main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW STAR WARS VS. STAR TREK

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Joel Moore, Oct 27, 2012.

?

STAR WARS VS. STAR TREK

1. STAR WARS

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. STAR TREK

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. BOTH

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. Joel Moore

Joel Moore Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2012
    Hey guys, thought it would be interesting to create a poll/debate on the age old question that is.... what's better? Star Wars or Star Trek? This is in no way intended to create rage or is not being questioned by a troll.

Both Star Wars and Star Trek have left a massive mark in popular culture and they both seem to have their fair share of fanatics. My questions is simple, which franchise is better and why?

Here are some loose guidelines that I think would be interesting within this debate, see if you can answer all of them and tell us your opinions.. Give us some of your own arguments/opinions too. Let's see who comes out on top!

* What Franchise means most to you?

* Can you be a fan of both franchises or do you have to choose?

* Who are the bigger/better fans?

* What franchise is the most acceptable to like?

* What Franchise has the most memorable characters?

* What has the lowest points? And do the low points of Wars/Trek beat the other franchise. I.E. (Prequels/odd numbered Trek films etc)

* Star Wars Prequels VS. JJ Abrams reboot.

Here's a survey to get your opinion out of the Star Wars forums and deeper into the internet

Edit: No advertising other websites. Thanks.

2. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Star Wars is better.

If you go out and do anything today i garuntee you will see or hear something "Star Wars" without even thinking about it. It surrounds us.

Anakin.Skywalker and Ordo N-11 like this.
  3. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I prefer Star Wars over Star Trek although I like both. I'd say that in terms of impact on real life, Star Wars has contributed more culturally while Star Trek has more concrete contributions to science and technology. I think this is because of the different origins of the two universes since Star Trek is assumed to be a possible future of ours so there is a more direct relationship to reality while Star Wars is definitely not in our galaxy. I also find Star Trek's universe to be more claustrophobic in the way it's presented than Star Wars is. Granted, the Star Wars film view the galaxy from the eyes of the Skywalkers (I don't know if Episode VII will do so but it's probably a good bet it will) while Star Trek uses the command crew of the Enterprise but I feel like you always get the sense that there's always something else going on that could be unrelated to Star Wars versus Star Trek. I guess, I just feel that Star Wars seems more like the characters inhabit it and Star Trek feels like a simulation (it kinda is since it's something Gene Roddenberry envisioned to be as the future for us). I do wish that fandoms don't make you pick and choose but I think it's part of the nature of the beast-- whenever you gather a group of people, there's going to be conflict.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  4. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    I enjoy both, but prefer SW. They are difficult to compare because they're really two different genres. SW is a fairy tale while ST is a fable.

kainee likes this.
  5. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I think considering this is Star Wars forum, Star Wars is gonna win.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  6. A'den Skirata

A'den Skirata Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    Sometimes, I think these are only compared because they both start with the word ''star''.

7. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    I'll simply say that as far as I know, Trek is better in several ways. For one, they base their entire 'universe' off of realistic 'future-tech' ie: ideas for how things could happen based off what math and science already know. More later. Gotta go.

8. Darkskar95

Darkskar95 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2013
    Hmmm Star WArs

Choose one

Hmm I don't know

Star Wars, Star Trek is boring

Hmmm Star Wars

* What has the lowest points? And do the low points of Wars/Trek beat the other franchise. I.E. (Prequels/odd numbered Trek films etc)
    Ahhh idk
    SW Prequels

9. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    'Star Wars' rules without even a shadow of doubt.

But I was a latecomer to the 'Star Trek' films after catching odd episodes on TV spanning Shatner and Stewarts helm as Captain, and really enjoyed the 10 films, as well as the 2009 one and even more so 'Into Darkness' does look brilliant.

I think they are simply two very different sci-fi projects. One was a real baby of the TV generation which won the minds and hearts of millions, the other was a product of B-movie film serials and won the hearts and minds of millions more on the silver screen.

Two very different approaches to the sci-fi genre, with 'Trek' rooted far more in reality than 'Wars', but in that case 'Wars' has been able to have a far greater use of imagination and creativity.

'Make Trek Not Wars'? Nah. Make both, there's room for two! [face_peace]

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  10. Twi'lekPrince

Twi'lekPrince Jedi Knight

Mar 24, 2013
    I apologize if this comes out the wrong way, but... I don't believe this is a question ;) In my opinion, Star Wars is a fascinating experience, while Star Trek is... Well, I believe icky is a polite way to put it :p

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  11. trekker28

trekker28 Jedi Master

Oct 16, 2008
    i'm probably going to be in the minority here, but i've always loved Trek more than Wars. I'm a huge fan of both, but i'm an older fan, who grew up during the "dark times" of star wars. I think i discovered wars first, but i wanted more space and science fiction, and i vaguely remember discovering TOS on the PBS channel. And i fell in love. so during hte 80s/90s i was growing up on TOS/TNG, while all us star wars fans had were the classic trilogy, and some droids/ewoks cartoons and ewok movies. But i never really cared for the later trek series. But i will always defend TOS/TNG.

12. FB92

FB92 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2013
    Star Wars is much much better.

There isn't a cute furry creature in Star Trek. So that's my first reason why I love SW more.

Plus I haven't really seen a full Star Wars film except for the most recent 2.

13. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    Star Wars!!!!

You can like both, but can only be a fan of one
    SW fans are better also bigger(in size)
    Star Wars
    Star Wars
    SW has no low Points!!!!
    Prequels

14. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    You've never seen a tribble, have you?
    [​IMG]
    * What Franchise means most to you?I like them both for different reasons. One thing I especially like about ST is the character exploration. One of the primary reasons for the character Spock was so the writers (Roddenberry) could explore a Vulcan-type psyche. Same for TNG with Worf. How do you gently explore a warrior-type psyche? By having so many single-minded races, you have the ability to explore your own psyche and reasons for what you do. I also liked how ST explored social problems such as race. The black-on-one-side race discriminating was very interesting. Message me if you want to know more about that one!

Certainly folks can be fans of both. They're very different from each other. I do agree with a previous poster. The only reason they're compared is because of "Star" in their names. Do you hear anyone saying "Which is better: Star Wars or Babylon 5?" How about "Firefly vs Doctor Who?"
    Toss-up. Yes. Both. Neither. Just go to a cosplay convention and count how many SW, ST and then count how many other characters there are.
    See above.
    With the EU exploration of the cantina monsters in "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" and other books, I think SW, but that's only because they haven't had the time to really explore all the ones from ST, yet.
    What has the lowest points? Soccer, aka Football. You can have any number of 1-0 matches. Hockey is a close second in that stead. Oh, not what you were asking? Sorry...
    Apples to oranges. I am really curious how the two JJ Abrams series will compare. THAT should be curious to compare!

sbk1234 likes this.
  15. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I voted for "both," though I'm more attached to SW and I don't care for JJ's Treks (well, the first one was ok but forgettable IMO and I didn't like much of the 2nd one at all)

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    I love all my kids equally.

17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    While I don't hate Star Trek, I still prefer Star Wars, just more interesting to me.

18. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Star Wars is absolutely awesome! The ultimate sci fi adventure. The concept of the Force, being campassionate and Good vs. Evil saga/thriller is pure gold. The lightsabers, the Jedi, the starfighters, starships and hyperspace are epic! I think this is the galaxy we wish we could be in. It would be unbelievably exciting. This is a galaxy so technologically sophisticated, that it is many many millennia into our future, perhaps in a galaxy far far away. Maybe it's already happening, or happened a long time ago..

Star Trek represents, I think, what we hope and wish humanity could become. It shows our potential when we work together, what we could achieve when we work together to solve poverty and strife and work as one species, rather than individual competing nations and bickering amongst ourselves/interfering in other cultures. When we realise we are not alone and explore the universe. And we hold ourselves to high moral ideals. I always enjoy Picard's speeches.

Both are great, and credit must go to both George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry for having such incredible imaginations to come up with both concepts.They have shaped both science fiction, Hollywood and hopefully humanity for time to come. I truly hope we can achieve Star Trek sometime soon and hey, I wish I could become a Jedi one day!

Edit: We do not allow this kind of stuff. Please, keep this in mind.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For me there is no vs involved. I like aspects of both. I consider Star Wars much less serious in tone than Star Trek. I like thinking, contemplation, and study. Trek seems much more geared to this than Wars. Both Sagas have fine performers and visionaries as creators.