main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Talk Like A Pirate Day?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Separatist101, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I've noticed the banner on the main menu proclaims it to be "Talk Like A Pirate Day", what is this about?

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It is an abomination of the internet.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm glad to see someone else agrees with me here on that.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm pretty sure we're not the only ones but I can safely say that Pirate Day is probably the one thing in which I share your bitterness with.

6. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    +1

It was mildly amusing to me for about 5 minutes the first year I was here, and has continuously gotten more and more annoying with every passing year. Can we at least make it a Pirate "Day", instead of the usual 4-5 day Pirate "Weekend", that would be hot.

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If it bothers you all that much, you're welcome to block images from TFN any time you wish. :)

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Hear that grinding sound? That's the annual removal of layers from my teeth brought on by having to endure this banner.

But we all have to live with it.

9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Don't worry anyone caught talking like a pirate will be shot by our very own navy.

10. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I like Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Yer poxy-beamed gunnel gnawer, arr, says I.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Glad to have another on board the TLAPD hate train! There's a full bar available.

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    And how would that block out the annoyance of people actually talking like pirates?

13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, I have no issue with the banner.... I preferred that to a fair bit of others, and don't pay too much attention to them always, but it's the talk that's annoying. Thankfully, I don't hear much talking like a pirate on that day anymore.

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Sadly, the JC can't be the answer to all of life's problems. However, I'd recommend finding a good (long) fanfic to keep you occupied until the dust settles.

15. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Is that really the best response to a few active posters expressing their disagreement with the banner? I mean, okay, Tunick has a mental breakdown over the Pancakes and Waffles forum regularly, but considering the number of people in this thread who seem to dislike the way (or fact that) we celebrate Pirate day, maybe it would be a better response to actually re-evaluate how the community as a whole feels about it instead of just getting grumpy and laying down the law?

Just a thought!

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm totally down for a focus group.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

That Tunick doesn't exist anymore.

18. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    If you feel "a few active posters" speak for the entire community and necessitate a discussion on changing something we've done for fun around here for years, then let's have a serious discussion. Because up to this point, it really hasn't been one.

My personal opinion is that putting up a banner for a couple days is a fun change of pace. There are plenty of banners that go up all the time that a lot of people don't like (for example, the Strawberry Shortcake banner currently up in YJCC), but those people don't start Comms threads demanding they never be used again. So I'm just curious, what makes this situation different?

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I never said a few active posters speak for the entire community, actually I said the opposite of that. I said maybe you should consult the entire community instead of shooting down those few active posters who are expressing their discontent just because YOU ( one active poster) think that it constitutes a fun change of pace that everyone should go along with.

Um, the fact that they DID start a thread makes it different. I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. Obviously no one has enough of a problem with the Strawberry Shortcake banner to complain in Comms, and some people do have enough of a problem with the Pirate banner to complain in Comms. That's the difference, that's why the latter requires attention and the former doesn't. It's pretty simple...

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This thread wasn't started by anyone complaining about the banner, but by a new user wondering that "Talk Like A Pirate Day" meant. So yeah.

Oh, and you'll take the Strawberry Shortcake banner from my cold, dead hands.

21. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Challenge accepted.

22. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    BTW, I forgot to mention that I don't play fair.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I like to point out that there was only one pirate themed thread this year, as opposed to year's past, and no thread titles were edited to incorporate a pirate theme.............so in many ways, TLAPD has lost its luster around here.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    A couple of posters PMed us in advance asking us to not edit their threads' titles this year so we weren't in the mood to be playful, truth be told.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.