me, they seemed to be sniveling wusses. That fellow in the torpedo bay seemed mighty nervous, and one of the survivors that says "Ah you're one of those 'deluxe models'. Come to save us with your superior training?" came off as sounding whiney and insecure. Granted, the common clonetroopers weren't as qualified as commanders, ARC Troopers, or Commandos, but I thought these two aforementioned instances were a little strange.

I still liked RC a lot though, don't get me wrong :)

3. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    I believe the deluxe model thing was to mock the RCs, whom stock clones think are jst show-offy morons.

4. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    That's something i noticed to, Like those clones really need your help to blast there way through a couple of stupit battle droids. That was, well, it was just stupit. Further, I think this game is even better then Halo.

5. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I was looking forward to it aswell, but why the hell did they change everything? Why couldn't we fight the known characters. It would have made the game much more fun.

IMO now it seems like from an alternate WARS universe :(

6. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I think nowadays, you're seeing apart-from-the-movies Star Wars material that are either close rips of the movies like the Episode III console game, or what you just said "an alternate (Star) Wars Universe". Take the Clone Wars cartoon for instance. You see in certain episodes that Jedi like Mace Windu are near-invincible, jumping hundreds of feet into the air onto CIS ships, surviving falls, killing hundreds of battle droids (even Anakin kicking a lot of ass in space to such a degree that we haven't seen in any Star Wars movie). That is a tall-tale or "alternate universe" (not to say those events in "Clone Wars" cartoons didn't happen, but it seems to me they are being seen from different eyes, or told by a different voice, apart from the Star Wars movies).

You also have KOTOR 2, where there are some spots in the game where the Exile is so very advanced, he can take dozens of mercs in that aliens only bar in Nar Shadaa or taking out many Dark Side masters with ease in the Trayas Academy, in such a dazzling, effortless manner that looks as if you're watching a Zhang Yimou movie.

Someone on this thread mentioned the enemies in RC look bigger and meaner than they would typically look elseware (and the super battle droids are armored tanks compared to what we see in the films and games like Battlefront), as well as some coloring discrepancies. On a practical level, we can say it's due to seperate companies, seperate artists working on the same fictional universe. On a storytelling level, you can attribute it to different sources telling stories from the same world. Tall-tales as opposed to dramas that try to lean toward "realism" (in the relative sense, heh).

I agree with you in the sense that I wish RC would have felt just a little more "Star Warsy", but I personally enjoyed the contrast in mood from the typical Star Wars game, as well as all the musical tracks (whether they be by Williams or Harlin).

7. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Don't get me wrong I loved the gameplay, I loved the story (a little short, but well) and I do not care wheather or not CW characters are too strong. I just wish it had the right look. That's all.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I guess I see what you're saying.

Aside from the occassion astromech wandering around, it didn't look like Star Wars. It was pretty dark and gritty and lacked the fantasy milieu of the Star Wars films and other games like KotOR.

9. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Which is what makes it so good.

10. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    [image=http://www.golem.de/0108/15285-aki_und_team.jpg]

What a bunch of wannabes... :p

(Yeah, I know I've used the pic in the Lit forum, but it's just too ripe for anything RC [face_mischief] )

11. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    Yes. That was my main problem with it.:)

12. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    To be honest I prefer the art direction in RC to all other SW games, and to some extent the movies.

The level of polish on the game is evident from the first brilliant interactive cutscene, and the first level where your gunship drops into the battle, it just feels so real. Then the action doesn't stop for a seccond, sure it's quite short, but the action comes in so thick and fast it's excusable, and the level of detail is amazing, looking up and seeing Assault ships bombarding, the inner components of the assault ship.. it's brilliant. Then there's all the little details on enemies, like shooting a trando's jetpack, battledroids going crazy after you've blown their heads off and the superbattledroids still trying to kill you even when lying on the floor. Not to mention your own squad. I can play this game again and again and find somthing new each time. I haven't even mentioned the great music, voice acting and setpieces.

The enemies actually seemed dangerous. In Ep3 the Super battle droids (and all the battle droids) were... silly. Very, very silly. With stupid high-pitched voices. In this game when you see a super battle droid (which have far more menacing voices in this game) unless you have a good supply of EMP grenades, your going to have to worry about this enemy. The gritty realistic universe almost makes me wish the SW universe was this way. Especially since it's the generally pretty kiddy friendly prequal trilogy we're seeing this way.

So those moaning about the lack of SW feel, get over it and go and play Jedi Academy with your pall Rosh, or ROTS where you can swing those shiny sabers to your hearts content.

13. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    I do, regulary ;)

I just think a SW game should have the typical SW style. That's how I love the movies, that's how I want the games to be. :)

14. ywingempress

Sep 29, 2003
    Sorry to bump the thread... hope it's legit.

But I have one question: in the Kashyyyk campaign, there's a level with the title "V.I.W" ... does anyone know what this stands for or means? I've tried AcronymFinder, Google, etc., but to no avail and it's really starting to bother me. ;)

Also, I don't know if anyone's ever done this, but I've taken it upon myself to try and translate the Aurebesh on the title screen. I discovered that most of it does actually say stuff! Here's some of what the text says (_ means I couldn't make out a letter). It looks like one of the developers/artists just copied and pasted from their email or something! :)
    Looking forward to ha

Ging out -- and hearing more about trip back home

Sian doctor dude, _ Sunday

'll be in PA for July 4th ___
    - wanna do that again? 13 years

Later? Otherwise I'm not sure if I'll be back in city on Monday or stay down there since I do have that day off... let me know how things unfold for you.
    Very cool, eh? :) (Oh, and on the Kashyyyk market concourse? The large signs say "LOVE" and "HUGS". :D)

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Very Important Wookiee

16. ywingempress

Sep 29, 2003
    That works. :) Thanks.

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Ha, that's awesome about the Aurabesh :D

and by the way, it's perfectly "legit" to bump old threads - especially if it's a post with content and, most importantly, if it's the official thread on something! Mod love that. Just don't create a KotOR thread :p

18. NewWorldOrder

NewWorldOrder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    i'm finally gonna buy this today

19. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I was replaying this game, and the RC timeline makes no sense. The game says General Grievous is on Kasshyyk right before Yoda invades, but wasn't he on Utaupau fighting Obi Wan Kenobi?

20. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    that also puzzled me after RotS. Is the whole Kashyyyk mission really on one day (well, night)?

But even if, RotS timeline isn't quite clear either. Yoda's on Kashyyyk a bit earlier than Obi-Wan on Utapau. It might be weeks, so it's possible.

but actually, the scene in RC made me think the shot that was in the trailer of Obi-Wan in the hangar surrounded by droids facing Grievous was on Kashyyyk. Especially what with the Wookiees apparent love for hangars in the game.

21. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    In ROTS, Grievous arrives on Utapau on a comepletly different spacecraft. He left his old ship in a hanger where Obi Wan finds it later? Confusing.

22. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    that's the smallest problem. it got shipped there. Grievous likes to escape. He won't escape on that lame shuttle, he'd take his hyperspace-capable starfighter and therefore would have it parked somewhere. They do arrive at his fighter in RotS after all.

at least the Invisible Hand wasn't in RC :p

23. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    But the main thing about RC was that his bodyguards were also on Kasshyyk. How did they get there?

24. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Grievous could have been on Kashyyyk.

He left Coruscant in an escape pod and the next time we see him he is on a nemoidian shuttle. SO he must have stopped somewhere right?
    Perhaps he called for a flagship to pick him up where he then left the escape pod, got into his fighter (as seen in ROTS) and took it to kashyyyk.
    After doing his stuff he then goes to utapau and his fighter is shipped later.

I think the main problem is that poeple think ROTS is shorter then it is. Padme's pregnancy is an indicator that it could have gone on for months. This means we can allow Grievous the time he needds to perform this.

25. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    GL has said that ROTS only takes place in a couple of days. Padme is at full pregnancy during the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.