main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Terry Pratchett

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by TC-47, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

seriously?

i read that and thought "why that book"? and then i think, well, he wouldn't struggle to cast the city watch (vimes, carrot, nobby, colon etc) or the wizards *, and he wouldn't have to create ankh-morpork either as sets or digitally (which would be impressive to see, to say the least) and so it kind of makes sense. although i am dissapointed as to the choice of book to turn into a film, this should be great to see, and who knows, it may be just the beginning. if it does well other books could make it to the big screen.

* speaking of casting these characters, which actors do you reckon would be good as these parts? vimes and carrot, the dean and ridcully, and the patrician (although alan rickman could do this with ease i reckon), would be the toughest to cast IMHO.

2. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    It'll be interesting to see if Discworld translates to the big screen. It might work quite well, but so much of Pratchett's genius is in the text itself rather than the story. The words, the jokes, the footnotes. We shall see.

As for casting, I really hope Pratchett puts a "British cast only" rule down like JK Rowling did. No offence to the mighty US of A, but they cannot be allowed to ruin Discworld by casting American A-listers. [face_plain]

Alan Rickman as Lord Vetinari (or Death! Nobody else could play Death!)
    Dame Judy Dench as Granny Weatherwax
    John Cleese as Ridcully (well, maybe :p )
    David Tennant as Carrot (hmm . . .)
    and
    Andy Serkis as the Librarian

I'll do some thinking :)

3. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    i always thought of john cleese as being the dean!! that would be great! ridcully always (in my mind) is a fat bloke. someone like richard griffiths, or micheal gambon would be spot on. death would be cgi i suppose, that would be too hard to cast. agree with andy serkis as the librarian too! how about ray winstone as vimes?

oh, and the wee free men should all be voiced by billy connelly ;)

4. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    I love Night Watch and Thud! the most. I've read all 30-something Discworld books and all of his children's books that are in print in the US.

Anyone else read The Unadulterated Cat? Short read, but I found it amusing.

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    My parents are in london at the moment and I told them that to appease me for not taking me along, they had to go to my favorite bookshop on Charing Cross Road, where they have a WALL of Terry Pratchett books and buy me Thud!

6. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    I love the Discworld novels. I just went on a bit of a bing and read three of his novels in the last week. Monstrous Regiment is great. The whole women dressing up as men, dressing up as women and the guards thinking they are men. Priceless.

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  8. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
  9. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm really interested to see who they cast in some of the parts, particularly Mr Teatime and Susan.

Death: Live action or CGI?

10. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    have to be cgi. how would anyone look like this:

[image=http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/florent.bouchez/discworld/images/death.jpg]

11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Like this:
    [image=http://www.valhallaarms.com/wyvern/death/images/skull.jpg]

12. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005

er, that looks crap. they have to do it with cgi.

13. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Oh, I'm sure they will. I thought that looked quite good for a skeleton made of foam :p

14. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Movie: if they get this right I shall love them forever. If they get it wrong I have no idea what the massed TP fans of this Earth shall wreak upon them . . .

Death has to be CGI. Hey, can we get Andy Serkis to do Death, as well? :p

15. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Hey, guys!

The BBC have dramatised Small Gods! They're airing part 1 tonight (28/2)on Radio 4 at 11pm, for any other Britons here.

Other nations, you should be able to find it on the BBC's Listen Again page for about a week after it's broadcast. :)

16. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005
    whoa!! this thread dropped like a stone :p

i just finished reading "thief of time". anybody else who has read this keep thinking of the matrix while reading it? the way the main characters (lu tze and lobsang) can slice time had me in mind of bullet time. and i think that lobsang definately had "neo" influences with lu tze being a kind of morpheus character. the way that lobsang ends up being better than his master was definately influenced by the matrix imho. anyone else think the same?

17. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Thief of Time is a bit like "Discworld does Matrix", but on the other hand, it's not as if it's an all-out parody. Quite often Pratchett takes one Earth idea and runs off cackling with it :p and sometimes the idea is quite specific, but the stories are always original.

So yeah, ToT has a lot of Matrix-y elements. (The footnote about there being no spoon is the funniest single line in the book, IMHO . . .) But it's not the only one. Wyrd Sisters is the Discworld version of Macbeth, and Maskerade is no less than a much funnier Phantom of the Opera.

It crops up in the Matrix, but it's an ancient idea. It's even in SW: "When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master . . ."

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The footnotes are often the funniest part of any Pratchett book :)

19. Lord-Wiz

May 20, 2005

i've just started re-reading "witches abroad" again, which is basically "cinderella" :D

anyway, i stumbled across this website while looking for pics of lord vetinari. it's a collection of drawings of characters, and they are very good. in some cases the artist has captured exactly what i had in my mind's eye that a character looks like; carcer in night watch, cliff from soul music (he's got the whole band nailed imho), and vimes (towards the bottom of the page) about who the artist writes: For a long time, I thought it was Bruce Willis who I pictured in my head when I concentrated hard on Vimes, and that didn't feel right ... then I realized it was actually Richard Dean Anderson (known to me via Stargate SG-1, the show I now call Vimes in Space) and suddenly all the pieces fell into place. an interesting opinion i thought.

just thought i'd share :)

20. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Terry Pratchett books are great. I like Jingo and Monstrous Regiment, as well as a host of others.
    The story The Sea and Little Fishes is funny, too.

21. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Lord-Wiz: Those pictures are fantastic, and I've emailed the artist to say so. Thanks very much for the link!

Rilwen_Shadowflame: The Sea and Little Fishes - is that the one with the Witch Trials competition in it? If so, I think I've read it in some anthology somewhere. It was pretty good :)

22. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Yes, that's the one.
    I loved Nanny Ogg's life being an open book, but only available in plain covers. :p

23. General_Veers05

General_Veers05 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2005

24. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I was round Lord-Wiz's place the other day and his other half, Lady-Wiz, had THUD! The Board Game edition.

It was great, playing 8 trolls v 32 dwarves, first as one team then the other. So much fun!

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I just started my first Discworld book [face_dancing] The guy at the bookstore recommended Mort. So far it reminds me a bit of a cross between Douglas Adams and Piers Anthony.

What would be the book(s) to read after Mort?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.