main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA SW: CCG Anyone?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Shewski, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... I'd be down for getting together at some point during the week. With my new job scheduling us they way they have as of late, I've got EVERY SINGLE NIGHT OFF this week. Zong! So, pretty much just pick a night that's good for you, and I can be ready.

Also, I've finished the first few steps of my "Top Secret CCG Project" that I blathered about a few posts ago (which translates to a few weeks ago in "real time"), and feel that it can be showed around now. I hope you don't mind being used as my creative sounding board once again, Shewski, but I've found that you're quite good at giving constructive criticism. (And I think/hope that you'll enjoy this project.) At any rate, I'm going to email/PM the link to you right after I post this. Any feedback you have before I unleash it to the general public would be greatly appreciated. :)

I guess that's it. Just let me know what night works for you.

Downloads secret plans into R2 unit,
    Yours Truly

2. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Wednesday night might work for me, all I have to do is get my tux fitted for the wedding I'm in this weekend.

What do you say?

3. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... Wednesday works for me. Your place or mine? Actually, unfortunately, now that I think of it, I won't have access to my computer/internet until after I'm off work (5:30) tomorrow, so I guess we should probably call one another to confirm things tomorrow to set a time/venue and whatnot. If you want to leave a message on my machine while I'm at work, that's cool... Or I could give you a jingle when I get back from work to set things up... Whichever you'd prefer. Since I won't have time to check this board until late tomorrow, if there's not a message on my machine when I get done work, I'll assume that means you want me to give you a jingle. That make sense?

See you soon,
    Yours Truly

4. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Yeah, I'll give you a ring tonight. I get off work (5:30), get fitted (6:00), and eat. Then I should be ready to go!

5. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Recap!

Wow, with me being away most of this weekend for a wedding, I forgot to post the results of the latest gaming night.

PS- Oreckel, I remember saying that you wanted to get some CCG action in sometime on another thread- do you want to plan on doing that after an upcoming meeting/event?

Game 1

Tick Tick Boom vs TIGIH Ewoks

This is my new, wacky CPI deck. No objective or anything, so that's cool. I started out EXTREMELY slow in trying to get my superlaser, but was able to screw with Brian's setup with a well timed Uncertain is the Future. Brian had started to get set up but was having a hard time finding his Drain Bonus Ewok. The Death Ball kept moving toward Endor, aided immensely with R3 T6 and the Core. The worst part was sending in EPP Vader to attack some ewoks.... I had a sense in hand to cancel an interrupt, but I failed. It wouldn't matter since Ben busted out 3-4 other ones and the fuzzballs beat me for over 10 overflow. Lesson- never mess with a teddy bear. As I turns out, I blew up Endor and could have autodrained for the win since Ben could deploy nowhere else. But then I realized that my lone card in life force should have been stacked onto Conflict, so I gave Ben the honorary win. ;)

LU Troopers vs IO

A fun matchup! Having Commie Luke annoy roam about on Hoth slowed Brian down, but I was unable to set up to my fullest extent since a necesary card was on the force I was saving. There were a few battles, mainly a showdown when Brian tried to blow away the generators. The artillery weapons did their job, but pesky Lt Arden opened me up to a late beatdown. Brian also was able to play his Frostbite before I could play mine. I won, but not as fast as I could have since never was able to get off a t47 form.

TTO vs TIGIH

This game was your basic damage race. Brian had no space, I had little ground. I was able to set up the DS2 on turn 2, and was humming damage away every turn thereafter. Brian still had trouble with his ewoks, but this time I didn't fall for all their traps. Darth Maul came down and was able to clear out a few ewoks, which always feels good. I was able to win in pretty short order.

MBO v IO

We were getting pretty tired at this point, and this was an extremely sloppy game on both sides. Brian forgot to deploy an AT AT gun, I forgot a key card in rebuilding the deck, etc. NAS-T. Brian blew away the MPG, and I took too long in flipping in my vain desire to protect the +2 deploy on Yavin. I got beaten down by Mara and Probe Droids more than I'd like to admit. Eventually, I did an attack run and I missed! Agh! The next turn, since Brian has so much on the table with IO, I blew it up, and he couldn't take the 14 damage.... I somehow win ;)

6. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Yeah, maybe we can play at the June meeting.

Guys, how strong is a stormtrooper deck? By the looks of it it *should* work, although I haven't had a lot of oppertunity to use it. 9x Stormtroopers, 3 Imperial Squad Leaders, 6x Trooper Assults, 2x Imperial Reinforcments and more than enough blasters and utility belts for everyone.

Stormtrooper: Power 1, Ability 1
    Imperial Squad Leader: Power: 1, Ability 1: When moving with a squad of exaclty 3 stormtroopers, all three move for one force. All troopers at same site are forfiet plus one.
    Trooper Assult: Used Inturrept: Deploy at the beginning of a battle. All of your stormtroopers in the battle are power (and forfiet?) plus two until the end of your next turn.
    Stormtrooper utility Belt: Deploy on anyone for one force. Adds +1 to character's power and forfiet. +2 if on Death Star.

If you could get all those down, that should be pretty strong. I'd like to test it against someone, though. :)

7. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Trooper decks, as well as with most non unique decks, are good when you get the working, but they are not the most card efficent. For that reason they are not "serious" decks, since each deck slot is not used to its utmost. If you can pull off a big win it might be game winning. Stormies are good since you have tons of support, from An Entire Legion to good old Trooper Assault.

8. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Oreckel... I'd be all about hittin' up some CCG action at the next meeting. It's been quite some time since I've played anyone besides Shewski... 8-} I'll be sure to bring my cards.

Also, Shewski's comments on Trooper decks is pretty accurate. They're fun to play, but when run up against modern-style decks, they tend not to hold their own. The very first deck I designed for play since moving to Pittsburgh was actually a Trooper deck, which I modified so many times it became somewhat ridiculous. In fact, if you go back and read this thread from the start, it chronicles the genesis of that particular deck. Swing the Hammer of Might!

At any rate, even though I modified it tons of times, it never really became terribly competitive. (Ironically, it did earn me third in the one tournament me and Shewski attended.)

So, anyway, I'll be looking forward to the next meeting, to see firsthand how your deck plays, Oreckel.

Gets free coffee in his new workplace(!),
    Yours Truly

9. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    What does "An Entire Leigon" do? I can't find it on Decipher's card list.

10. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Oreckel... "An Entire Legion" is awesome. It makes all stormies Armor = 4 (harder to shoot), and increases the destinies of blaster rifles, stormtrooper belts, and blaster scopes by 2, which can seriously increase your average destiny draw value. Good stuff!

Likes his new job,
    Yours Truly

11. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    :eek:

Dude...that's awesome! I thought it would b an interrupt or something. It's even immune to alter. :)

It's only uncommon, but I only collected up to Special Edition. Anyone have one that they want to trade?

12. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Oreckel... I've got an extra copy floating around somewhere. I'll bring one to the meeting, so that maybe we could work out a trade. I can almost guarantee you that you've got at least one uncommon that I could use.

Forgets to pay maintenance cost on Blizzard 4 and watches it die,
    Yours Truly

13. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    Great. I've got a T'Welek advisor which is a Starting Interrupt, allowing you to deploy an effect from your reserve deck. I'll add it in my deck so I can use "An Entire Leigon" right off the bat. :)

14. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    You've got to get some Death Star II! The dominant starting interrupt is Prepared Defenses, which lets you start 3 effects that deploy on the table and are immune to alter.

15. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    I don't think I have three effects in my deck. :p ;)

At some point I would like some DS2 cards, apparently they have some sweet ships. ;)

16. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Yeah, it is definitely space heavy. You can probably get a booster for around 20$ without shipping. I recommend that, Reflections II and Reflections III if you want to get caught up quickly.

17. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

DS2 is definitely a good set to help augment your supply, as are the Reflections II + III. If you poke around ebay enough you should be able to get some good deals on sets of the Reflections cards. A couple of months ago, Shewski tipped me on some really good auctions which helped me get caught up. I'm sure you could find something decent if you looked around a bit.

Shewski... you going to be at the June meeting/party thing?

Needs dinner,
    Yours Truly

18. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Probably not, I'm going back to Columbus for that weekend for my Mom's birthday. When are you leaving for the cabin? I'm free Friday night, but I bet you are going to hit the road before then.

19. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewki... yeah, me and Biler are cabin-bound right after work tomorrow. Should be a good time from what I'm told. Hope you enjoy your weekend, as well.

Will not attempt to conjure up demons via tape-recorder at the cabin this weekend,
    Yours Truly

20. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Oreckel... I posted this in another thread, but figured I'd repeat it here. Unfortunately, something came up, and I'm now unable to attend the June meeting, so I won't be there to play CCG or trade cards with you. Which really sucks because I was rather looking foward to it.

*sigh*

I'm planning on being at the Survivor Fan Film shoot, though, so if you're involved with that at all, maybe we could do something then.

Double blarg,
    Yours Truly

21. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    Gah...I can't make the survivor shoot.

I do plan to be there the second week, though. *shrug*

22. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Hi Fellas,

How's the job going? Did you find a commute you want? I'm going to be at the Survivor shoot next weekend (28th), shall I bring my cards there?

23. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Shewski... bringing cards to the shoot may be some fun, though Fluke just informed me that he'll be changing the filming date for a couple of different reasons, though I'm not sure when he's going to move it to. I'm sure he'll announce it pretty shortly.

At any rate, if he does postpone it to some other time, maybe we could still get together on the 28th for cards, or take in a flick, or do some disc-golfing, or something. Any interest there?

In other news, I found a commute that works for me. I'm out the door roundabouts 6:15, run over to Beulah church, park at the Park-and-Ride, and hop on the bus to get downtown somewhere around 7:15 - 7:30. It's reasonably cheap, more fun than being stuck in traffic (since I can read on the bus), and it drops me off basically right across the street from where I work. Win-win-win situation!

I really like my new job, too. I've met some really cool people, and I thoroughly enjoy working downtown amidst all the suits, homeless people, and street-peddlers ( 8-}) because it makes me feel like a grown-up. It's incredibly satisfying to stroll into a building with 17 floors to go to work, rather than pulling into the parking lot of a mall or grocery store. After a year, it finally feels like my degree is pulling its weight...

Hallelulah!,
    Yours Truly

24. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Howdy!

It's been a while- work has been certainly busy this week.

Brian, since we both had the 28th blacked out, I'd love to hang out during the day. Disc Golfing sounds like fun- as well as a movie, since I haven't seen a new one in a while. Of course, what meeting would be complete without some card games? I've got two new deck types for you to try on for size!

If you want to golf, should we go early as to avoid getting burnt to a crisp? Maybe we can just meet at one of our houses, go to the course of your choice (since you are the man) and then play it by ear. We'll just make sure we have our cards.

25. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    Alright, by the way - I can't do anything on June 28th. That's my Father's death day (2 years ago), so I'll be staying home with my family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.