main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Timeline Gold & ChronoRadio Announcements

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nathan PTH, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I'm on my way to download now, I'll return later with comments on Episode 5 as well as the Special Edition. Nathan, I waited for the official release before laying out my comments on the Canon Episode because I wanted them to be posted in the forum. Sorry if it seemed like I ignored it or forgot about it. You'll hear from me, there is no escaping that. ;)

2. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Nichos: Now that you mention it, I'll look at that issue real fast . . .

Aha! I had been looking for that when scripting that episode out and had only found the one other Gamer quote. I thought I'd just been imagining this one. The concepts in it are basically the same as what I addressed elsewhere, but I'll go ahead and mark that as something to refer to in the CR6 callbacks in December. I already discovered, thanks to Jesse Fair, that there was one more person who played Fett in an audio drama that I (and the people behind the Fett special edition magazine ages ago, apparently) never knew existed.

As for the next episode, it's slated for December. I'd really like to go back to monthly, but it's hard to be able to guarantee anything like that. If it comes down to it, and I end up with plenty of time, maybe I'll do a November one just as a bonus episode or something. I don't want to get into the habit of promising monthly episodes if I can't meet that goal, though.

Wedge: No problem. I can wait. :)

General: Also, I fixed the link on the CR page for the "Canon Question" episode. The normal link had been screwed up and linking to Episode V. Only the mirror was working. But it's fixed now.

::EDIT::

JEEEEZ. Okay, on the other hand, if not a full November episode, perhaps a supplemental one is in order. I've gotten a few questions that might be fun to address on the show, but I'm not sure they're tied enough into the literature to fit in a regular episode. Perhaps I could start a series of supplemental episodes that are on the topic of Star Wars somehow, but not directly tied to continuity issues. Say, maybe half or 1/3 the regular length?

3. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Update: It looks like the supplemental episode for November, "Episode 5.5" I guess, will definitely feature Prelude to Hope's Kris Newsom as co-host, and, among other things, a few direct questions and direct answers from myself to Chris Cerasi regarding the "abuse of Infinities" topic.

Think he took the party line? (Would it even be possible for it to be any other way . . . ?)

4. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Update: The new CR #5.5 has been entirely recorded. All that's left is mixing Kris' portion in, which turned out really well. Expect the new SWT-G and CR 5.5 to hit the 'net not *this* weekend, but the next, the weekend of Nov. 8-10.

I've also lined up Ian Bowie of the SW fan audio drama Second Strike and fan film Exile for December's CR #6, and plans are now underway for the next series of CR Special Editions, which I'll announce more about as I get closer to releasing the first one. I'm hoping that the first new CR:SE will be ready by Christmas or New Year's Day, but we'll see.

Wedge, did you have other comments you wanted to make? Sounded like you did.

5. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I finished listening to Episode #4 the other day, and I really enjoyed that episode.

I have started to listen to Episode #5, but haven't finished that yet. Since I am on holiday's, I will have to finish it when I get home.

What ever happened to the question about the demise of Star Wars Gamer?

6. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    I actually ran out of time on the Gamer thing. I wanted to fold it into the NJO discussion, but that was the last segment I recorded for CR #5, so it ended up being just whittled down to the letter and a brief comment about the switchover to Insider and how it didn't bode well for Gamer subscribers who wanted to get the next EotV story.

The confirmation that the EotV story ended up having a skipped episode for transfer subscribers will end up in a short call-back at the start of November's supplemental CR #5.5. Just kinda had to make a judgement call on how much time to give the issue, and figured I'd put the time into the features instead.

Speaking of features, though, looks like there are several things on the horizon for CR. The November episode is done, except for mixing together both halves of the live interview with Kris Newsom, so it should be ready by that weekend projection. I've also gotten topics chosen for December. They should include a review of the manga adaptations, a look back at the Holiday Special, a home video release discussion on various versions, and a look at Destiny's Way and the High Council. After that, nothing's slated yet for the February CR #7, or any #6.5 for January, if there even is one. However, plans are already underway for the next *five* special edition episodes. I'm about 17 minutes into recordings for the first one, but that means I'm only about 1/7 through prepping that one. My guess is that I'll try to get that one out in January or so, depending on my free time. I'll post more about that one as it gets closer to release. More than likely, I'll put up the banner for it about a month beforehand as a "coming soon."

7. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Perhaps for the February edition, you can do a review for Force Heretic: Remnant & Tatooine Ghost.

Perhaps get some reader reviews?

8. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Ack, I think my post vanished.

Let's try again ("the short, short version"):

I may do that, depending on what Feb's looks like. I figure there's room for listener comments, even if I go to full-episode guest hosting, as long as I time it right. The full-ep guest hosting will start in December, so that'll sorta be the test run for that.

Have you had any luck getting set up to do any recording? A cheapo $10 microphone would do it, and you wouldn't need anything more sophisticated for recording than sound recorder or somesuch. I'd like to move away from reader comments being read by me and into reader comments being all audio, but so far, that's not seeming like it's going very well.

Of course, lately, I haven't had much of a chance to do much reader comments because most of the times I've posted topics, people hadn't been responding, so I started going more one-man show as far as discussion went. But I'm always open to getting more in there.

9. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Err, whoops. Forgot to come back after listening to #5. That monster was long! But pretty intertaining. I don't think it was the best episode. All the reviews at the end kind of got clogged and I couldn't seem to keep my attention on some of them, although those comics do sound very cool. Everything else was good, as usual, even if I didn't actually agree with everything you had to say with the NJO or JA-JQ.

The Canon episode was great. I think a lot of people need to hear it. I liked the analogy to the kingdom and the castle and everything. You've really thought these things out, thats for sure. You were clear on all your points and I felt like you were almost talking directly to me, which was weird.

Overall the project is going along very nicely. Keep on truckin' and I'll continue to listen.

10. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    And . . . CR #5.5 is fully mixed. We're looking at 59:37 running time, which is about half an hour shorter than most regular episodes end up these days. The mixing with Kris' stuff went very well, so it's ready to go as soon as I get the next SWT-G ready.

11. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    That monster was long! But pretty intertaining. I don't think it was the best episode. All the reviews at the end kind of got clogged and I couldn't seem to keep my attention on some of them, although those comics do sound very cool. Everything else was good, as usual, even if I didn't actually agree with everything you had to say with the NJO or JA-JQ.

Yeah. I think that one went well, but I still think the episode covering Infinities was better. I think in the future I'm going to whittle down the recommendations into maybe TV, music, printed material, home video, and movie. That cuts from 2 books to 1, cuts out a special comics category, and gets rid of the "tv cartoon" category. That'll tighten that up. We already know what the recommendation for December will be, and given that both Ian and I are big fans, it should turn out to be a decent recommendation segment. If you have things you want to comment on in disagreement with the NJO or JA/JQ segment, go for it. I can quote it in the show or, better yet, put in an audio clip. It'd have to wait till December, though. CR 5.5's in the bag.

The Canon episode was great. I think a lot of people need to hear it. I liked the analogy to the kingdom and the castle and everything. You've really thought these things out, thats for sure. You were clear on all your points and I felt like you were almost talking directly to me, which was weird.

Aha, mission accomplished.

Overall the project is going along very nicely. Keep on truckin' and I'll continue to listen.

Will do. Hopefully when I get to the first of the new "breed" of Special Editions (hopefully in Dec. or Jan.) you'll still find it as enjoyable. (Yeah, totally different format for those new CR:SE's that are coming.)

12. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    One thing that I notice, is that the sound is pretty faint at times for me, and I really have to concentrate to hear the audio. I don't know, it could be the mp3 player I am using, but I still have the volume turned up full.

Is this a trade off from compression?

13. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    "One thing that I notice, is that the sound is pretty faint at times for me, and I really have to concentrate to hear the audio. I don't know, it could be the mp3 player I am using, but I still have the volume turned up full.
    Is this a trade off from compression?"

I haven't noticed that when listening. It may be the player. All the files are recorded at whatever volume the mic picks up, but then it's all normalized to 97% before being exported. The compression down to 24 kbps shouldn't make a big volume difference. It should make it more "tinny" or somewhat "scratchy" compared to the normal 128 kbps files I originally record, but I can't think of any reason the volume would be fouled up.

14. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Thanks Nathan. I might try a new mp3 player.

I am playing them on a laptop computer without external speakers, so I am relying on the internal speakers. However, that shouldn't be a problem, as when I play songs that I have downloaded, they sound great!

15. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    That's odd. I'm on a laptop as well, and haven't had internal speaker trouble. Try it with just good old Windows Media Player if you're on a PC. That's what I've been using.

Generally, I record in Total Recorder, mix in Quicktime 6 Pro, then encode with either Audio MP3 Maker or WaveLab (which I'm still learning, hence not using it for mixing), then it's compressed even further from CD quality to 24 kbps by either Michael Smith using MusicMatch or me using WaveLab. Then I do all playback through Media Player or, in off cases, WinAmp. No problems yet, but there's always the chance that there's a conflict of coding somewhere along the way there with whatever you're using to play.

16. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I am actually using WinAmp... I will try Windows Media Player as you suggested. I will let you know the results.

17. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Hmm. Odd that WinAmp wouldn't work.

In the future, I think we've just determined that I'll be encoding Mono versions of the files.

If I can figure out how to do so in WaveLab, at least. If it sounds okay, that would decrese file sizes yet again.

18. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Wedge: You've been good to have around for feedback on CR:SE #1. Any chance you'd want to come aboard as a regular previewer of the episodes? Right now, only SWT and CR helpers get to hear them before release, so I tend to get a lot of good feedback (and a lot of "yes-man" style answers, when I know a segment sucked).

If so, let me know. I've got CR #5.5 and the first 10 minutes of the "top secret" CR:SE #2 ready to go if you want to check them out. As long as you can agree not to discuss or distrubute until release, it'd work out great, I think.

19. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I use WinAmp3 now, and it works fine on that. Also works on my normal WinAmp (2.4 I think). Most mp3 players should be the same though, with just more features and plugins for each. Code should be pretty standard otherwise, as they are meant to read the same types of files. I dunno though.

I can't say I won't be a yes-man from time to time, but I'd love to do that. I'll be sure to give feedback as soon as a can, and then post it again in the thread upon release if I feel that I want to do so.

I won't tell a soul. :)

20. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Sounds good. IM me at Darth Neo. I'll link you to the CR to be released next weekend and the first test of CR:SE #2's content, though I doubt I'll call it CR:SE #2 in the end. I can also, if your direct connection will work with my firewall setup, let you check out the newest logos that have been set up for future CR episodes.

21. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Wedge: Let me know if you have any thoughts on the JA/JQ thing that you want to voice for CR #6. I'll be revisiting that topic briefly in December based on the somewhat amusing video interview with Jude Watson that Scholastic put up.

"A lot of imagination" indeed.

22. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Ahaha! I was thinking that when I saw the video.

I'll maybe post some more thoughts later. I haven't read all of JA, and JQ is new. I have some things to say though.

23. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Sounds good. Any thoughts on the NJO thing would be welcome as well, but I honestly don't know how time is going to work out. CR #6 is already looking to be extra long. We're going to have to give ourselves distinct time blocks for each topic or it's going to be far too long.

We'll probably start recording at least a little for it this weekend, though, once the new SWT-G and CR 5.5 get released.

24. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Nathan, I have a challenge for you!

Instead of ChronoRadio, have you ever thought about producing.... ChronoVideo?!?

25. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    I don't have the capacity here. It'd require a better location, DV (or hell, non-DV) camera here, and the capacity to capture it to video files. I have none of those here. CR needs to remain both quick to record and edit (in order to ensure one every other month for sure) and within my capacities to do completely solo if necessary.

Besides that, what would ChronoVideo be? Me sitting around like O'Reiley? I'm not in a stratigic enough situation to allow for author interviews, and my co-host subjects are far away as well. It'd almost be a waste of video, and it'd kill many of the jokes.

Then again, you guys haven't heard the newest episode yet, so you haven't heard the continuation of Yoda's celebration hot tub antics . . . Suffice to say that Yoda will be playing a bigger role in the show than just his usual spoiler warning. At least for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.