main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Long Twilight Path

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    [face_laugh] LOL, tolwin! You just said a mouthful! ;)

But strangely I find myself agreeing with you guys. I really do hope Qui-Gon helps Obi and maybe we will get the chance to see 'what was' between the two. You know, the affection and loyalty between the two that we all love so much, although remembering what Obi-Wan went through, I'd say it would be EXTREMELY hard for them to get that back.

2. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Just my 2 cents, Guys - but I suspect Obi may be too damaged to be able to respond to Qui-Gon. I would think it would be necessary for him to place his trust in whoever it is who might try to help him find his way back from the shadows - and I find it hard to believe he would ever be able to trust Master Butthead again.

Which, once more, smacks of poetic justice.

Besides, unless he's totally undergone a true transformation, Q.G. is still going to be mourning the loss of his legacy.

Should we just post daily speculations, until a certain author decides to have pity - and tell us if we're totally off the mark or not?

CYN

3. Halcyon03

Halcyon03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    Excellent finale, Red! 'Cept I really hate cliffhangers...

As for the speculation about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon... I would tend to agree
    with Cyn. In his present condition, I really don't know how Obi would
    respond to Qui. Although, with the loss of his "legacy", as Cyn so
    accurately put it, Qui may try to help in some way, shape, or form. After
    all, Obi was originally a part of Qui's legacy. He may realize this
    and try to regain a bit of what was lost by helping Obi or Bali now. However, I'm
    guessing much of his time will be spent thinking about his most recent
    padawan. ;)

I think we should keep up with the speculation. It's interesting
    to hear what people have to think about what will happen next. Besides,
    we have to do something while we wait for those spoilers! :D

4. Scrib

Scrib Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    Reactions, thoughts and 2 questions

*stunned*

I actually read the final post a few days ago, and am still going "Huh? No! Obi!!!!" and other so-very-coherent phrases along the same lines. I then went and caught up on Unraveled, and was smacked by the OhMyGodWow stick, right in the face. So yeah, stunned and words like that are about right to describe my reactions to both stories.

And if it's ok, my thoughts/projections on what might happen...

I think that no matter how broken Obi is, the training bond will still be there in some way or form, and that Bali will be the only person that he'll be able to communicate with, through the bond. I don't mean that he'll be totally silent or unresponsive, or anything like that. I just think his speech is very broken, and it may never be the same, but that the training bond will allow him to talk "normally" to Bali. At least, that would be my thoughts.

I also think that Obi and Qui could train him together, but Bali will only consider Obi as his true master. I don't mind the idea of Qui training Bali, but I don't think he should become his Master. I hope that makes some sort of sense (It does in my head, but then again, it's a scary non-sense place to be...)

*Hides from the hoardes of Anti-Qui people, while waiting for RRK to show just how wrong I am*

oh...and...

Question 1, Does anyone know where I could find a Beta-reader? Should I put an ad out *lol*?

Question 2, What's Garen's surname?

I've never read the Jedi Apprentice books (I didn't even know they existed until a few weeks ago)*hides again* so I'm really not very sure on details of things, like Garen's surname and things like that, which is the main reason why I'd like a beta-reader... If I'm posting this last bit in the wrong place, I'm sorry...

-Scrib

5. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Scrib - Can't help you with the beta - I think they're rare as snowballs on Tatooine - but, if I remember correctly, Garen's last name is Muln. But I don't know if that's from JA - or just from some fan fic that I happen to recall.

Anybody who knows better should feel free to speak up, because I'm only guessing.

Good speculation, People - but I feel compelled to point out one thing - and hope RED is listening. Any final installment of this series that does NOT include one towering Jedi Master eating a monster serving of crow - followed by humble pie - while on his knees on a bed of nails - in a hair shirt - wearing headphones with disco music blaring at full volume - is NOT going to sit well with those of us who have absolutely no acquaintance with the quality of mercy or the milk of human kindness.

Comprende, Amigo? :eek:

6. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Question 1, Does anyone know where I could find a Beta-reader? Should I put an ad out *lol*? >>

I'll say, as a person who sort of has a "staff" of full-time and occassional betas, that the best way to do it is to become acquainted with authors in the genre you like and ask them if they'd care to take a look at what you're doing. Provided you can find someone interested that has time, you're good to go. For "special purpose" beta work you can try SMOOCH (mushy stuff) or TACTICS (action stuff) where people will look at samples of what you post and comment on it. (go to the writers resource board to find 'em) Or you can become a "padawan/mushawan" whatever to an established writer into that sort of thing, or go to the "adopt a newbie" thread and find a writer who may be willing to beta for you.

Me, I just know a lot of people and for certain things I know who to ask if I really need help.

Hope this is of assistance,

-Tim

7. ruination

ruination Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2002
    Scrib:
    Hi, heard that you are looking for a beta reader. I would like to try if you are looking for a fresh no experience but long time fan of Obi-angst.
    Lurker,
    Rui-Chan

8. Rogue_JediKnight

Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Red_Rose_Knight - Bravo! and Thank You :D
    Emotions gone through - suffice it to say go look at the emoticon options (ALL of them ;)), that should pretty much cover it [face_mischief]

Poor Obi - I fear that our tragic hero has nothing left to give and nothing left for himself having poured his heart, life and soul into the ones he loves. :_|

??So is Halla alive, dead or destined to make a special guest appearance in Book 3?? Inquiring readers have to know :D.

And ditto what you said earlier: RRK - You know, as far as the JA books go, someone ought to write Jude Watson and thank her for her Qui-centric story telling. If not for her relegating the padawan to secondary character status. Without the frustration caused by her writing I don?t think there would be quite the fanfic base. I have a feeling the JQ books and her story telling with Anakin apparently running around with an incompetent master is going to inspire the same kind of fanfics again. Besides, fanfic is free and there is a lot just as good as her stuff. Sorry. I just get hacked off about that too.

I was unhappy and unsettled with the shift in focus of the series (Sad part is - I thought the first ones were very good IMO) I believe that naw ibo pointed to an interview she(Jude Watson) did with starwars kids (?) a while back and that question was posed - I don't remember her answer (somebody help me out here), but it wasn't very compelling if I recall.

As far as fanfic stories being as good or better? I would say to that - WAY BETTER and one would only have to look as far as this story to know that is the truth.

Scrib - CYN is a absolutely correct, his last name is Muln.

Is it October yet? ;)

Rogue

9. Jedi_Knight_Hunter

Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I've been wondering, since obi refuses to leave Bali's side even to sleep for a 'bit, if prehaps obi ...i don't know how to phrase what I'm thinking...like overloeaded his ability to use the force and can no longer touch it, which is prehaps why he would'nt sleep even next to bali, cuz bali wouldn't be able to sense him in the force anymore.

Well that's what I've been thinkin about for the past two days.
    jkh

10. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Hmmmm....I would say that Qui-Gon's best (and only) chance at redemption with Obi-Wan would be to do what he should have done the FIRST time Obi was in this condition--stay at his side and support him in his recovery. I would think that Qui would be very, very, very reluctant to try and train anyone. Towards the end of this story, he was certainly feeling his age and thinking to himself that he was too old for this anymore. I would hope that Mace would step in to help train Bali while Obi was incapacitated. That way we could see more of reds wonderfully portrayed Mace Windu.

JediCandy

ps. if someone would like me to try and beta for them, I would give it a try to see if we would "mesh." I am usually online for at least part of every day.

11. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Red it sure sounds like alot of us would love to see Qui redeem himself by pulling Obi back from the abyss he's in.I have to disagree with Cynical here though. :eek: I think maybe Qui is the only person other then Bali who can motivate Obi. He has always known just how to push all the right and wrong buttons.If nothing else Obi would make it back simply to spite Qui and give him the much needed set down he deserves! :D I can allready imagine alot of moving and heart breaking scences between these two.

12. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Well, it looks like everyone survived the last post. :D

I planned this from the beginning and was afraid everyone would flip or try to hunt me down. I was having visions of Stephen King?s Misery.

Thank you all for your very kind words.

Ewan-Kenobi? Geeze, we gots Ani easy pickins for Palps. Obi is re-tah-did and with an American accent. Bali will still be annoying.... Warbler's not dead... and Qui-Gon is about one step from a mental institution mumbling to himself about the chosen one. Veniger may or may not be dead. We still don't have any definate answers on whether Bali has special parents.....gah.

Yup. That about sums it up.

JediCandy? hey, red. Perhaps you might pity us poor readers and throw out occasional tidbits during the time you are writing The Chosen Path. You know, kind of snapshot bits and pieces of Obi's apprenticeship to Qui, Anakin's apprenticeship, Bali's apprenticeship---past, present, future, whatever---just to keep us from going into convulsions due to "Path" withdrawal...

Snapshots? Sure. Of course, that might be once every couple of weeks. I think I will stick to the events between AUP and TLTP so not to give anything away until TCP hits the boards. :) I?m thinking about sticking the snapshots in their own thread. And am already toying with the first snapshot. 8-year-old Bali watching Obi-Wan cook for the first time.

The teaser will hit probably Friday or Saturday. I almost have the complex outline completely written and loose ends tied up. All I can tell you is there is a lot of political intrigue and a prophecy driven plot.

naw ibo? Flashbacks

There are at least three flashback series, maybe four.

I think TCP will be longer than AUP but shorter than TLTP. Beyond that we will have to wait and see what happens. Well, I will give you a hint about TCP. I promise it will have a happy ending. ;)

Thanks again.

Oh, and I love the speculations. Some of it is close and some of it?well it takes a little while to get over the laughter. 8-}

13. wanna_pierogi

wanna_pierogi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    ::turns on penlight in shadows::
    WOOHOO!! TRAILER!!!
    ::crawls off floor into chair::
    I'll just wait here.
    A happy ending....but RED....what's your definition of happy? Everyone dies???!!!

14. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Any final installment of this series that does NOT include one towering Jedi Master eating a monster serving of crow - followed by humble pie - while on his knees on a bed of nails - in a hair shirt - wearing headphones with disco music blaring at full volume - is NOT going to sit well with those of us who have absolutely no acquaintance with the quality of mercy or the milk of human kindness.

LOL!! CYN, I do believe you may just lack the mercy of human kindness even more than me where a certain towering Jedi Master Lugnut is concerned. :)

Unfortunately, and I hate to say it considering I trust the man as far as I can throw him(and considering he's 16 inches taller than me we know how far that is!), I think if there is one other person besides Bali(who really shouldn't be completely burdened with this as his age) who can help Obi-Wan get himself over those toughest hurdles, it's Qui-Gon.

I mean I think any of Obi-Wan's friends, from Bant up to Master Yoda, can and should be of help to him and I think he can get different things from each of them but I still go back to him thinking that if he had to do it all over again(on Naboo with Qui-Gon), he'd still do the same thing. Much as we may know Qui-Gon doesn't deserve the honor, that Obi-Wan still has some deep feelings for him that go beyond the deep hurt he has caused him. Or maybe that hurt is part of it.

This isn't really just for Qui-Gon, but for Obi-Wan--while I think there were preferable ways for it to happen, in the situation as it is now, I think one of the better chances for Obi-Wan to truly get past that deep hurt would be this, for Qui-Gon to finish the job he started when took Obi-Wan as his padawan.

Not because Obi-Wan is an incomplete Jedi somehow, he's earned his place of honor and respect among the order but because the relationship was cut off prematurely and didn't have the natural progression it should have, whether it was them as great friends or them growing apart with time and distance.

It's rather unfortunate that Qui-Gon would likely benefit from that scenario as well, but I guess for Obi-Wan's sake, it's worth it, so long as Qui-Gon at some point eats crow. ;) Admit he was wrong, say he's sorry and truly mean it, basically be shown(or rather to open his eyes to) what a truly strong and special person Obi-Wan is and has always been and know in his soul what he tossed away so carelessly in his quest for the greatest legacy.

I would say that Qui-Gon's best (and only) chance at redemption with Obi-Wan would be to do what he should have done the FIRST time Obi was in this condition--stay at his side and support him in his recovery.

Jedi Candy, I agree with the way you see it. And I really like the idea of Mace helping out with Bali's training. I really love RRK's Mace. She's done a great job with him.

I was having visions of Stephen King?s Misery.

That's so funny, red. :D ::naw hides hobbling board and sledgehammer::

...well it takes a little while to get over the laughter.

Oh that's just cruel, RRK, laughing at us. You know I'm the first to admit I have no fictional imagination whatsoever, but you don't need to laugh about it, it really hurts you know ::hmmph::naw takes out hobbling board and sledgehammer::

:) ;)

Lots of flashbacks. :) And I like the idea of snapshots too so I'm glad that everyone once in a while you might grace us with one.

Poor Obi-Wan, he still can't cook. LOL! One of these days I'll read a story where Obi-Wan's a gourmet cook AND the friendliest, most easy-going patient in the healer's office and drop dead right there. :D ;) Actually I love the way this sort of "fanon" thing has grown up, no one actually knows why, but somehow along the way it was decided in the collective unconscious of the Star Wars fanfic universe that Obi-Wan hated healers and couldn't cook. That's actually cool, it's myth within a myth.

15. CalaisKenobi

CalaisKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh my... I have no idea what to say. Stunning, spectacular, incredible, heartrending, tragic...

Red you have succeeded where all others have failed, you made me cry! No other book or movie has done that, but you pulled me in so deeply to the relationship between Obi-Wan and Bali that the ending just really hit me (that and I did download and read this entire story all at once... it is possible you have overloaded my emotions!)

I look forward to your next story, and will be waiting breathlessly for it to begin.

THANKS
    ~Jenn

16. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Oh RRK, I forgot something I meant to ask--can you give us a hint as to what the flashbacks series' will deal with? I'd imagine at least one will deal with the happenings of the six years between the end of this story and the beginning of the next. Will we get any that go back to that time between Obi-Wan's knighting and AUP? There were at least two missions referenced in AUP and this story that seemed to have been influential--there was the one Mace and Yoda talk about at the beginning of AUP, taking place soon after Obi-Wan's knighting, about how it was the best course of action at the time, they had little choice, he was closest, or something like that(too lazy to look it up) and then apparently there was one still early in his knight errant career after which Qui-Gon asks them to stop sending him on the dangerous missions.

Also, after Obi-Wan healed Qui-Gon, when he was younger and healthier, he was in a coma for two months, yet apparently, even though he's suffered nine years with chronic, somewhat degenerative illness caused by that event, he was able to be up and about(in quite bad shape admittedly) in a few days. Which is fine, it doesn't really need an explanation, but is there a reasoning for this? Did he not actually use that much energy(which seems unlikely considering his present state), is he so determined to not have Bali awake alone, as he himself had to, that somehow his mind overcame that part of the effect so he would be there?

17. sabercrazy

sabercrazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Oh hey now RED...I'm not forgeting about hunting you down...just delaying the inevitable. I WILL be assembling a possee. [face_devil] :D

18. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    sabercrazy: I have two border collies. Once you and the posse find RRK, we can use the dogs to herd her to a computer so she will have to post SOMETHING!

JediCandy

19. fanofewans

fanofewans Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2001
    "Wanna Pierogi: A happy ending....but RED....what's your definition of happy? Everyone dies???!!! "

My thought exactly exactly! Happy ending..yeah aha..me of little faith..we'll just see what happy ending is granted wont we red? :)

Whatever happens i've got a bad feeling that Bali will be Obi's last padawan :( Still want to see someone give Qui Gon a swift kick up the butt. And whatever you do keep him away from Bali..geez..kid has enough issues, dont need Qui screwing with his life any.

20. sabercrazy

Jun 2, 2002
    CANDY: COOL!!! So I can count you in for the warparty. I love dogs anyway. :D

Anyone else??

21. wanna_pierogi

wanna_pierogi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    ::changes battery in penlight::
    Ummmmm...OK people...question....
    "Ahem"
    In an attempt to delay, or put into remission, the withdrawl we all are, or will be, suffering, I have a suggestion/question...
    If RED would find it in her heart, or nutty mind, to this...
    I think we should make up bloopers to AUP. And maby LTP as well if we get desperite enough.
    Hear me out...we could a LOT of fun with it!
    We all know you need to make fun of what you love right? And I just KNOW we all totally love RED's writing. Am I right?
    If RED doesn't want to do it...I could...
    I mean I know I am in no way close to RED...but I have a strange mind...and a friend with an even stranger mind. :D We've already come up with a bunch...
    We could all contribute some...make it a fan group thing...
    We could do it here...or start a new thread.
    And we could still speculate and stuff there...
    I dunno...maby I should just shut up...
    Well...in any case, let me know what you think ok guys? LIKE it...HATE it...whatever.
    I can take a few flames.
    Hey TIM...can I borrow that flameproof suit, just in case?
    SABER: OOOO OOOO OOOO!!! I'M IN!! I'M IN!! COUNT ME IN!!

22. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002
    Hey Wanna, that sounds like a great idea! Count me in! (If I can think up any bloopers...) :D

23. sabercrazy

Jun 2, 2002
    PIEROGI: YEA!!! One more for the warparty! :D

Hey I think delaying withdrawl is always a good thing, in whatever form it may be. Count me in. Wherever you, or RED, or whoever, deside to do it...I'm sure I can come up with a few things... ;)

24. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    For some reason, I just thought of how Obi-Wan's blood was on the hilt of his lightsaber and how Sidious has it. [face_plain]

I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

But I have dreams... ;)

25. fanofewans

fanofewans Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2001
    >>For some reason, I just thought of how Obi-Wan's blood was on the hilt of his lightsaber and how Sidious has it. >>

::Big Cheesy Grin:::

Hmm kinda like the end result of that...more eye candy the better i say :)

::runs away:::

I knew the madness would set in when both Red is on hiatus and Cyn's writing is being held hostage by FFN.

::wanders off again muttering to oneself:::

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.