main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Stuff to do in Tasmania?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DarthXan318, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    (I'd ask this in the FF Tas forum, but it seems to ... not exist any more. :()

So I'll be in Hobart for a conference this December and, if I can wrangle it, will have a day or two to go sightseeing. I've never been there, so what's interesting? Are there any must-see/do things down there? Any tips/tricks for itinerant travelers who happen to be students on a budget? I'll be Googling around for stuff to do as well, but I thought I'd ask the JC Hive Mind.. :D

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Port Arthur, creeped me out, but worth going to see the history both long ago and recent.

CADBURY FACTORY!!!! You cannot miss a tour of the Cadbury factory, must see and do and eat!

3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Salamanca Market's great but Port Arthur's a 2 hour drive down the Tasman peninsula. I second the cadbury factory and there's also this thing called Tahune air walk but I dunno where it is.

4. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Harbour cruise was good, we did that and found out all about the bridge accident there, very interesting. We did the markets too!! Lots of fun!

Oh, the Antarctic Centre! If you dont get to see snow on the mountain, there is a man made 'snow room' in there!!! Very interesting!

5. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Hmm. I won't have a car, sadly, so Port Arthur might be out. :(

Cadbury Factory - ooh, I didn't realize there was one there! I'll definitely have to check that out. :D Salamanca market's a possibility too, though I'm (hopefully) arriving on a Saturday morning and I might miss it.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, keep 'em coming if you think of anything else. :D

6. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    And Xan, we don't exist anymore as no one else was interested but me in keeping it going.

7. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Ah. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

8. --Azrael--

--Azrael-- Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2005
    Cadbury Factory..... alas from what I recall they no longer offer the tours. something to do with OH&S.

apart from some great fish and chips down at the dock there's some good pubs.

Depends on what kind of thing you want to do/see

Port Arthur is cool. If you have time and like the outdoors cradle mountain. and if you're in that neck of the woods you MUST check out Reliquaire in Latrobe

9. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Depending when you are here in Hobart the "taste" may be on which is good to go and see.

You can go up Mount Wellington as well. Their is a tour of the Cascade Brewery which is a good time. Salamanca as has been mentioned is good to see.

Port Arthur is great and I would recommend it to anyone, you can get a bus down to I believe you can get a Bus direct from the Depot in Collins street.

Other than that what would you like to do, anything in particular?

Edit: Where is the conference?

10. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Hobart - the Tasmanian ICT Centre or something, I believe. Or something like that. I'll be there from 6-10th Dec (this Saturday to Wednesday), but will likely only be able to go sightseeing over the weekend - the conference is Monday-Wednesday.

Mount Wellington and the Cascade Brewery... sounds promising. *makes note* :D

By the way, how's public transport in/around Hobart? Possible to get around solely by bus/train/walking?

11. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    There are no trains at all!

Bus route are ok, but not as good as on the mainland in big city's.

Walking is fine though, most of the major tourist places are available to get to from a bus from the centre of town.

Also I forgot you can also visit the Cadbury Chocolate Factory if that is your kind of thing!

12. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Anyway, I'm back from Hobart!

I didn't end up visiting Port Arthur (no time) or the Cadbury Factory (they don't do tours any more), but I did have a look at Salamanca Market on Saturday, the museum, the Cascade Brewery, the Botanical Gardens, and those seafood places round the docks.

Thanks again for the suggestions, everyone. :D Hobart was really nice, picturesque, and not too busy... Kinda like a miniature city really, I thought.

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    So glad you had a good time, sad to hear Cadbury don't tour anymore, I guess I should treasure the memories I have of those giant churning vats with hundreds of litres of chocolate in them tumbling around at a steady 36 degrees for 36 hours before being made into delicious chocolate bars and treats... =P~

14. --Azrael--

--Azrael-- Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2005
    yeah they stopped with the tours a couple of months ago. Something to do with OH&S. I guess someone say charlie and the chocolate factory and decided some youngster woudl fall into a big vat or something.

Anywho, glad to hear you had a good time

15. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Best thing to do in Tasmania?

Leave.

*hides from Katana*

16. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Oh snap! :p

Thread Status: