main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Clone Army numbers...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Dmasterman, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainGiladPellaeon

CaptainGiladPellaeon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2009
    Mace's task force of Jedi sent to Geonosis is 200 strong. In deleted dialogue from the Episode II screenplay, Mace tells Dooku he'd wager one Jedi against a hundred Geonosians, and Dooku responds that he doesn't care about the Geonosians. He asks Mace what he'd wager on one Jedi against 1,000 battle droids.

200 X 1,000 = 200,000.

So assuming that 200,000 units means 200,000 clones, and assuming Dooku's battlefield bluster is mathematically precise, the clone army sent from Kamino and the droid army on Geonosis are evenly matched. Normally, I'm the first one not to assume that off hand comments from characters should be taken so literally, but in this case, it seems like more than a coincidence that the math adds up right. I think Lucas was purposefully imagining/presenting an opening clash of about 200,000 vs. 200,000, with the Republic having the advantage of Jedi and the advantage that clones are more capable than droids. That Lucas would be both so precise and so unrealistic in his numbers . . . well, this is the same movie in which we learn that Geonosis is less than a parsec away from Tattooine!? Believable numbers aren't this movie's strong point.

If we're going to consider sources outside the movie, I always wished more had been written in Clone-Wars-era fiction about Spaarti cloning. There is a good short story by Timothy Zahn on this subject called "Hero of Cartao."

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Actually, EU cites the clones were outnumbered by about 5 to 1 odds; 1 million droids to 200,000 clones. They won because the Sep leadership had no leadership capability and the clones basically plain outmaneuvered the droid army.

3. CaptainGiladPellaeon

CaptainGiladPellaeon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2009
    I don't think there's anything in the movie, itself, to support those EU numbers--though next time I watch it, I'm sure I'll have this thread in mind and pay attention to whether there are any scenes where the clones look outnumbered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.