main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TF.N] Joshua Griffin Resigns as Editor

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord_Fett, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Okay, how did the discussion turn from the resignation of Josh to homosexuality? Ugh. [face_plain]

2. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Sorry to see you go, Josh.

Off-topic: It was probably when this post was made:

xie

Date Posted: 11/5 5:31pm Subject: RE: [TF.N] Joshua Griffin Resigns as Editor
    CAN WE NOW BE LESS THAN GOD PRAISING AND ACKNOWLEDGE OUR HOMOSEXUAL FRIENDS PLEASE?

3. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    Good bye Josh!

I didnt even know you had "kids" with an 's' at the end by now! Congrats!

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Bob...
    "Care to enlighten me as to what you're talking about?"

Xie suggested that now that Josh resigned, we could all start talking about our gay friends now. I suggested that I've always talked about gay charcaters when appropriate.

"Well, I know he's joking, I just don't think it's very funny. Of course, it may be because I had a gay dog. He died. I was so traumatized afterward that I cut out my sense of humor with a rusty spoon."

Sorry to hear that. Really. We all need more gay dogs in our lives.

5. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Xie suggested that now that Josh resigned, we could all start talking about our gay friends now. I suggested that I've always talked about gay charcaters when appropriate.

Yeah, I caught that. I took exception to your use of "gay" as a term to describe a character you don't like, which might be considered baiting or flaming by some. Sorry to make an issue out of it, and I don't mean to derail the thread. I'm just looking for an explanation without the flippant commentary.

6. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    let's put it this way:

Jacen Solo is very much like Luke Skywalker...equally whiny.

Pee Wee Herman was less annoying then Luke and Jacen. ;)

7. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Bob...
    "Yeah, I caught that. I took exception to your use of "gay" as a term to describe a character you don't like, which might be considered baiting or flaming by some."

Then you were confused. My dislike of Jacen has nothing to do with his sexuality. What you're honestly suggesting is that gay characters cannot be disliked for their character traits/flaws outside of their homosexuality. Or, an even more distasteful proposition, I suppose, is that while straight people are defined by any number of traits - good and bad - gay people are defined entirely by their sexuality. It is the 21st century.

8. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Fine, if we're really going to go off topic, lets go all the way.

Then you were confused. My dislike of Jacen has nothing to do with his sexuality. What you're honestly suggesting is that gay characters cannot be disliked for their character traits/flaws outside of their homosexuality. Or, an even more distasteful proposition, I suppose, is that while straight people are defined by any number of traits - good and bad - gay people are defined entirely by their sexuality. It is the 21st century.

Actually, I wasn't confused. I don't appreciate your attempt to twist my words and your own to suit your purpose, either. You have provided no evidence that the character of Jacen Solo is gay, and I don't believe that there is any, considering his relationship with Danni Quee in the NJO series.

Lets look at what you said and how it could be interpreted as a derogotory statement as defined by the TOS.

Well, I already acknowledge the character of Jacen Solo in relevent posts in the EU forums. (Granted, I acknowledge that his character sucks, but that's beside the point.

Here you are insinuating that Jacen Solo is gay. You also acknowledge that he "sucks" as a character. You provide no context for your comment. To the best of my knowledge the cahracter is not gay, and insinuating that he is and that this would be percieved as a negative is inappropriate.

I followed by asking if that comment wasn't inappropriate, unless the character actually was gay.

Your response:

Unless, sure. But that's a pretty big "unless" in his case.

Again, no proof is provided to backup your original statement.

So I asked for some in my next post, as well as an explanation of your menaing.

Your response:

Instead of providing evidence you talk down to me like I'm a slow four-year-old.

So, in sum, you've provided no evidence to prove that the character was ever gay in the first place. All I've gotten is flippant responses. You're affixing the label to him. Now you're trying to twist my words around to make it look as if I am the one affixing broad negative labels to a person or character I don't like.

I don't appreciate that.

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Bob...
    "Instead of providing evidence you talk down to me like I'm a slow four-year-old."

Well, unless I know for sure from proof of parental consent, I try to treat everyone whose age I don't know as at least thirteen.

I apologize if you think I was unsuccessful in doing so in this case.

10. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, unless I know for sure from proof of parental consent, I try to treat everyone whose age I don't know as at least thirteen.

I apologize if you think I was unsuccessful in doing so in this case.

Jeez, when did PreacherBoy get back into ModSquad?

Has anyone else noticed that he's completely sidestepping the point of contention here? You would think an EU Lit mod would be able to back up his point without having to resort to talking in circles.

11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    When PreacherBoy was a mod, he caused enough trouble to be shot. Of course the JC was a little more primitive in those days.

12. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Let it go. Both of you.

Kimball Kinnison

13. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Lighten up, guys. This is a thanks, Josh thread. You both are disrespecting his years here with your bickering. Thank you for taking your differences elsewhere, please. :D

14. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    I hope I didn't kill this thread..... [face_plain] :( :_|

15. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Thanks, Josh, for the site and everything that comes with it.

Now that you're gone, I want my damn life back. :p

16. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2004

Thanks Josh, for always striving for the Best for TF.N

Thanks, Josh, for being an editor who cared

Thanks Josh, for giving us your most valuable possesion: your time

Thanks, Josh, for showing me personally, how much fun Star Wars can really be.

My absolute best goes out to you and your family. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.