main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

StarWars Galaxies on private servers

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by QuiWanKenJin, Feb 27, 2012.

1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005

Even though SOE shut down SWG last December, there are now private servers hosting the MMO. If I understand it correctly they essentialy created their own codes for the game in order to avoid infringment. But if I am not mistaken the PS are only serving pre NGE, pre CU versions of the game, which was of course better by far. However, does that mean my expansions, Rage of the Wookies and Trials of Obi-Wan are now caput; meaning I can no longer visit Kashyyk or Mustafar even though I have the software? :(

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's interesting news (the whole private-server thing.) My wife loved this game; would it be so simple as buying the game on Amazon and installing it to go use a private server? How exactly would you get to one?

3. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm guessing SWGemu is what he's referring to, DarthBoba.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Thanks. :D Of course she just told me she's not interested :p, but thanks anyway!

5. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005

Don't forget, it's free. You pay nothing, except the cost of the software. ;)

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I would say that pre-NGE/CU was better. The latest version was a much more solid game than the previous one. Unfortunately it can never be played again.

7. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005

There's still hope that there may be cu/nge servers eventually. However, I am still hoping to find an answer to my original question.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Sorry, I meant "I wouldn't say...". But yes, I hope the NGE/CU is eventually available.

9. Labria_uk

Labria_uk Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2000
    Very intriguing, I still have the original cds back from when it started, will give it a go when I time.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I too still have a copy of the game, I might play it when I get bored of TOR.

11. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    An update of sorts, SWGemu is still ongoing. They have a decent playable alpha or the pre-CU up and running right now which I play with my old Wookiee guild on a semi-regular basis. All you need are actual SWG discs and their version of the launchpad. A few professions are still being worked on, Creature Handler being one of them, but it's not bad at all and is getting better with each passing week.