main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Star Wars RPG

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Drk Father1, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Anyone intersted in starting a Star Wars RPG campaign? My wife and I would both like to play, and I can even run it (although I'd really love to just play). I was thinking something along the lines of once every other week or so.

I'll even volunteer our house, there's plenty of room for a small gaming group.

2. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    I got my friends together over the weekend and made up characters for the campaign I'm getting ready to run. We're going to play weekly on Saturday nights starting on June 8 (so after the picnic, I'll be heading home to start the campaign).

There are five players (two soldiers, one scout, one Jedi Guardian, and an astromech unit). I don't know if I would want any more that that; I kind of think that more than five and you have too much "wait time" between turns during the combat and stuff.

I was originally going to run the campaign during the timeframe of the Empire, but I decided to capitalize on the fact that Ep2 is fresh on everyone's minds and run it during the prequel era. So the first game takes place six weeks after the Battle of Geonosis.

I know Gregg was wanting to join a game. If you end up running a campaign, Phil, maybe we could have some week down the line when your group and my group could play together and we could co-run an adventure or something.

-John

3. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    That would be cool. My group limit is usually 5 or 6 too, so I know what you're talking about. More than that is hard to keep up with. Let me know if you have any extra players looking for a game.

I also kicked around an idea that if we had a bunch of people we could get three groups together and work out a campaign that would have each group intersect with one another every now and then, kind of like our own "Living Force" kind of thing.

4. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    Hey Phil, you definitely have me,so I am ready to go whenever :)

5. Stephen_R

Stephen_R Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    Hey guys,

I would like to join a game. Problem is I've never palyed any RPG game ever. So I'll need to be taught. I'll understand if that's too much of a slow down. Thanks

6. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Hey Steve, I havent ever played before either, so you won't be alone! But it will definitely be something that will be worth learning! I can't hardly wait!! OOOH ...Im giddy with antici....pation. ;)

7. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    Don't worry if you've never played before; you'll pick it up right off the bat. I don't know about anyone else here who GM's, but if you play in a game that I run, rules are the last thing you have to worry about.

I used to run AD&D "Ravenloft" for almost six years before WotC licensed it out to White Wolf, and in that campaign, which utilized a gothic setting, you learned that the storyline was what mattered the most. That's why I don't tolerate "rules junkies" as I call them in my campaigns. If you have to stop the game so somebody can keep looking up nitpicky crap in the rule book just so they get an extra +1 bonus to hit, that's unacceptable.

But I digress....at C2 they were demoing the game to people who had no experience whatsoever, and they usually caught on before the end of the first round.

Another thing is that, when I run a game, I like it to be very visual. I think it not only helps players get a better mental picture of the situation without having to resort to the dreaded "boxed text" (ie, pre-written stuff that you read aloud during the game), but for combat, it's REALLY useful. Previously I've always been an advocate of using miniatures, but I'm taking a page from the Wizards C2 demo this time and using the SW action figures! I had my people make up their characters, and I'm almost done making custom action figures to represent each character. Wizards actually had this in mind in the revised rules, as they list the movement distances and scales and stuff to use if you're using action figures IN the book. I thought that was pretty cool. I think my players will like it, and at the end of the campaign I'll let them keep their custom figure.

I am definitely up for some kind of eventual crossover, Phil. So once things get rolling with your group let me know and we'll get together and talk about it sometime.

My real goal for this campaign is to let it run for three years. As it's set right after "Attack of the Clones," I want to let it go until Episode III comes out, and then compare how things have evolved in our campaign with what Lucas brings to the screen in the last film. :)

-John

8. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    Hey Stephen I'd be glad to have you! With you, Mel, and my wife we'd just about have enough! My wife's got a little experience with RPG's but not a whole lot. Beginning players are not a problem.

And like John, I'm not a rules lawyer either. As long as the story moves along and everyone has fun, that's all that matters!

I was actually thinking about running a campaign set 1500 years before Episode I. During the time period when the Sith were still around. (500 years before the battle of Ruusan when the Sith were thought to be extinguished but were re-founded by Darth Bane). Pirates, Slavers, Sith, Dark Side Mystics, and MANDALORIANS......plenty to do for fledgeling Jedi and operatives of the Republic. :D

9. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    I have 1 question. When you create your character, you have to make it coincide with the other players' characters correct? I.E. -You can't be a bounty hunter and have everyone else be Jedi? I was wondering about that...because I have been trying to come up with some ideas for my character~let me know! ;)

10. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    Depends on the setting and the GM (game master). I think its best when everyone can sit down together and create their characters, that way everyone can sort of fill in on each other's weak spots. The kind of campaign I was going to run would allow you to pretty much play anything you wanted, so long as they weren't totally devoted to the Dark Side. Not all Bounty Hunters are necessarily "bad guys", some can be honest and well-meaning, while others could just be plain neutral. Let me know what you're leaning towards and I can offer you plenty of cool ideas.

I guess I would have some limitations, I mean, I wouldn't really allow someone to play a Hutt...

11. Jedi9650

Jedi9650 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I'm willing to do anyone's game, but I would like to make a pitch for mine as well if any are interested. My campaign will take place sometime before the events of episode II, stay in that time fram for awhile, then take the same characters and run them in the rebellion era. This game will be ran on either monday or tuesday nights after 1130pm. Please drop me a line if you are interested. Thanks

12. Stephen_R

Stephen_R Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    Thanks Drkfather, Just keep me posted on dates times and what to do and such. I would love give it a shot.

13. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    Cool.

Now we just need 1 or 2 more players.....

14. Zam-the-Assasin

May 29, 2002
    Hey Phil, just let me know when you are ready to start playing, I am ready to go! ;)

15. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    Okay, I still need at least 1 more player..., two more would be preferable, but at leat 1. Anyone....anyone....anyone.....

Game would be at my house, probably every other week. At night, but the exact day is up to everyone...

Darksiders, Mandalorians, Sith....come on, you know you want to play! ;)

16. Jedi9650

Jedi9650 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I dont know if you counted me oh Drk Father 1. Just wanted to make sure if you did.

17. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    Ahah! Sorry, I thought you were passing. Hooray! I have four players!!!!!

Hmmmm. Now I just need to put enough together to get us started and running!!!! :D

When are you guys available to play? I prefer Friday or Saturday nights (I know, I know, prime partying time, but I'm married and don't get to party anymore), but any night of the week would do (other than Thursdays, wife has to work late then).

On the weekend I would be willing to host our game time from something like 7 or 8 at night until about midnight or a little later. During the week I couldn't go any later than 11:00 (my bedtime).

18. Jedi_AzizoRho

Jedi_AzizoRho Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm new to the forum, but very experienced in RPGs. Is there any space left in the game? The last post on this subject is almost 2 weeks old. I hope this doesn't mean it's dead.

19. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    Welcome! Glad you could join us! Actually I wouldn't mind having an extra player and we haven't started playing yet. I've been working on a storyline and maps (etc.,etc.) so we can get started.

I was actually hoping to hear more from the other playes so we can work out times/dates. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.