main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth_Zandalor, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Not to mention that before TOR comes out, another terrible TCW "game" will probably be out.

Before TFUII came out, and I thought it was going to be good, I was afraid that Lucasarts was struggling and would stop making SW games. Now I wouldn't care if their headquarters was wiped off the face of the earth, so long as we don't get Republic Heroes II and the TFUII Special Special, Special Edition: Play a level you already have for five bucks!©

2. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    I thought this was a good game but the story and game needed to be much longer. I thought Starkiller was running away from Vader the whole game not just one level.

What they should have done is have you escape from Kamino and crash on some cool planet because your not a good driver. Then Vader chases you through the world when you confront him but the whole time he is telling you that you are a clone and you have flash backs to Juno thinking she could be the answer. You are able to escape barely and make your way to Cato Nemodia because you think Kota could help you. You escape with him but you desert him on Malestare, where you play a level as Kota rescuing trooper that where caught and sent there instead of Cato Nemodia. On Dagabo you should have fought a monster or something. You see yoda and go into the cave and then go back to Malestare and join Kota in the fight to rescue players. Then you have to run away as Vader sent troops to catch you. You return to the fleet and and barely catch Juno being captured. You don't know where Boba Fett takes her because he leads a false trail to a planet where a starkiller clone tries to kill you. (the plan by vader was to make you double think you where a clone). Then you go to Kamino and find Juno and Vader lets him defeat you so you can bring him to the secret rebel base where the game ends. You can still have the storyline just make it longer. It was fun when I was planning it but when one level consist of running 10 feet to complete a whole level I wanted to punch Lucas.

Beginning of next game you are Vader running train on the rebel base.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Wanna know something REALLY sick and wrong?

I've had more fun with AC-Brotherhood (in two hours of gameplay) than I got from starting AND finishing the FU-too game. This Unlockable (for-a-fee) Content (in no way should this rubbish EVER be called DLC; it was preinstalled!!) is the feather that will break this Rancor's back.

I rarely; if ever, use the big, bad eff-word...
    It's all I can do to keep from using that four-letter-monster repeatedly in the same sentence with LA and this pile of dung called FU-too. I'd make for a ripe Sith Apprentice, right about now, cuz the hate is flowing through me.:p

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Funny you bring the Assasin's Creed series into this, because it's part of the point I need to drive home here for the umpteenth time. Assasin's Creed 1 was a good game. Not a great game, but one awfully good game whose shortcomings could easily be fixed with a sequel. And the sequel did just that magnificently.

FU1 was an average game that failed to deliver on its premise as a showcase of the new DMM and Euphoria technologies (to add insult to injury, GTA IV was a better showcase of the possibilities Euphoria offered). And then there's the story, canon-bending to an almost breaking point as it was, making the average game fall a few notches to the sub-par category. In the lightside canon ending Starkiller died and that should've been that. But then on that '09 VGA show came the unexpected announcement of an unexpectedly (and all too soon to boot) sequel to this subpar game, with your main character inexplicably back from the dead and for some reason now acquainted with Yoda. And you guys honestly didn't have a really bad feeling about this back then? I am sincerely surprised you and some of the folks here had such high hopes from this game and from LA in general that you actually pre-ordered the bloody thing. Pardon my french now but, y'all should've seen it coming instead of allowing LA 2 FU up the you-know-what yet again.

5. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I find it hilarious the upcoming "DLC" for TFUII is priced at 1 dollar. Like I said on their official site, "Given the past DLC for the first game, it'll probably be worth a bit less than that." Should be free, seeing that it'll be about 32 minutes of stupid.

6. GreyJedi23

GreyJedi23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2010
    Well I did say I felt like an idiot, but I wasn't paying enough attention to the game during the lead up because my disappointment with the first title made me ambivalent about the second. However, the demo for the second game was what got me interested, but like with the first game, the demo hoodwinked me into thinking this would be a much better game, so yeah I should have seen this coming. I agree with Invidious's points about Assassin's creed 1 & 2. I also feel that the original tfu was too ambitious and was a missed chance at being a good game.

7. majorlynch

majorlynch Jedi Master star 1

Apr 7, 2010
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for introducing me to this site!!!!!!!

=D= =D= =D=

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

8. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Not to dredge up an argument from a couple of pages back, but with regards to Jedi Academy and whether it was a standalone game or an expansion pack:

I remember picking it up on launch day. I myself enjoyed the game, but remember the fans complaining that it was just an expansion pack of Jedi Outcast thinly disguised as a standalone release.

Kind of funny how it parallels all the complaints of TFUII, with "Just an Expansion pack" replaced with "Just some DLC".

As for TFUII: Much like Jedi Academy, i enjoyed the game. It may have helped that i really paid zero attention to any of the advertising for it, and so did not know that Boba Fett and Yoda were involved. I thought those were cool cameos. Apparently they were hyped up to be more in the development? Maybe i'd be disappointed if that's the truth, but i had no idea and so was not.

Do I wish the game was longer? Sure, but i think that probably says something right there about the game. I at least had enough fun with it that i wish it were longer. In this day and age i so very rarely have the time to beat a game (real life gets in the way), so for a game to hold my interest to the end is really saying something.

What is there is vastly superior in gameplay to the first game. The controls are TIGHT.

I also find the story gets unnecessarily slagged on. It does it's job, and brings back characters from the first game that i was surprised to find i actually cared about (Like Rota.)

People complain about how ridiculously overpowered Starkiller is, but i have to say i think the game paints a picture that actually justifies this. The Rebellion NEEDS this type of advantage getting started because, at this stage of their development, it really does seem like they are just peeing into the wind when trying to fight the empire. I like that element. They're showing how the Rebellion got to the point in the movies where it could actually CHALLENGE a vast galactic Empire.

I'd rank it a 7.5/10, because i do wish it were longer. I'd say rent it until a price drop, though to be quite honest I don't regret having paid full price. I was never bored with the game, and many bits (like when your guiding a Nebulon B into Kamino) are downright epic.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You know, it's funny. The wii version of this game seems to be getting more praise than the other versions, which wasn't really the case for the first game. I don't regret buying this, since it was really fun to play. Overall I'm not really upset that the story is bantha poodoo, although it does make me dread reading the book eventually. I did read the comic and it wasn't too bad, but just focusing on the story makes you realise Starkiller is a whiny man-child whose motives are shaky at best.

As for the DLC, I don't get it anyway since I have a wii, but even so I do find it a bit ridiculous that people are complaining. It's ONE dollar. That kinda implies that the developers know it's not really worth anything, just an easy way to make a marginal profit from the many people who will eagerly pay for some more fun. But if I had access to it then yeah, I'd totally pay the extra buck for extra content. Because it's all for fun. If I wanted to play a long game with a great story I'd play Final Fantasy or yeah, Assasin's Creed. I go into a SW game with the expectation that it might have a crappy story, especially after Battlefront: Elite Squadron. As long as the gameplay is fun and it looks shiny, I'll enjoy.

One of my favorite games when I was growing up was Star Fox 64, which I could easily beat in only a few hours. Did that stop mefrom replaying it? No, since I could always replay it and have a different experience each time. Just like with TFU, and just like with TFU2. Sure with these two games there isn't much room for variety, but it's always fun to do awful things to countless stormtroopers and other mooks. :D Or playing through the whole game in different costumes, or different lightsaber combinations. So, in the end, the Force Unleashed franchise is a shameless attempt to make money, but I don't care since I fave a good time either way. plus, their's always eBay for those games I grow tired of or flat out hate. Either I really enjoy a game and get my money's worth of good times, or I play a bad game and make money on the sale and return to square one again.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    And some players payed 60-80 for the game and received content that was worth half that because the game played like half a game. And in the case of the collector's edition, some content was not accessible. Therefore, those upset, like myself, take issue with the principle of asking for yet more money for content that has been known to be on the disk. Now, in fairness, they only mentioned costumes were a dollar. If the actual levels are free, then that is another matter.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well if that's the case then it seems the complaints may be justified. I agree that if something is already on the disk then it shouldn't cost extra, they should have just not included it in the first place, that way they could justify the extra cost, whatever it may turn out to be.

12. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I thought that the extra costume was $1 whereas the actually DLC level(s) was standard DLC price...around $10?

13. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-6908-The-Force-Unleashed-II-Endor-DLC-Lets-You-Kill-Ewoks-[Updated-With-Price].html

I know its not official. But thats what everyone seems to think.

14. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Huh, that's pretty cheap. But still, it's for a level you already have on a game that's cheap as it is. [face_thinking]

It's definately still a ripoff. :p

15. Celeste_Morne

Celeste_Morne Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2008
    Paid 40 bucks for this game on pc and loved it. The DLC trailer looks so awesome - leia fight!!! I am extremely displeased it is not coming to pc. If we get like an Ultimate Sith Edition of it with another dlc later on (unlikely) I will literally rebuy the game.

16. EmeraldBlade

EmeraldBlade Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2008
    Quick Question:

Why does Vader Force Push Juno when she takes his blade?

Just watched the cutscenes and this bit confused me.

17. LONEWOLF09

LONEWOLF09 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    She actually took one of Starkiller's lightsabers and Vader force pushed Juno because she tried to attack him from behind and missed so he threw her.

18. EmeraldBlade

Apr 19, 2008
    Could he not have just took the Saber back?

It wrecked his whole plan.

19. troyamber

troyamber Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2010
    In my opinion the game was a failure, it wasn't as good as the first one. I felt it was to linear you didnt get so much freedom of exploring things. The game was was incredibly rushed until the end plus the "good" ending didnt make any sense at all o_O

The only good thing I can think of about this game is the graphic nothing else...

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    This was the only game I ever had buyer's remorse on. I played the demo and I was really hoping for a great game. Instead all I was left with was this feeling of regret and horribleness. What a letdown. I can forgive bad games, too. I still play Rebellion to this day despite it not having anything resembling graphics or a storyline. Hell, I can even play Galactic Battlegrounds. This piece of crap, though...this just...wow...what a turd. Someone should get a lump of coal up their *** for approving and releasing this game.

21. EmeraldBlade

Apr 19, 2008
    Vader must be sick of losing his arm.

22. sethsky

sethsky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2005
    I bought the Endor dlc and character pack, both for 1 euro.

Big spoilers for the Endor dlc:

First bossbattle is Starkiller vs Han/Chewie. It ends with Han shooting at Starkiller who uses Chewie as a ragdoll shield. Chewie dies. Then Starkiller finishes off Han with a lightsaber through the stomach. Leia is the last boss, she trained to become a jedi after her brother fell on Hoth. In the end Starkiller kills her. We see Sidious and Vader on the deathstar, Sidious is happy that the Rebels are finally destroyed then he tells Vader that he knew of his betrayel that he was planning with the evil clone of Starkiller. He quickly overtakes Vader with sithlighting which makes Vader lose his lightsaber and seemingly submit. Sidious orders his troops to kill the clone. Last shot is of Starkiller on Endor in meditation pose/closed eyes. You can see 3 or so deathstars coming up behind him in the distance. He then opens his eyes.

23. LONEWOLF09

Jan 3, 2009
    My theory was right about Leia since it didn't make any sense why Luke wasn't in the trailer while Leia had a lightsaber. I think it would make more sense if Palpatine tried to make the evil clone his new apprentice and then just kill Vader later. That last part seems sort of stupid since if the Empire had multiple death stars, the battle wouldn't really last that long and the Rebels would just get smoked. How was the DLC anyway since I only rented the game after hearing about the length and after finshing it in two nights.

24. Dreamer_Sith

Dreamer_Sith Jedi Knight

Dec 9, 2010
    I have a feeling all my points have been said already, but I'll throw my quick little review into the mix:

I picked up the game at midnight on release date. Was so sxcited for what was promised an improvment on everything from the first. Got home, played it quite a bit, went to bed. Got up that morning, did usual stuff, came home at a later time, beat the game. Now I was extremely shocked that it was over. The first game I was sure provided at least a few more hours than this one did. I was also sure I'd visited about five more locations at least, even if they were different levels on worlds I had visited. I did not really bother with the challenges as I bought the game to continue the story of the first, and was left with several more questions than I had previously left with. So to sum all this up:

PROS:
    Combat was improved. I know some people still have issues, but i felt it was better this time around.
    Control seemed better to me, though not much different really.
    Unleashing the force in various ways was kind of fun.

CONS:
    Stupid, stupid story, with a stupid idea for an ending. The big question raised since the game was announced was never answered, followed by the world's largest cliffhanger which has to resolvedfor the sake of the films. Since it seems TFU3 is destined to happen, I have little hope for it. Before leaving LA, Hayden Blackman mentioned this was the ESB of TFU. I dont see it.
    Frame rate issues. I cannot begin to say how many times during the game it slowed down on my 360 Elite.
    Too short. The first seemed to me a lot longer, with more locations and more variety. This was just repetative.
    A lot of the characters were wasted in this game. Yoda, which was a very hyped meeting in the first trailer was just...there....

I'm sure I could add a little more to the pros, and a lot more to the cons, but I'll leave it at those. If TFU3 does happen, it is going most likely on my rental list. I will play it to see the story end, but have little hope in the third game being any better. I'm under the impression the game was really unfinished, and was rushed out while they thought demand would still be high. Don't even get me started on the new DLC being released. I have said since it was announced that the perfect idea would be to add some extra levels into the story, to flesh out the game and give more to the characters. But no, it's more extreme fanboy catering where we can kill all our beloved heroes and fry some Ewoks because they're Ewoks.

25. LONEWOLF09

Jan 3, 2009
    The story makes a lot more sense if you do the challenges since it makes Darth Vader seem a lot smarter and better than he is then if you just see him get captured. The reason why I rented it and didn't buy is because I heard that the game was short and the novel didn't make it seem like the game would be that long since half of it dealt with the Rebel Alliance. I'm not spending $60 on a game that is basically 3 levels. The problem with the DLC is that in the novel, there wasn't anything else to do that didn't make it into the game besides killing a giant slug on Dagobah. It was basically half a game that came out of it so that probably had something to do with Hayden Blackman resigning. TFU 3 is probably cancelled since there was that report about people working on TFU II being fired after it comes out, but I guess we will see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.