main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala The Black Corset Piece

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    All this Pics are mean as!
    I have always wanted to make this gown, but I think I might later on next year..

MC

2. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I was just searching Vogue's new patterns and came upon this
    http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V8329=x&TI=20001&page=4

[image=http://img.sewingtoday.com/cat/20000/itm_img/V8329.jpg]

The pattern could be modified for the skirt, but I thought the picture was funny since it looks so much like Padme's corset dress.

3. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    nice pattern :)

got my skirt done pretty much, just need to hem it and add some tuile to the bottom to give it a little shape, corset is all together just waiting for the boning to arrive to finish it off. gaunlets are cut out and pinned just need to sew them, now i need to order beads for the necklace.

4. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Adalia-Durron/edited_IMGP0613.jpg]

My daughters finished costume...shes a natural , so yes, she's wearing a wig.

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Ooops, net nanny (can you believe it) deleted the word Blonde....so yeah, shes a natural BLONDE!

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/Adalia-Durron/Supanova/DSC04101.jpg]

7. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I have a couple of photos of mine from the weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Padme%20-%20Fireside%20Gown/cosplay_03.jpg
    http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/kentrosaur/Sydney%202006/Saterday/saterday19.jpg
    http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/kentrosaur/Sydney%202006/Saterday/saterday20.jpg

Things I need to fix/change:

8. The neckpiece was jsut made of velvet, and I found I had quite a terrible rash by the end of the day. So I need to line it with cotton (I had actually jsut had to quickly sew it the night before, hence it's shodiness :p). Plus it needs the circle piece for the middle and a better way to actually fasten (I had to use a safety pin).

9. The tail kept gettign stood on, and eventually ripped, so it needs sewing back together. I also need to fix up the hem, as it was very last minute.

10. The gauntlets were just annoying. They were the very last thing I did, and came out really weird. I'm going to use some 4 way stretch vinyl to redo them. The pleather jsut doen't have enough give and jsut came out funny.

11. The pleather corset was orignially tucked into my undercorset, but kept coming out, so I'm thinking of sticking velcro along the top so they will stay together.

12. I also wish I'd been able to do the hairstyle properly, but I ran out of time, and jsut had to settle for a ponytail. Though it ended up looking ok.

13. All in all I was very pleased with how mine came out, especialyl after the drama's I had with the previous overskirt fabric I'd been given that didn't dye. I was really happy with the replacement I found, and I generally had a good reception to my dress. I'm hopefully going to make a fur caplet to go with it next! Hope everyone likes it!

14. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    You looked lovely! I'm amazed how quickly you made it! :)

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Well done Last Chael....the neck piece looked beautiful. Very nice indeed.

kinda disappointed not a single person has made mention of my efforts....but seems to be the way here few of my efforts have been noticed....not going to bother posting anymore.

16. afaeryschild

afaeryschild Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Skirt fabric possibility
    It's black burnout silk velvet with a silver backing.
    http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=X139

17. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    That one looks like it owuld need quite a bit of modifying to get it to look right.

The main problem I've seen with a lot of patterns suggested, is that they involve the bottom of the skirt being a eparate piece. That is, they have a straight skirt to about the knees, and then attach a separate flared part that includes the fishtail.

I don't have a lot of experience drafting patterns from scratch, the most I'd done was a pair of boxer shorts and a straight skirt in home ec classes about 8 years ago. So this was actually the first outfit I've drafted completely from scratch, and it really is not all that difficult. Once I'd done it, I had to keep checking with people that it looks right, because it seemed really too easy. I have a few photos of my drafted skirt that shows how I did it, I can write up a tutorial for both the skirt and corset if anyone is interested (This includes the underskirt, skirt and corset).

18. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003

Perhaps the reason it seemed way too easy is because you might just be a natural with mad drafting skills yet untapped...LOL Plus paying a lot of attention to detail and gettting 2nd opinions also help. Keep it up. Perhaps one day you'll be assisting Trisha Biggar on a project or two. That would be my fantasy....to work with the great ones for Uncle George.

Adalia-Durron don't give up. Lot's going on right now and you did a beautiful job on your little girl's gown. She looked stunning. In costuming, we all like praise, but the smiles on the kid's faces, the the photo ops, the self-satisfaction of a job well done is worth more than our praise. The good thing is that your daughter seemed to be having the time of her life wearing it. I would love it if my daughter got that kind of delight from my costuming efforts. At 26, she's glad I have a hobby, but dismisses it otherwise as frivolous and silly.

19. Forbidden_Priestess

Forbidden_Priestess Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2006
    I just started on making this costume, I hope to keep veryone updated, and get some good tips here.

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Adalia, please stay! I know I always enjoy seeing your projects. I'm sorry I didn't mention it sooner but you did a great job on your daughter's costume! :)

21. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Adalia-Durron - I don't usually check this thread because it isn't a costume I've studied (other than when I tried to count rows of beads at FIDM!) But your daughter's halloween costume turned out adorable :)

So don't take the lack of posts/replies personally. I ended up talking to myself a lot in the padme family gown thread too since I was really the only person working on it at that time.

Last_Chael
    - it looks like you found a nice spiderwebby fabric for the skirt. I always have in the back of my mind if I find a close lace I'd like to make this costume too!

22. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    [face_blush] Thanks Annya, I could only hope that's the case :D Here's a photo of my drafted pattern. It's basically two rectangles of fabric pinned to my dummy :p The front and back are exactly the same (except back has darts) with a split up the back where I sewed in the semicircular back 'tail' piece of the skirt. I've always found that the best things are simple, even though I have a habit of making things alot more complicated than they need be. I still don't know if that's the right way to do it, but it turned out alright :D

Thank you Kay-dee, it was actually a very last minute find, after a bit of a disaster with the other material. I actually ended up being happier with this fabric than with the original stuff I was going to use. I knew I didn't want to use floral, but I was also on a budget. Thankfully, I got this fabric on sale, so I was very lucky!

I still have a few things I need to fix up on this costume. The gauntlets need to be re-made; the under corset needs to be remade as well (it's too big now); and I'd like to at least line the pleather corset to give it stability and hopefully find a better way of securing it than just tucking it into the corset. But they will have to wait as I have other projects on the go atm.

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I remember your family gown monologue! I would have replied but I had nothing to add. :p

24. DarkRadiance

DarkRadiance Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2006
    Hello everyone-

Great jobs on the corset gowns. Everyone's looks great!

I am just starting on the costume and I have a question. I looked through the thread, but I didn't see what I was looking for (although I could have missed it).

How did you do the gauntlet/gloves? I've got a glove pattern, but I can't seem to get the gloves to sit right around the elbow--it either is too tight and I can't move or it is too loose and it just tends to fall down.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

25. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    I had a lot of trouble with my gauntlets. They were very last minute (I was sewing on the buttons on the way to the convention) so the pattern was just fudged (which I wouldn't recommend!!). To remake mine, I'm going to find a fabric that looks like the pleather, but has lots of stretch. I'm hoping for a 4 way stretch vinyl (which I need for a couple of other costumes anyway, so I should be able to use the leftovers), because you need that around the elbows. Though you can actually see on NAtalie, they are quite baggy around the elbows anyway. I put invisible zips in the tops of my gauntlets so that they could be done up nice and tight and not fall down. And then there's buttons along the wrist.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!!

26. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I just measured around my elbow area (with the arm bent), the upper arm, the wrist, and the knuckles. I then made a tube basically that fit snug where those measurements were, after sewing it up and hemming it, I put it on and marked where my thumb knuckle was, marked it in white chalk and cut out a hole. They were the easiest part for me, the skirt however drove me nuts and I am not happy with it (re-making it before CIV hopefully). Mine literally "Fits like a glove" as the term goes :).
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/blackcorsetdress/websize/Black01.jpg]
    Mine are also a little baggy around the elbows, but at least I have full movement in them :D

27. Natalie1988

Natalie1988 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    beautiful !

i will started my corset gown during the holiday !

28. reesemortensen

reesemortensen Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2006
    Hey heyyyyy!!!

I am a newbie in here.

Ok so....i am a fashion designer student....i did sew a bit before....like a couple of skirts.

Since a long time i wished to own the full wardrobe of Padme, not for costuming, but for going to parties, weddings and all that stuff (i am quite extravagant and bold, so her wardrobe isnt very dramatic on my style). Anyway....i've been doing some research (like i guess many of ya)....and found out this place from padawansguide web.

I decided to start with the black corset dress....:) For new year's eve!

I did wish to have the senate gown from The phantom menace (the big one with very worked hair extensions). Its my dream since i saw the pictures on Hello Magazine here in spain (i was 11 years, when the movie was released). I completely falled in love with that dress...since then.....i am determined to get it done :)

Anyway....i am not sure yet if i will do a Light corset or the organ-displacement one (LOL). I like the one natalie wears, i think its a medium corset, not that hard, cause real ones (like Keira Knightley wore in Pirates of the Caribbean 1).....made her waist down to 15 inches or something like that. She had to open the corset every while. Soooo, dunno.

:) I did read a comment about the Mitts that natalie wears, they are closed with satin buttons, in a deep-blue-black. Very nice.

As for her skirt, there must be a rigid material, which i think is the under one (i did buy a grey one)....that is quite rigid....but yet feels smooth.

The feathers, are kind of opalescent tinted. In a light it can come dark-plum, in another light some sort of dark-burgundy dark-mahogany, and in other lights black, and other lights deep-brown. Its hard to tint such thing i think.

Anyway....i wish to help and receive help too LOL.

I did buy Burda pattern....its almost mermaid. Its very tight fitting on the hips and thights....till about the mid calf and going loose beyond that. On the back it has a particular long tail. But in order to achieve that STATIC look of the skirt that natalie wears....i think they did use a kind of rigid musline just in the tail and ankle zone. Not sure...but i will try that on mine.

Anyway....i have very few days left.....:) I am really happy to be part of this community, and excuse me for my english, :p i mess it up with some technical terms.

Take care y'all!!!!

Nora

29. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    Hey, everyone.

Forgive me for being very anal about this, but I've been putting a lot of thought into the neckpiece of this costume. I've made a sketch (albeit not a very good sketch) of the centerpiece that holds the strands to the part around the neck (thank you, Padawansguide.com!!), but the parts hanging down from it are a bit unclear. I think there are three strands with the faceted beads (4 "groups" of 3 "strands" of 5 faceted beads), if that makes sense, and two strands on either side of these (9 bead strands total). But I'm not sure about the "velvet tubing" -- is it strips of velvet sewn together like some patterns have for drawstrings? Or is it all one piece of velvet the strands of beads are placed over? Or am I completely off about this?

So my main question is: What, exactly, is the order of the parts hanging from the neckpiece? I'd really like this costume to be very accurate to a certain degree.

Thanks very much! I'll really try to get pictures if/when I get the gown finished. :)

30. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    thats what i'm currently working on too. i think i was going with six strands of velvet ribbon all seperate but was thinking of tacking them together at various spots so they aren't all flowing seperatly because they don't seem too, if that makes any sense. and then having the other strands of beads over top, currently trying to figure out how to attach the faceted beads to my other strands of beads.

31. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    That sounds about right.

Maybe the faceted beads are fixed to the threading for the beads and they have a piece of backing behind them (a thin piece of black fabric, or something).Or...there are some types of beads that are flat one one side and faceted on the other, but have a hole going through them. That probably isn't it, but it's still a possibility.

Good luck on your costume! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.