main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Buffy Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by SySnootles, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Oh c'mon. You all knew this was coming.

I have noticed both at gatherings and on the boards that we have a number of Buffy fans; both die hards and newbies (maybe even some wannabes). I thought perhaps a thread devoted to the best show ever produced on television would be in order. Or maybe not. Anyone want to start a pool as to when this thread will be locked?

First order of business --
    Cally and I were discussing having some sort of TV night (similar to movie night) showing select episodes of the show. Maybe even turn it into a semi-regular thing (akin to the Book Club). We could have theme nights. Xander night, Willow night, funny eps, eps that make you cry, annoying Dawn eps, etc... You get the picture. And since I picked up an X-Box, maybe even a Buffy video game night. Would anyone be interested?

I do realize this is a Star Wars themed board, but I sometimes feel things get lost in the general social thread that maybe deserve a little more attention. Again, this is just a thought.

2. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I'm so in for this.

Jeff

3. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I don't know how many "show" nights I'd be able to make, but I think it would be way cool (until the mods lock us out) to have a place to discuss Buffy. :) I'm all for this thread!

4. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    [image=http://www.aber.ac.uk/publications/brochures/tfts/images/buffy.jpg]

BUFFY = HOT

i may have to start hanging around the forums again.

-mike

5. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Convert me..enlighten me to the way of the Buffy. I want to learn!

M

PS- And it's not because whatever her name is, is alledgedly hot. I said I'd go to church, I never said I'd pray.

6. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    I think I could even get Maureen to participate in this--I hope you realize what you're stirring up, young lady.

Jason

7. tello999

tello999 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I love Buffy too. Been watching it for many years, but I missed the first season and part of the second though... gotta get those DVD sets sometime :)

I'd love a Buffy thread, but I don't think I'd be up for a T.V. night, since I'm in Kenosha and all...

8. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    I'm very happy to see such a warm response. And some surprising eager participants. Bishop76 and Idaara -- who knew? ;)

tello999, the TV night is just a fun thought. It's not as though it would be required attendance or anything like that. If you would be able to make it -- great. If not, we'd miss you, but definitely fill you in. And regarding Seasons 1 and 2, I have both sets on DVD if you are interested in watching them. Share the Buffy - that's my motto. The more people I have to discuss this amazing show with, the better.

cruz!! Where've you been? So it's taken a nubile warrior to get you back onto the boards. Ah, to be young again. And from what I hear, Buffy is rather hot. And so is Willow. I'll have to try watching some of the old eps from a guy's point of view. Then again ...

Bwing -- have I mentioned how lovely your wife is? Quite the smart lass. And I did think long and hard about this, and I am willing to accept the consequences. I am a Star Wars fan to the core, through and through. No question about that. But I am also a die-hard Buffy fan, and Buffy is a weekly fix. Not one every three years. So I do tend to be a little more passionate about it at times. But everyone is welcome, whether they post or not. The more, the merrier.

TheWampas!! Or should I call you the Count. I kinda like the new icon. Even if it did hijack your old one. Anyhoo -- We will mold you to the ways of Whedon. Welcome to the group devoted to clever writing and gut-wrenching story lines and incredibly fleshed-out characters. And I must warn you -- once you've become acclimatized to the Buffyverse, almost every other show on TV will seem hackneyed and lame. The writing (as you've experienced in Firefly) is better than any other network show (and UPN does count as a network, darnit!) and each week seems like a little cinematic feature. No matter how serious the basic plot of that particular show, there are always gut-busting laughs to be seen. In some strange way, it makes my life more tolerable. Whoops! Almost got let off on a tangent there.

All are welcome to this thread. I wouldn't even mind a little Point/Counterpoint debating about the show. I know the show has been selected as the worst show on television by a conservative Christian family values group, and am interested in hearing about this point of view. It is obvious the people who branded the show as such have not watched more than an episode or two, but I would like to hear another side.

And thanks to all who are interested. Any and all ideas are welcome.

9. MiladyJ

MiladyJ Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2002
    I would definately drive in from Madison for anything Buffy, I have a serious addiction for the Buffyverse. I have been watching since season 2 and I have both the DVDs and seasons 4 thru present if anyone needs to borrow them. I also collect the trading cards, anyone want to trade? For the record I think a Xander night is one of the greatest ideas of all time!

10. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    If you can promise me lots of Alyson Hannigan, I'm in! :D

11. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Ditto--Willow is hot. And I know Tom agrees with me on that one. As far as Christian family values go, maybe they're right--we shouldn't watch Buffy and instead go to . . . .church.

Jason

12. A_New_HopeLily

A_New_HopeLily Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    :) (best homer impression) mmmm... Church....gagagagaga

13. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I was wondering when a Buffy thread would appear. I am totally in on this one. Movie/television nights-great. I have a request if it is possible to alternate between Buffy and Angel since they are on different nights so that it may help those who cannot come on a Tuesday night to go on a Sunday instead. Anyway, I am really hyped up on this one. :D

14. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Honestly because of my icky work schedule it isn't possible for me to host or attend a gathering on any day other than Friday night or Saturday. Maybe Sunday afternoon, so that's about it. I didn't mean a gathering to watch the new shows on the days they run. Truthfully I'm all for that! But I wouldn't be able to participate. What I'm suggesting is a gathering where we watch an episode or two (or three, or four) of an older episode with a discussion afterwords. I have all six seasons on tape (with seasons one and two on DVD) and would be more than happy to volunteer my collection for someone's viewing pleasure. (Speaking of which, hey Jeff, have you hit Doppelgangland yet?)

I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to start with the basic plot of the show. I don't have the time to post it right now (I have to get a little sleep today), but I want to make sure everyone knows how different the television show is from the movie of the same name. They are worlds apart, in tone, quality of writing, acting, casting, and enjoyability. The TV show being on the top part of that equation, of course.

So until I get a little nap, adieu!

15. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    Sounds cool all around

16. Jedi_Master_Mom

Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    I'm also addicted to Buffy! One of my many obsessions!!(if our baby girl was a boy his name would be Zander instead of Piper) Never can make any gatherings though :(

Spike is HOT!!!!!

17. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    And now they come out of the woodwork. :)
    Hey Jedi_Master_Mom, maybe someone will start a Charmed thread.

Okay. Basic plot overview. I'll try to be concise (although those of you who've seen my posts know I'm not very good with the brevity).

Buffy Summers is a Chosen One. She is one in a long line of Vampire Slayers who have walked the earth since the beginning of man. The Powers That Be destines one young woman to be a Champion to fight the evil in the world (basic demons as well as vampires). When one Slayer dies, another is called. So generally there's only one per generation. Their identity and "job" are to be kept a secret, as to protect innocents and loved ones. The Slayer is trained and guided by a Watcher, who is part of the Watcher's Council, headquarted in England. They have lots of information (demon databases and such) which help the Slayer in her fight for good.

That's the bare bones of Slayerdom. More specifically, Buffy Summers came to Sunnydale, California from L.A. when she was 15. She was "called" when she was in L.A. and ended up burning down her highschool gymnasium which was full of vampires at the time (this is one of the very few references to the movie). Her parents divorced and she moved with her mother to this smallish town which is located directly over the Hellmouth. The Hellmouth is a porthole of sorts to evil dimensions. Sort of a Mecca for demons. This really wasn't a coincidence, although no one knew that at the time, except for the Watcher's Council. Buffy thought moving to a new town would let her start a new life, free of Slayer duties. But on her first day she met Giles, her new watcher, masquerading as the school librarian. She also befriended Willow (a loveable computer nerd) and Xander (a regular under-achieving dude) who accidentally found out about her "identity."
    They became close friends and collectively call themselves "The Scooby Gang". Willow and Xander and Giles help Buffy any way they can.

That was the bare bonesiest I could get with the basic plot. The more experienced Buffyfans will note that there was no mention of Cordelia, Jessie, Angel, Tara, etc... We'll get to them later. I just wanted to give the most basic backround I could.

That's it for the basic plot overview. I didn't want to get into anything more specific as not to reveal any spoilers.
    But if anyone has anything to add, please feel free to do so. Buffy is many things to many people.

Next post I'll be discussing the coolness of the tone and ideas of the show.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask.
    Class dismissed.

18. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    [Applause] Kudos for boiling Buffy down to a couple of paragraphs. That was excellent. [/Applause]

19. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Why thank you very much. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I should try that brevity thing more often. Update later today (hopefully).

20. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Some news - Joss says it's the last season, SMG says it may not be, so who the hell knows where the show is going after this season. Also, Buffy the Animated Series is dead before it got started. Turns out no one wanted it. Too bad, really.

That is all.

Jeff

21. SkyJammer

SkyJammer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    That's odd. Last I heard, it was the exact opposite -- SMG wanted it to be the last season, but Joss didn't and perhaps would be prepping Michelle/Dawn to take over.

Either way, BtVS may be done in by a force far, far greater than that of a vampire, more evil than even the Master:

The Nielsen Ratings.

Apparently, Gilmore Girls is trouncing Buffy in the ratings, which has lost a lot of viewers this season.

The Nielsens -- fear them.

-SJ/Who'd be up for a Buffy night if he weren't so darn busy. I still have half of the Season 1 DVD set to watch, and I haven't picked up S2. Thankfully, I'm forced to watch each new ep, so I'm not behind on S7.

22. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Yeah, up until today I was with you on the whole SMG wanted out and Joss wanted to go on, but now it looks like nobody's certain. For the articles I saw this info in, go to www.whedonesque.com. Good site, BTW. Buffy, Angel, and Firefly stuff.

Jeff

23. LauedGiind

Sep 4, 2002
    I also thought SMG wanted to stop doing Buffy. Oh, who in the world would want to watch the "Gilmore Girls" over Buffy? Buffy is just way more exciting.
    Anyway, I just want Buffy and Angel to get back together. How is it going to happen when they have two different shows?

24. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    I'm definitely with you on that one LG. I know a couple of Gilmore Girl fans, so I get to hear a bit about the show. It sounds nice, but a little to nice for my tastes. I like my moral and life lessons with some bite! (Pun intended)

Although I would be rolling in puppies if it were, I highly doubt there will be an eighth season. Everyone but SMG and Emma Caulfield has signed on, but as SkyJammer said, BtVS is getting killed in the Nielsons. Morons!

My bedroom windows face a house where the couple who live there are perpetually fighting, usually outside. So I didn't get much sleep. I'll be posting more plot points and analysis of the show a little later. But here's something to think about --

Buffy night (or afternoon). Generally, when would be a better time for those interested in attending a little "marathon" session in Shorewood? An episode or three. Saturdays? Sunday afternoons? Friday nights? Those are the only times that really work for me. We'll try to work something out for all who want to attend. Well, I'll have to put a twelve person limit on the gathering, size constraints and all. And we should also try working on an episode schedule. I was thinking for the newbies' sake, we'd start with select episodes from season one. The only for sure one (in my opinion) would be Prophecy Girl. Of course we should see Welcome to the Hellmouth and The Harvest, but are there any other must sees? All opinions are welcome.

So, who'll get the ball rolling?

25. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    We'd be for it. Let us know when and where, Friday/Saturday/Sunday's work for us. Sounds like it would be most fun.

M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.