main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR SWOTR on Mac

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Shereshoy Cabur, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    Someone has probably posted this question or asked it but has anyone seen or heard any news/update/rumor about the Mac version coming out? Last I heard a buddy of mine said a developer hinted that they were working on a Mac version, but that was over a year ago.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Kinda doubt it is...just bootcamp if you want games on your Mac. It's what I do.

3. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Yeah, they've said they aren't going to release a Mac version, you'll need to use bootcamp.

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    FWIW a clean Windows install from a disc is wonderful if you ask me-been owning Macs for years and TBH Bootcamp is one of my favorite things about them :p

5. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    Doesn't bootcamping your Mac really mess it up? Because I also use my Mac for work on Adobe Programs and I use a lot of space on my hardrive.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No, it doesn't. Yeah it uses disc space, but Macs come with huge hdd space anyway.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, bootcamp works great for playing PC games on Mac. It would be nice if they came out with a mac version someday (Guild Wars 2 came out with a mac version really fast, considering), but considering the way the game is going... a Mac port doesn't seem like a high priority for them (more like trying to get people to spend more money on the cartel market).

If you really don't want to use bootcamp, if you have enough ram Parallels might work, but it wouldn't anywhere near as smooth a solution as bootcamp. There used to be a wine port of swtor but I think its been broken since some patch or other.

DarthBoba likes this.
  8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That...is an awful lot of RAM. :p

Bootcamp is both the most efficient and cost-effective way to get games on a Mac, IMO-beyond the initial investment of a copy of Windows (I use 7 atm, as Vista is, well, Vista, XP isn't supported anymore, and 8's licensing is beyond absurd, whereas 7 is a lot more flexible in that regard) your only costs are games.

9. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    The only problem I've had running SW:TOR with bootcamp has been that I was missing a video codec when I first installed TOR and everyone on the screen looked like a really fat hobbit...

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's...odd. You're sure it wasn't a video driver?

11. Agarwaen the Elven King

Agarwaen the Elven King Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
  12. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Yeah, it probably was a missing video driver now that I think about it. I don't remember exactly what I installed to fix the problem, but several forums I just glanced over to tweak my memory mentioned Catalyst drivers which sounds about right.

If anyone wants to see what it looks like here's a screen cap from the SW:TOR forums. Not my own, but that's how it looked when I played through Tython the first time...[face_beatup]

http://s2.beta.photobucket.com/user/acidrat/media/playscreen.jpg.html

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, yep! AMD catalyst is a must for Bootcamped iMacs assuming they've got an AMD card in em...not sure what's up with that card, but Steam's normally fine video driver updater is like "?" with those :p

14. Agarwaen the Elven King

Agarwaen the Elven King Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
  15. Shtormtrooper

Shtormtrooper Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2013
    Bootcamping to play it is pretty good cos then you are committing to play the game, its like, there's a buld up, a dedicated effort. Customise your windows sounds to be Star Wars ones, that's what I do ;)

DarthBoba likes this.
  16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I've gotten kinda excited about Windows again after discovering Rainmeter and it's wonderful skins...they should've taken THAT as a building point for 8. Just saying.