main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Best Star Wars Game of All Time (Opinion)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by TK788, Nov 25, 2012.

?

What do you think is the best Star Wars game of all time? (Alphabetical Order)

Poll closed Feb 25, 2013.
  1. Star Wars: Battlefront

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Star Wars: Battlefront II

19 vote(s)
    24.7%
  3. Star Wars: Empire at War

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. Star Wars: Dark Forces

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Star Wars: Galaxies

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

44 vote(s)
    57.1%
  9. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  10. Star Wars: Republic Commando

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I actually liked Battlefront 1 more than Battlefront 2. But I'm weird like that.

But for my vote as favorite, it would have to be . . . KotOR. Never before have I been so attached to the characters and the struggles that they went through as I have in that game. When I first played it I was but a young'n who was ignorant of all the specifics with skills and feats and force powers. I pretty much played it how I damn well wanted to play it, and that first play through stuck in my memory like glue.

Honorable mention goes to Rogue Squadron 3D and X-Wing Alliance. I spent a lot of time in those two games. And Dark Forces II. Well, my sister played that one more. I just watched. I liked what I saw though!

I miss those days. I used to dream about when graphics would be awesome and thought that Star Wars games in the future would just get more great. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be. Does anybody know when exactly LucasArts began to slide down into the pit of mediocrity?

Life and heels1785 like this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I thought that the Bespin level on BF1 was the most fun of either of the two games. Also, I enjoyed Jedi Academy on PC- not on the list, but it was a fun game.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Which Bespin level? There were two of them
    Cloud City and whatever the Starfighter level was called.

4. Neonic

Neonic Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2013
    Both Rogue Squadron on GCN, and Revenge of The Sith on PS2.

One for the space-combat, and one for the lightsaber-combat.

Life and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Around when the prequels came out and we were hit with shovel-ware? Although that's an unfair statement, because Masters of Teras Kasi came out before the prequels, but in general it holds true.

H-BOMB likes this.
  6. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    Yeah, I was guessing that's how it went down.

Although, it could be the nostalgia speaking . . .

7. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    After Battlefront II and Kotor II there was been nothing that great from LucasArts.

TFU had potential, but it was a mess. Its only saving grace was its story. Then the sequel ruined it.

8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think the last great LA game we got was Empire at War, which wasn't even developed by them...everything after 2006 doesn't match the quality of what came before. Some of the prequel stuff was pretty underrated.

Life likes this.
  9. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm now playing through the Knight of the Old Republic games again, but for now my favorite Star Wars game is Knights of the Old Republic, with Battlefront II as my number two.

10. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Knights of the Old Republic. If it weren't for that game I wouldn't be as big a SW fan as I am now. I was completely burnt out on Star Wars in general (knee jerk reaction to the prequels, disaffection with the direction of the post-ROTJ EU, tired of hearing about the Clone Wars etc) and had little interest in it. A feature in some gaming magazine changed all that. then I heard some of the music and the flame was lit once more.

Also it introduced me to BioWare and their works.

Life likes this.
  11. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    From what I've played, probably Battlegrounds.

I really want to play KOTOR, these X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. I might have to buy older consoles and a PC to play the older Windows games.

12. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    1: Star Wars (C64)
    2: Star Wars (Amiga)
    3: X Wing (PC)

I've never owned any of the others, though I've played a few. They all seem fairly unremarkable.

13. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    My favorite SW game is still the original Knights of the Old Republic. The gameplay was decent, but the main selling point was the great story, and as someone who's both a big Star Wars fan and who plays games primarily for stories it was a fantastic fit.

Honorable mentions would go to both Battlefront games (the first moreso), all three Rogue Squadron games (especially the second), KotOR II, Shadows of the Empire, and Bounty Hunter.

Empire at War is decent when it comes to the space combat, but the galactic view and ground battles aren't as fun. RTS's are my favorite genre, but overall this is one of the weaker ones I've played. Using the Death Star to blow up every Rebel planet in the campaign was hella fun though. I've also played and enjoyed The Clone Wars (the PS2 game) which I thought had a good story and a fun mix of several different types of combat. Doesn't hold a candle to the others though. Battle for Naboo and Episode I Racer were both games I enjoyed as a kid, but I haven't played either one in years and don't remember them very well, except that the overheating engines in Racer sometimes drove me crazy. Republic Commando is a lot of fun but the lack of ammo is sometimes a real problem. What are you supposed to do against two SBDs when all you have is a blade and a pistol?! Seriously, those two auxiliary weapons became my main ones far too often.

Galaxies was kind of fun pre-updates, but never really felt like a very good game to me in general. I suppose it was because I've never been much of a co-op player and MMOs in general are outside of my gaming comfort zone.

The only two Star Wars games I didn't enjoy much at all were the ROTS game, which felt repetitive and somewhat clunky at times, and Starfighter, which was just really forgettable.

I've never played any of the Dark Forces or Jedi Knight/Outcast games, though not for lack of interest. They're just somewhat lower on the buying list. I intend to try the X-wing games eventually, and maybe TFU. Currently playing and loving TOR. At last amn MMO that doesn't have to always feel like an MMO! Greatly enjoying the story for my Jedi Sage, and intend to explore several different classes eventually. I'm especially interested in the Smuggler and the Sith Inquisitor.

Life likes this.
  14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Life likes this.
  15. Neonic

Neonic Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2013
    Forgot to add Bounty Hunter on GCN, for blaster-combat.

16. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    One of the main issues with my game purchasing is I don't have Steam or even a credit card for that matter. I enact the vast majority of my sales transactions with cash in person, and on the rare occasion I want something that can only be found online (and I have the money, which is another big if) I usually have to use the unwieldy method of using my father as a middleman, having him use his card and paying him back in full with cash. I don't even use checks for anything except big things like rent.

I generally only buy maybe 3-4 games a year, if that, with most of my extremely limited disposable income going to either books or, sometimes, DVDs . It doesn't help that I don't have any current (soon to be last gen) consoles, because I can't afford them. I usually have to get my PS2, Gamecube, and N64 games online during those rare occasions, and mostly buy used. The only recent games I have are for my DS Lite and PC, which because of my buying restrictions have ended up playing more than the others by a fair stretch.

17. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    KOTOR 1 & 2 are not only my favorite Star Wars games, but some of my favorite games of all time. I might of liked KOTOR 2 better if it wasn't rushed for Christmas, leaving sections & even parts of the ending cut. Battlefront 2 & Jedi Academy are my honorable mentions. The Force Unleashed games, to me, are horrid. A Vader apprentice, to start, is disappointing considering the fact that you have Vader ( arguably the most iconic villain of all time) & yet instead of playing a game as him, we're instead stuck with an absurd storyline of him taking up an apprentice. Then on top of that, the sequel revolves around playing as the apprentices clone. :rolleyes:

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

18. Yoda_S

Yoda_S Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 1999
    Tie Fighter

19. Khalil O.

Khalil O. Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    For me, the best star wars games of all time are: The Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Game, Star Wars KotOR II, JK II: JO, and Star Wars Episode I: Racer.

Although kotor 1 had a greater impact than kotor 2, I felt that 2 improved upon 1 in every way; everything - everything - done well in 1 was done better in 2. 2 also had more replay value; companions differed not only based on the player's alignment, but also based on the player's gender (neither of which occurred in kotor 1). There was even incentive to follow a neutral path, which was entirely nonexistent in kotor 1. Kotor 1 had two main supporting characters who were immaculately developed; although 2 only had one character that matched the depth of either Bastila or Carth (Kreia), the remaining characters were far more interesting to me than those from the first game. 2's story was much deeper than 1's (which is saying a lot, because 1 was very meaningful; Revan saved or conquered a government (the republic), the Exile saved or conquered every living creature in existence). To me, 1 was Batman Begins, but 2 was The Dark Knight (yet TOR was NOT The Dark Knight Rises. I notice that it wasn't included on the poll :) ). Add to all of this the Restored Content Mod, and you have what I consider one of the best games ever made.

However, I do not think that Kotor 2 is the best star wars game of all time. To me, no other game really captured the "feel" of Star Wars - the atmosphere, setting, adventure, themes, just everything that makes star wars, well, star wars - like the Jedi Knight series did. And, of that series, I say Jedi Outcast was the magnum opus.

In my personal opinion, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is the best Star Wars game of all time.

20. Matsemitsu

Matsemitsu Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Sadly I never got a chance to play KotOR because I chose to buy a PS2 instead of an XBox in those days. So maybe I missed out on the best one - it seems to be a consensus choice. That said, I played the hell out of the Super Star Wars games on the SNES back in the day. The legitimate successor to that - replaying the films' stories in simple and fun gameplay - would be the Lego Star Wars games. I've owned and played The Complete Saga (respectively Lego SW2) on three different platforms (PS2, PSP and PS3).

The Force Unleashed was also fun and epic - but my memory of it is somewhat marred by the abysmal TFU 2.

21. fenixbg

fenixbg Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2013
    1.KOTOR I
    2.KOTOR II
    3 Kotor-city in Montenegro(kidding of course)
    Real 3- Republic commando

22. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Definitely Battlefront 2, but it seems that there are two games not up on the list that (I thought anyway) really kicked ass! Shadows of the Empire and Rogue Squadron were awesome!!

23. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Actually now that I've gone back and checked some of the earlier posts, I see that I am not alone!! Right on. Rogue Squadron was totally cool because to my knowlege, it is still the only game you can ride a tauataun on, and SOTE speaks for itself!

24. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Can we get a Mortal Kombat version of all the Star Wars characters into one video game?

25. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    And not play like Masters of Teras Kasi please.

Original Oatmeal likes this.