main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suicidal Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LeeKenobi, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Mustafar. Obi-Wan has been tasked to destroy the Sith by taking down the kid he trained for 13 years. He knows he's outmatched, that Anakin is the better fighter (notice how throughout the duel, he gives ground to Anakin, taking a more defensive stance)

But what happens? He moves to the most dangerous place of all. Instead of continuing the fight inside the protected walls of the structures, he moves outside. And Anakin dumbly follows.

Here's how I see it---Obi-Wan in his heart doesn't want to take Anakin down, which is why throughout the duel, he keeps trying to turn Anakin away from the Sith. So he simply stops trying. He has Anakin follow him into the volcanic hot spots (such as going backwards across the narrow pipes) and let the environment destroy both of them.

That Kenobi survived Mustafar was a fluke--he was never expecting it. He didn't want to have the kid's death on his conscience, and he was wanting to die. However he survived and didn't want to--which, I believe, would help to explain why it was Vader who killed Anakin. He blamed himself for years.

a better treatment of this can be found here
    http://www.stardestroyer.net/ROTS/Revelations-1.html

2. Darth Nemesis

Darth Nemesis Jedi Master star 1

May 5, 1999
    I don't think he wanted to die, he just wasn't afraid of it. I think he knew that saber to saber, he was outmatched, so he used the enviornment to his advantage. And it worked. Obi Wan knew that his main task was to destroy Anakin, and that if it meant sacrificing himself to do so, he was OK with that. As evidenced by Obi Wan sacrificing himself on the DS in ANH so Luke and friends could escape.

3. Pumpkin_King

Pumpkin_King Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    Obi-wan went to Mustafar for two reasons. Because it was his duty as a Jedi to stop the Sith if he could, and more importantly, because he owed it to his love for Anakin to be the one who puts him down.

4. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Obi-wan went to duel Anakin because he had to stop him and Obi-wan was not out matched they were equel.[face_peace]

5. LeeKenobi

Aug 13, 2002
    THen why does Obi-Wan continually give ground and then go outside to where the lava bursts would give Anakin something to worry about?

6. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005

Because he is a defensive fighter and he has to wait for the right moment to attack Anakin because a jedi defends

7. LeeKenobi

Aug 13, 2002
    Yeah. Yoda was sure defensive when he knocked out Palps' guards by slamming them against the wall.
    Or when he threw Palpy across the room and into his chair.

Then at the beginning---it was Obi-Wan who engaged Dooku, by being the first to ignite his saber.

8. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005

igniting your lightsaber does not mean your are on the offensive. The battle was going to start anyway. Like I said a jedi waits to be on the offensive like Yoda did. There were times like the force push were Obi-wan chose to be on the offensive and then choose to go back to defensive.

9. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    That Kenobi survived Mustafar was a fluke--he was never expecting it. He didn't want to have the kid's death on his conscience, and he was wanting to die. However he survived and didn't want to--which, I believe, would help to explain why it was Vader who killed Anakin. He blamed himself for years.

It was Vader who killed Anakin. Vader has always been in Anakin. the Greedy, selfish , arrogant , lusting for power side of Anakin. that is Vader , and Palpatine set him free. and he killed Anakin Skywalker. metephorically it is 100% true. when given the opportunity and power he always wanted , Vader rules, and Anakin never had a chance. as for ObiWan, i Agree he does not want to kill Anakin. but he will Kill Anakin. he is a Jedi first and foremost. his duty is to the Force and Anakin represents a threat to everything ObiWan believes. " I will do what i must", Anakin made his choice. that does not mean that ObiWan does not feel responsible for Anakin's failure as a Jedi. what Mentor wouldn't. but he will do what must be done. but he never wanted to die. he likely never thought about that. he had " a Job to do " ;)

10. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I agree with u there =D=

It wasnt a "fluke" Obi Wan survived :rolleyes: . He was a smart jedi master who stayed more centered and focused on the duel, in contrast to Vader who let his emotions get the best of him. Obi Wan's fighting style is defensive.. he was naturally patient because of this so he just stayed with Vader until he saw an openning and took it. No "fluke" in that imo.

11. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005

I agree with you. It was not a "fluke" it was the will of the force.[face_peace]

12. DarthJiangWei

DarthJiangWei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    They were equals. Obi-Wan was giving ground because he truly did not want to kill Anakin. Anakin uses the Offensive Lightsaber Form: Shien while Obi-Wan uses the defensive style: Soresu. Dont you see that Obi-Wan only starts truly fighting Anakin after he thinks Anakin fell over the lavafall? He sees there that even though he came super close to dying there, Anakin still wasnt giving up and when Anakin says that he thinks the Jedi are evil thats when Obi-Wan (according to the novel) lets go of Anakin and the memories and truly starts fighting. They were equal and it is not true that Jedi are always on the defensive, look at Qui-Gon and Maul, YOda and Sidious as someone pointed out. The Jedi do what must be done. They dont care if theyre offensive or defensive, theyre doing it for the good of the Republic. He didnt choose to cut Anakin like he did. He intended to kill him there. He left because he did not want to blame himself for Anakin's death. He must have been thinking he wouldnt have it on his conscience because the fire would kill Anakin not him. Obi-Wan wasnt suicidal. If he was suiciadal he would tackled Anakin and they would have both fallen in. If he was suicidal he wouldnt have gone to the high ground because its safer there than on that droid platform. So no he wasnt intending on dying on Mustafar.

13. dont_be_a_vaderhater

dont_be_a_vaderhater Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    At the very least, like Luke in ROTJ, he was'nt afraid to die....
    if that is what his destiny was.

14. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    exactly. if Jedi are taught to " Rejoice for those around you that transform into the Force ", then i doubt fear for his own life was ever on Obi mind.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan went outside because he couldn't keep fighting in the limited space, not if he wanted to survive this fight. The tables and equipment were getting in the way. He didn't know that the sheilds were shut down by their blows, until they lava started to rain down on them from that burst.

Yoda used a Force push on the Imperial Guard because they moved into attack position. And he ignited his saber first on Palpatine, after the Dark Lord blasted him with Sith Lightning and a Force shove. With the exception of Luke, every Lightsaber usually starts with the Sith drawing their Lightsabers first and igniting them. If the Jedi have ignited their's first it's because they're going into arrest mode or have taken a defensive position.

16. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    your post sounds silly
    Anakin was fighting very aggressively and Obi-Wan probably didn't have time to think about where to take the fight in a place he'd never been before
    If he did CHOOSE to go outside it was probably to give himself more space

Obi-Wan took Anakin down as soon as he was able to
    Remember how mercilessly he tried to strike down on him when Anakin was on his back inside the building when Anakin had dropped his saber?

Obi-Wan was a professional and a disciplined Jedi
    "I will do what I must"

17. LeiaSkywalker4

LeiaSkywalker4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    Bravo DUGGY Bravo =D=

18. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to when Obi-Wan jumped down to confront General Grievous, his bodyguards, and several hundred battledroids and droidekas. Now THAT was suicidal, even if he knew support was on the way!

19. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Possibly the most interesting thread in months. It's plausible that he didn't care to go on and wanted to end it for both of them. He was just fine with becoming one with the force and moving on. I could go for it.

20. DarkSyder

DarkSyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2003
    The ROTS novelization shows that Obi-Wan may have been having self-destructive thoughts: he says to Yoda that he should have let the droids shoot him on Geonosis or died when he fought Darth Maul - before he even tried to train Anakin.

21. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    I plan to go over this in my fan fic of Obi-wan's point of view of the saga

22. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I like this idea. Very Tragic.

23. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Great concept, but he anytime a Jedi engages in combat with a Sith he can die. Kenobi could have died on Geonosis. He could have died on Naboo. The lava just adds more danger to the situation, but as far as we know Kenobi had never been there before and the fact he and Anakin went from the landing platform to the control room and then to the open area spoke volumes about Kenobi's bravery. I don't even think he even thought much about the lava or the likelihood of it killing either him or Anakin.

24. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I've never thought of it that way. I kinda like that idea.

25. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    *sigh* Another Anakin is a better fighter than Obi-Wan topic. Can't we just jumble this mess into one big topic? Even with the movie as proof, Anakin is somehow still a better fighter. Riiigggghhhht.

As for the topic....

How is going outside suicidal? It gave more breathing room than being in a cramped room. Obi-Wan is not suicidal, not in this fight at least.

He was never expecting to not survive against Anakin? Pfft. Prove it.

Obi-Wan went there to stop Anakin. Plain and simple. Not to kill himself. Obi-Wan knew he could handle Anakin. Why do you think he wanted to face Sidious and not Anakin? Its because he knew if he was forced to fight Anakin, he would win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.