main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stranger in a Strange Land - Part 7 - Our Time Has Come - UPDATE 5/2 - Chapter 16

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Whiskey in the Jar-Jar, Dec 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    Good news :D

My PC's back off the disabled list (bad memory caused a heating problem) and I'm writing frantically to get the next bit up. My problem's actually been a lack of time to actually sit and put out anything legible.

More coming soon my faithful group of...er...two readers :p

2. SilverBlaze09

SilverBlaze09 Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2005
    *shrouds himself in, uh, humility, yeah* We shall eagerly wait for the next installment, sir. In the meantime, we shall lurk over your door and watch for the evil plot-breakers that would come and take your story away...

XD

Seriously, congrats on your comp getting back up and running, and I shall await your return with chapter piece eagerly. *bows*

SilverBlaze09

3. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Strange: my comp has no eyes, yet when I show it a hammer it starts working just fine. [face_laugh]

Me and my comp have an essential understanding. ;)

FORGED WORDS!

4. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    FORWARD! And your Calgary Flames are doing very well, Whiskey. ;)

5. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    SPANK!
    SPANK!
    SPANK!
    SPANK!
    SPANK!

That's the sound of Team Canada's treatment of the Russians in the GOLD MEDAL ROUND, BABY!

Sorry for the long silence, folks. Between Christmas, a small dose of the Black Shakes, Project Entropia, and a killer head cold, writing's been a little tough to fit in.

However, I actually have a significant amount typed out and will be posting probably tonight or tomorrow. Have faith. :D

6. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Always I have faith. ;)

FOWARD those who seek words to tell.....

7. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Ok, at long last Chapter 17 begins.

Again I apologize for the delay. Hopefully I'll be able to post more often soon. We'll see what happens.

And so, without further ado...

[u][b]Chapter 17 ? A Princess? Destiny[/b][/u]

He hadn?t spoken since they?d left?not since the limping wreck that once was the [i]Tiger?s Paw[/i] had blasted out of the Hive?s hangar, bound for a destination no one really knew, but rather felt.

He sat in the chair normally occupied by his daughter?a brave, fiery young woman who?d ensured his continued existence at the cost of her own only a few hours before. He manipulated controls designed for another?s grip?one whose hands had dealt both life and death in their brief years of life. He?d seen her slice an opponent in two with her lightsabre in one moment, and heal an injured child in the next. What other potential had those hands possessed? What great things could she have done, had she not thrown her life away?

It took all of Dalan?s concentration to keep the crippled freighter flying straight, flanked by several immense Aiga platforms and other transports that now carried the remnant of the Invid race. Though largely comprised of Stage 4 Invid, several of the less evolved ones had been recovered and placed in nutrient fluid tanks. There they would remain in a kind of stasis until their minds could be stimulated once more by?by?

By whom?

The tiger had never felt such hopelessness as he did now. With no Queen, only the Enforcers and Shaylear remained of the Invid race. Even with precise guerrilla raids reminiscent of the Rebellion, this small clutch of creatures was no match for the ever-growing army of the Yuuzhan Vong. The numbers simply didn?t add up this time. No matter where they ran, or what they did to defend themselves, the Vong were simply too many in number.

The Invid would die here?and he would die with them.

This very thought ? the thought that he would die on this alien world so far away from anyone he knew and loved ? made him grip the controls that much tighter. Was this what the Queen meant by she didn?t see him being here much longer? Was that her grand vision?some kind of hope-filling prank? If it was, even his most sarcastic of moods failed to see any humour in it.

He heard a noise in front of him and gazed down momentarily at the chair he normally occupied when flying this ship. Shaylear was weeping quietly, curled up in the chair as much as she could. She?d been instrumental in helping coordinate the remaining ship launches before finally boarding and departing herself, at which point she curled up in the gunnery chair and wept clumsily. Emotions like despair and loss were new to the Invid tigress, and the manifestation of tears was a bodily reaction she?d yet to fully understand.

Dalan watched her cry and felt a pang of sympathy. He wanted to comfort her, but the ship had no auto-pilot anymore. To let go of the controls would mean the end of they and the ship, so for now Shaylear had to mourn alone?under his watchful eye.

Two Enforcers streaked by, moving towards the head of the convoy. No less than a dozen of the evolved Invid soldiers were flying throughout the convoy, on the lookout for the Vong or renegade Invid. So far there had been no attacks, but time would eventually catch up to them, as would the Vong. Hopefully by then they would have reached this mystery destination and set up some kind of defence.

Despair washed over him again as he thought about that?about a defence. Of course, it was pure instinct talking now?never go down without a fight?take as many with you?all that combat garbage. It would almost be smarter to simply fly towards the Vong fortress and ram it head on?assuming the ship could make it that far. Fighting back now only delayed the inevitable.

Of course, there was the other alternative, namely sit and wait as the Yammosk devoured the life energy of the world, growing strong enough to dominate every Invid on the planet?making them mere pawns of the Yuuzhan Vong as they

8. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    DOH! You snuck a post on me after I posted! :eek:

I'll get to reading it as soon as I can, Whiskey, you sneaky Canadian you! ;)

9. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    That was emotionally excellent, Whiskey! The despair and the loss of Triel to Dalen was reflected very clearly and warmly there. It would not been for naught for the story if it did not reflect all of Dalen's pain. It shows that no Ravage can save him from this.

Without Shaylear, Dalen actually has nothing else to live for; he might as well had stopped breathing if it weren't for the presence of the clone of his one time beloved. Shaylear has her own issudes, and not only is she experiencing them with memories not truly her own, she sharing them with someone else experiencing them that she knows so well when in fact she has not know of him long enough.

The perpetual gloom must give way the new dawn. I think Azar's something interesting will lift those spirits. As always I wait with great patience. ;)

FORWARD!

10. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    I have to admit that this story as well as its predecessor have been two of the toughest challenges I've ever made for myself. Trying to add depth to characters, as well as fallibility is no easy task, but I'm glad for this challenge.

Well, now that we've seen how the heroes are doing, let's check in on the villains, shall we?

Greatl was perplexed?something she didn?t like to be.

Seated in her quarters she pored over report after report written in Chazrach blood on strips of their own skin. Many of the reports were by her own hand, and done with a precision so fine, even the best offerings of the hated technology would be hard-pressed to duplicate them.

Greatl was a Shaper?a master scientist of the Yuuzhan Vong. Like her peers during the battle with the many factions of this galaxy, one of her primary assignments had been to find a way to enslave the hated Jee-dai with their powers intact. During the war there had been some limited successes, but after the cataclysm on Dantooine very little of that research remained.

P?alo Kwezach had nearly succeeded in swaying the mighty Mara Jade to the cause several years ago on Corellia, but that plan had been thwarted by the Jee-dai and several others. In the end none survived, not even Nom Anor, the third most powerful Vong in the galaxy during the height of the war. Most of Kwezach?s research had been destroyed, but enough remained that Yaq?Ma Greatl could extrapolate a solution and sway some of their growing number over to the cause of the Purity.

A stirring off to her right made the Vong Shaper lift her head. Suspended in a vessel filled with dark green liquid floated a creature long since dead. She surmised it to be one of the natives of this world?one charged with harvesting the strange pink flower that grew so abundantly on this planet. It had been seized during an encounter with a clutch of them some time ago, and since then she had also been charged with learning about them.

An autopsy on one of the many specimens yielded very little in the way of physiological function. The organs were crude and the brain primitive with one exception: One area of the creature?s brain was highly developed and attuned to frequencies of a psychic nature. She noticed how, compared to the rest of the corpse, this small section of its brain was evolved well past what many in this galaxy would consider a ?higher life form.?

She deduced that these creatures functioned under a hive culture. The corpse had been a mere drone in the hive, taking orders via some massive mental link from a central intelligence. She also noticed that this evolved section of the brain was linked to the rest of the creature?s bodily functions. Once the psychic receptor was disabled, the creature would simply crumble to the ground, as if someone had cut the puppet master?s strings.

This was made apparent a mere two days ago when a Vong strike force located and destroyed what appeared to be the hive. The moment the central consciousness was eliminated, all of Greatl?s live specimens simply died. Any attempts at reviving them were fruitless, regardless of her efforts. She tried modifying the coral polyps normally used to enslave the unwilling to the Vong cause, trying to attune the creatures? brains to the Yammosk?s mental frequency, but to no avail. Their minds were simply to primitive and proprietary to accept anyone else as their life source.

This had disappointed Greatl at first?until the strike force returned to base with a fresh load of new specimens for her. By far, these new ones were physically superior to the others, and she could only surmise that this race had been a type of caste system not unlike her own. What she had been working on before were some kind of worker class, while these still-living specimens were obviously bred for something more. Judging from the armour they had been wearing, she concluded they were some form of warrior caste. Interviews with the returning warriors seemed to confirm this hypothesis, as she was told one tale after ano

11. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Oh man! The Vong just don't know any boundaries.

You did a great job capturing that, Whiskey. Just another reminder of what the Vong are and what lengths they will go to win. Of course, now I gotta wonder who it was in that torture device. Anyone we might know, and not just a Star Trek red shirt not named Scottie? :eek:

FORWARD!

12. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    So, when's that Ladies U.S. vs. Canada Hockey final? ;)

13. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Hey all.

Just a quick update: My PC decided to take a huge, cleansing cosmic DUMP last week and it cost me a new power supply and hard drive. Thankfully, the machine is now back up and running with no data loss whatsoever. (whew)

That being said, I logged onto my website and noticed that there was nothing there. I was in the middle of updating it when the dump happened, so for the past week it's been nothing but a blank page. Oops.

Well, that' changed now. TDG is back in business with a new look and some new features. I'm starting to take some Dreamweaver and Flash courses from a local university, and as I learn more this little site'll just keep growing and growing. :D

In story news, I'm just reviewing my latest bit to post before I actually send it up. With luck it'll be up tonight.

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there and keeping their flames to themselves. More yummy furry destruction is on its way :p

14. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    And, without further ado, we continue...

It didn?t take Dalan long to deduce the obvious: Whatever he was currently looking at, it was by no means a natural formation. In fact, the precision with which it was created all but screamed to him that someone?or something?had been here before.

At the base of the volcano, a tunnel of some sort had been created. Far smoother and more symmetrical than the result of a lava flow, it measured fifteen metres across and nearly ten metres tall. With some careful navigation and a skilled hand, an Imperial AT-AT squad could traverse this cave rather comfortably.

?Those who found this went deep inside,? reported Azar. ?They reached the end, but found the only way to continue was to descend.?

?How far down?? asked Shaylear, who was also marvelling at the cave entrance.

?They did not descend,? replied the Enforcer. ?There was something else there?something that they wanted you to see.?

?Might provide some better shelter from the elements,? noted Dalan. ?And the Vong, should they ever show up.?

?Good point,? said Shaylear. ?I?m interested in what the scouts found at the end. Azar, choose two other scouts to accompany us.?

?Very well, Mistress,? said Azar. He nodded towards two other Enforcers who stepped up. ?The place is rather dark, so you will have to remain close to us.? Shaylear nodded and the group entered the cave.

The darkness was inky?dense?even with their piercing lights the Enforcers did very little to cut through it. Their devices merely cast beams of light into the darkness, illuminating very little past its most intense radius. Dalan?s feline eyesight and whiskers were the only things guiding he and Shaylear, who?d taken his hand the moment the darkness had surrounded them.

They group traveled for what felt like an eternity before the trio of Enforcers finally stopped. Dalan moved up beside Azar and peered ahead. ?What is it?? he asked.

?It is something I have never seen before,? answered the Enforcer, panning his light over what lay ahead. ?It appears to be dead, though.? The light revealed what appeared to be a gnarled, blackened branch, not unlike a tree limb long since dead. ?The scouts chose to go no further, thinking The One would know what this is.?

Shaylear stepped towards the object. Azar?s reference to her as ?The One? made her shudder. She knew full well what that title implied and in spite of her accepting the responsibility of being the Invid leader, she also knew she had a lot to learn and not nearly enough time to do so. ?I?m not sure,? she said with false confidence as she reached up to touch it. ?It looks like some kind of??

The moment her hand brushed the object, it began to glow. From deep within, the branch she had touched began to emit a deep indigo light, which soon turned to bright purple. On instinct the tigress recoiled, but the glow remained.

Dalan?s eyes grew wide with surprise, and he quickly made his way to Shaylear. ?Are you all right?? he asked. She was holding the hand that had touched the branch, but the tiger could see no apparent damage.

?Y?yes,? stammered Shaylear. ?What?what happened? It was as if I?I brought it back to life.?

Dalan moved towards the branch and touched it on another part. When he drew his hand away, he noticed that his handprint was barely visible on the branch?s surface, but quickly faded away. He gazed at his hand, and then back to Shaylear, beside whom Azar was now standing.

?What is it?? asked Shaylear, moving back towards the branch.

?I don?t know,? replied Dalan. ?But I think it needs Protoculture to survive.? He touched it again. ?I don?t have much of it in my body,? he said. ?But you?I mean you?re practically the very manifestation of the Flower?s essence.?

?Y?you mean?I can give life to this thing?? She seemed doubtful, but gingerly she placed her hand on the branch again. This time the glow was stronger?brighter. It slowly began to spread out across the surface of the object, highlighting it against the inky d

15. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Everyone's slipping posts on me. ;)

But I'm glad I checked my posts.

At last, Sheayer may have found Mother's calling. By the sounds of it, it could be an Invid army that she can power up and control. If so, then the Vong are in serious trouble.

But does that mean things might change between Dalen and her? Will she become suspetible to the power programmed into her being? If the Vong are done in, then what then?

Oh, it's too much! :p

Great post, and waiting anxiously for more!

16. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    MISSION!

Everyone together! We must save the Drunken Gungan from his computer! :p

17. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, Shaylear's starting to realize just exactly what her role will be as this game plays out...but will she be able to handle it? Will Dalan be able to handle it? Will the Vong be able to handle it?

So many questions...

But for now, let's see how the other team's doing...

?He is growing.?

Known for her savage libido and sadistic disposition, Greatl still cowered in respectful fear at the voice of the one she now approached. His back turned to her, she could thankfully not behold his scarred, macabre visage. The leather cape he wore all but concealed any other of his features to her, giving him an air of sinister mystery.

Without turning, the figure spoke again. ?I assume you?ve come out of your playroom to tell me something important??

?Y?Yes, Master,? replied Greatl. ?I?I?ve completed my analysis of the blood sample and I?ve found something?interesting.?

At this, the figure finally and fully turned. Greatl?s eyes flickered only for a moment at the tortured visage that stared back at her. The face was deeply scarred and mutilated?the result of many a great battle and an iron will to survive. His armour, scratched and pitted, was an eternal reminder of the scores of enemies who tried?and failed.

?Show me,? he said, his voice sickly sweet and calm.

Greatl produced the coral bowl, which was now only half-full of blood. She then produced what looked like a folded leaf of some sort. When she opened up the leaf, the figure noted the yellowish powder within. ?Some kind of pollen?? he asked.

?Yes, Master,? replied the Shaper. ?Extracted from the flower we have seen on this world. Observe.? She tilted the leaf, letting the grains of pollen drop into the vessel of blood. Moments later, the blood began to boil violently as it reacted to the pollen?s presence. It frothed up and threatened to spill out of the vessel before finally settling back down?and turning from a vibrant red to a dark, ichorous black.

?Impressive,? said the figure. ?I can also assume that this is not a mere isolated example??

?No, Master,? replied Greatl. ?The pollen seems to only interact with one part of the subject?s blood?the same part shared by all our enemies.?

?Most impressive.? The figure turned away and stared back towards an opening in the wall?one that looked over to a large, distant crater. ?Now, perhaps you can shed some insight onto our friend?s unexpected growth.?

?I have given the matter much thought, Master,? said the Shaper. ?It seems that this flower possesses some unique psychotropic properties. The creatures that inhabit this world feed off of them exclusively, using it to reinforce their bonds to their Queen.?

?Who is now dead.?

?Yes?but it does explain the growth of the Yammosk.? Graetl moved up beside the figure. ?By feeding on this flower, it has expanded its own abilities, and has grown accordingly to accommodate its newfound power. I have projected and end-point to its growth, though, and from there we can turn the flower to our own purposes.?

?Such as??

?As a weapon, we could send the pollen raining down on the worlds of our enemies,? said Greatl. ?Once they have all succumbed, we are free to do with the worlds as we please. Further, after a few dozen populaces are decimated, any resistance would quickly realize their folly and surrender.? Thoughts of such massive destruction made the Shaper quiver once more.

?Hmmm?? The figure mused. Just then, a high-ranking soldier entered the room, carrying what looked to be an official communiqué from someone. The figure turned and the soldier instantly shrank back. ?What is it?? he asked.

?Master,? the soldier stated. ?A member of the Corellain Peace Brigade has sent us this.? He held up the document ? a piece of actual parchment no doubt written with blood.

?Begging your pardon, Master,? interrupted Greatl. ?I sent word to the Peace Brigade to help identify the two who fought alongside the creatures during our strike on the Hive.? She took the parchment and

18. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Oh, I definately have my suspicions on the Jee-dai.

But ah-oh: The Vong have the inside track on the Invids. And ironically since the Vong like to use natural, occurring things to achieve their means to an end.....

The Invids could possibly become a true threat to the galaxy, unless Dalen and the rest become aware of it.

FORWARD! Great writing, Whiskey!

19. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Thanks again :D

According to the story (in the books, on TV, and in the RPG manuals), the Invid were actually a peace-loving, docile race, until two things happened:

1. The Queen fell in love with a Robotech Master scientist
    2. The Robotech Masters all but destroyed the Invid homeworld, driving their Queen fully and completely insane.

Now, of course I took a HUGE dose of artistic license when I started using them, relying more on an old RPG my friends and I used to play, in which Dalan was involved. I like how they've turned out, though...and I'm really gonna love them soon. ;)

As for the Vong, it'd be kinda interesting to see an Invid soldier in some kind of coral exoskeleton...hmmm...

More coming soon...

20. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    To UP this thread, I will say this:

HAPPY (Flips through online Calendar) Bak Full Moon Poya Day! ;)

21. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    ROBOTECH, TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

22. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Well, as I posted in my blog, my hard drive at home decided to lock up on me, which has now cost me an awful lot of work. As it is, I had to copy and paste my last two posts from here just to recover that much from SIASL.

Thankfully I remember how I wanted the next post to go, so once my machine is off the disabled list I'll be able to post again. Man, I hate when this happens to me. :(

Until then...FORWARD!

23. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    OOOOOOOOOKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

So I'm off the disabled list, got a new chair, and I'm ready to get back into this story. YAY!

To say thanks to all the readers I'm putting in one hella big post to keep y'all happy happy.

Enjoy!

He?d lost track of the hours. How could one possibly hope to keep time in such a maze?

From the stasis chamber, Dalan and the Invid had since traversed down numerous tunnels, jumped down to deeper and deeper levels via the strange plants (all revived by Shaylear?s mere touch), and walked through no less than a dozen more chambers filled with sleeping Invid warriors. By the tiger?s estimate, the Queen had placed no less than a hundred thousand Invid in stasis, waiting for something to happen. Now, with her murder at the hands of the Yuuzhan Vong, they would continue sleeping until the Vong came for them.

He wondered briefly if they?d ever truly awaken from this state, or would their souls simply move onto the next life as their bodies were used to bolster the Vong ranks. Until crashing on this planet he?d been convinced the Invid had no real souls to speak of. However, as he walked hand in hand with their new Queen, he knew that they possessed more than he or any of his former comrades could have ever imagined.

?We are getting close now,? said Shaylear, breaking the silence of the moment. ?I can feel it.?

?Closer to what, Mistress?? asked Azar, whose movements and demeanour had changed dramatically over the journey. He seemed anxious?agitated, and Dalan supposed he was worried about his brothers topside.

?We are nearing the heart of the Hive,? she said, excitement in her voice. ?I?I cannot explain it, but it seems the closer we get to the center, the more I?m remembering.?

?Makes sense,? remarked Dalan. ?By keeping everything on a need-to-know basis, this place could stay hidden until the right time.?

?Could the Queen have known she would end?? asked Azar. Dalan could only shrug in reply. His time with the Jedi had done a great deal in teaching him about foresight and prescience, so it was entirely possible the old Queen had seen this day coming.

Prescience was something with which Dalan often wrestled. To admit that someone could see so far into the future suggested that things like destiny and fate were not only real, but that free will was little more than a fantasy. After all, what was the use of believing one?s life would turn out a certain way when in fact that person?s story had already been written down and was merely being acted out?

Few people actually explored this kind of question, and those who did were usually hopped up on a significant number of drugs. Perhaps that was for the best?leave everyone to believe their lives are their own, while only a few enlightened beings were given the gift to see the true machinations of the universe. Of course, there was always the old Jedi stand-by phrase that the future was always in motion and changing. Such a phrase was seen as an excuse by some, and Dalan often wondered if it was a prescient mind?s way of offering hope to someone?s whose fate was sealed.

Emerging from yet another tunnel the group came into a comparatively smaller chamber than the others they?d seen. Aside from its size, the room was filled with a warm, soft glow from some low-powered light sticks on one end. The lights seemed to frame something in between them, and Dalan knelt to see what it was.

His green eyes widened as he gazed upon the small monument before him. It was a small thing, maybe half a metre in size and composed of the same composite out of which Invid armour is made.

?What is it?? asked Shaylear.

?Some sort of monument,? replied the tiger, brushing away some of the dust. ?Aurabesh,? he breathed, recognizing the glyphs on the marker. ?A series of names, from the looks of it. Hmmm?.?

?What does it say?? asked the tigress, leaning in.

?Let?s see.? Dalan brushed off the remaining dust and beheld the letters before him. It took a moment for him to translate the

24. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    WHOA! I got my old comp working just in time for some real, real goodness! :D

First, I had a bad feeling it was Whisper in that Den, and unfortunately I was right. However it appears some other transformation is occurring other than the one Sheaylear just underwent.

Dalan's perspective on destiny is a little too true. What can be more abbrevent is if one did know, would they eventually created the events that lead them to it? A question to be answered never, but for certain many things are yet to come.

To both our collective computer sorrows: let not our hearts be troubled! ;)

25. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.