main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Storm troopers: Diversity

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Remember those Storm Troopers? Of course you do! They were, and still are, the coolest things ever! They get shot once with armor on, and they die, and don't get me started on their awesomely terrible aim!

But there was one thing lacking, and it was their Diversity. I mean, sure the Prequels came after the the Originals, but in the Prequels you saw their armor evolve into awesomely wickeder armor. While in the Originals, we only get regular storm troopers, and scout troopers. Oh, and I guess you can count those Tie Fighter pilots.

And then you have the clone troopers, you got The Phase 1, and 2 clone troopers. And they all have different armor in Episode 3, like the 501st and 212 Attack Battalion's armor. They all are different, and more diverse. I know the Original Trilogy was made first, but I still wish the Storm Troopers were more diverse.

It's just that I think it would have been nice to see their armory evolve over the years, maybe add some shock troopers and what not. So here's my point.

Do you wish that the Original Trilogy would have had different armor from movie to movie, why or why not?

2. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Nope. They were supposed to be soulless and indistinctive, to have no trace of humanity or individuality, which made them all the more intimidating. That's one of my major beefs with the PT. The Clones, who were all supposed to be identical, were anything but in their personalities and attitudes. Especially in the Clone Wars CG cartoon.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    In TCW, sure. "the prequels", though? Cody's pretty much the only one who has lines beyond vague military-sounding terminology. :p

4. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    Point, but they still give themselves nicknames like Rex and Oddball. A bit too individualistic if you ask me ;)

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't really mind it; shows the transition between republic and empire in yet another way. Republic is names; Empire is numbers. Plus of course the Star Destroyers having paint jobs and then not.

6. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    That's true enough I suppose.

But I still think the answer to the original question is a resounding 'No'.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, likewise.

Although the OP dared omit snowtroopers. Given the number of planets/moons in our solar system that are frozen blocks of ice, I don't see why they're not the majority. :p

Zeta1127 likes this.
  8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Nope. Don't care one fig about armor or ships - I'm a character-focused gal.

9. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Reminds me of a (relatively) more innocent time, before Palpatine and Vader took over and $#!! happened. :p

Legocloneguy22 likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even the first version of the Stormtroopers as clones, in Star Wars Magazine back in the late 70s:

http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post4-03.jpg

mentioned individuality emerging- and that they were basically normal men, apart from being clones.

Dark Lady Mara and DarthBoba like this.
  11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That article is rad.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It fits well with the way clonetroopers are portrayed in TCW, too!
    I like the implication that the Empire streamlined the look of the army by removing any individual elements. Possibly, they did this to somehow create an illusion of peace. Since there are no armies to challenge the Empire, there's no need for different divisions. All soldiers are assigned to the same job: To uphold peace and order in the name of the Emperor. They're basically the Galactic Police.

Peace - it's streamlined
    /LM

13. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    That article above is pretty cool. But who sanctioned it? Just curious in part because in the set up the author says "Star Wars invites speculation". So was the author at that time (back in the pre-controlled days that lead to things like the Holiday Special) allowed to fantasize and write this "creative" piece or was he given this by Lucas himself? Would be interesting to know!

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    iirc it's official.

15. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    Wow, that is pretty awesome.

DarthBoba likes this.
  16. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Are the stormtroopers in the OT boba fett clones?

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Not all. The guys with Vader on the Tantive IV and Hoth are Jango clones. Nobody's a Boba clone.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Boba is a jango clone. So, basically, they are all boba fett clones, or, more specifically, they all come from the same clone.

Either way, are all the stormtroopers clones?

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    In the PT. In the OT, most of them but not all.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's about 2/3ds.

And again, none are "Boba clones" in the sense that they're cloned from Jango. Boba is a Jango clone, but Boba Fetts they are not.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yes, but if boba is a jango clone, then all the jango clones and boba come from the same source. So I like to think of them as Boba clones.

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's nice for you. :p It's incorrect however. Boba doesn't have accelerated growth or learning; the stormtroopers do.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's also interesting to see that, even back then, there was the notion that Imperial troops (the stormtroopers, at least) believe "the only good alien is a dead alien".

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh, in the context of post-civil-rights-act America, I'm sure "Where are you taking this....thing?" was a pretty big statement. People probably ran with it.

Plus of course George was handing out rules for the EU even then-midis aren't a 1999 and later thing. He talked about them in 1977.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    How many of the stormtroopers were fett clones, by percentage?