main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Color Challenge Response Thread - Post viggies here!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bobilll, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    So I was thinking about Krzystof Kieslowski's french trilogy, and thought of a challenge involving colors. A commonly used image, colors can represent all sorts of images and motifs that words are sometimes too awkward to show.

The rules are here

~*~*~*~

I shall post my own in this same post

Disclaimers: Still don't own Star Wars.

Red

A layer of soft, sanguine light filters through the shutters, welcoming the inhabitants to the daylight. The child inside, however, is not asleep. Clad in a ruffled pink nightgown that was frayed from wear, she stands by the window. One hand lies atop a rusty bureau, the other inside her mouth, between teeth that chew viciously.

?Padmé! Padmé, it is time!?

The girl turns, quickly lowering her hands to her sides so that the only trace of her unseemly habit laid in a soft speck of blood on her pinky. The door opens, and an elderly woman stepped inside, her burgundy skirts swishing softly. She tisks at her daughter?s slothfulness, and guides her to the vanity. She smiles. ?Today, my baby girl is no longer a child,? she says proudly, working through her daughter?s chestnut curls. ?You will rise high above the mountains, over the clouds, and soon we will be mere specks in your arena.?

The girl does not smile. She cannot bear the joke. ?My heart is yours, Mama,? she murmurs.

?Your love belongs to Naboo now, dearest.? The mother no longer smiles either, and looks at her daughter?s reflection sadly. She turns her girl around and kisses her face, leaving a faint mark of lip paint on her cheek. ?You are the people?s person.?

The girl grabs her heart, but she cannot hold it. Her mother is right, and she is afraid.

Soft thudding sounds come from downstairs, and a male voice floats through the doorway. ?Come, Padmé! This day shall not wait!?

The girl nods. She rises, her eyes downcast and brow furrowed. Her mother smiles warmly, but the girl does not notice. Fists clenched, she makes her way out of her burrow. The sanguine light dances against her retreating shadow.

~*~*~*~

The granddaughter is delivered to the palace footsteps in a ceremonial carriage?a device painstakingly slow, yet breathtakingly beautiful. She folds her hands on her lap, and does not look up. Her eyes are bloodshot.

?Do not be anxious, Granddaughter, for your destiny will carry you to safety.?

Her soft eyes dance up, and she smiles weakly. ?Today is the beginning of an odyssey,? she murmurs.

Grandmother smiles, placing a hand on the small, frail hands. ?The odyssey began years ago, with your conception, child. This is merely a chapter in the epic that has already begun.?

The granddaughter nods, but does not understand. She thinks not of the past nor future, but can only brood on now. She fingers the pale red ribbons at the end of her braids, and slowly pulls them off.

?Keep these for me, Winama,? she whispers. ?Keep my childhood for me.?

The woman nods, but frowns, her scarlet nails scraping against the satin. ?It will not wait for you when you return,? she warns.

The child cannot understand. She yet knows nothing of growing up.

The carriage stops, and the automated door opens. The granddaughter breathes deeply, and pulls the hood of her magenta cloak over her head. She steps out if the tiny carriage and leaves the one who holds her youth.

She does not look back.

~*~*~*~

The princess closes her eyes and leans against the velvet chair. Any worrying creases on her forehead has long been rubbed away. The soft music of excited chatter sings in her ears. She listens, silent. Her handmaidens are filled with adrenaline, their faces flushed with excitement.

The princess is pale as a ghost.

Her fingers play with the edges of a luxurious robe that somehow found its way to her body, and she learns the intricacies of the thick clothe that would become her new burrow. Her eyes are closed, but in her head, she can see.

Red.

Red is for High Royalty, so Amidala

2. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Oh wow, this was an amazing piece. I really enjoyed your use of the color red to describe all those important moments in Padme's life. Your descriptions are very rich and enjoyed this immensely. Great job!

3. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    Thanks, JediMasterRev! Hehe, I just checked out Monica Kullings' Queen in Disguise, and I liked the pictures so much I couldn't resist!

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Excellent job!

5. dtdang2

dtdang2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    This a completely beautiful work of art! I loved it. Your writing and imagery are wonderful!
    =D= =D= =D=

6. Aiden_Sanic

Aiden_Sanic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2005
    Mr. Bobill That was great! I loved your decription of red and Padme...

But with all respect...

You ain't seen nothing yet. [face_devil]

Title: Clear
    Author: Aiden Sanic
    Timeframe: A month before Episode III
    Genre: Personal Reflections
    Charatcers: Chancellor Palpatine
    Summary: Chancellor Palpatine goes through his private thoughts a month before carrying out his final plan.

Notes: This is a response to the COLOR challenge, in which one must chose any color and write a fic about it.

Hope you like it everyone

From the logs of Chancellor Palpatine: Year 13, Month 3, Day 22

The thing about colors, is that they attract attention. The shinning golds, and silvers gleam in the sunlight and cause heads to turn so predictibly. And the dark blacks and greys stick out like the tallest of Courascants skyscrapers. Foolish choices for anyone; the vermin who walk the streets, or the grand geniuses who walk upon the galaxy. These flashing colors are for those who crave attention with an animal like obsession I look down upon so disgustingly. A true politician must know the grand, legendary art of concealment. The beautiful art of stealth.

The color... that is no color at all....

After all, a politician must know how to conceal his motives to those who oppose his views. Even the lowliest of sabbac players know this and conceal their emotions with the charming invisibility known as clearness. No one can see you, nor hear you, or even feel you. For you are not there, you have no personality, no sense of being. You are nothing.

You, are nothing.

And the universe... is full of that...

By being clear and nothing, you are the space between pages of a book. You are the little nook within the keyhole of a door. You are in every single place that solid matter isnt.

You are even in the very air you breathe.

You are the very depths of space. No one can see you, hear you, feel you.

They don't know what you look like, or what you do everyday of your life, or what your motives are.

You are stealth itself. By being nothing... by being clear.... you are enclosed around every last being in the world...

In the galaxy...

In the universe...

You are almost in every single place there is. For not everything is whole, and where is space, their is nothing. There is only clear, and invisibility.

And by being invisible, no one can ever know what you are doing. You can plan any thing you want, you can do anything you wish to do. Know matter how wrong it may be, or how insane it might seem...

No one, can tell you no.

Because you are there, but your not.

You are clear, you are completley unseen to any sort of eye.

You, are nothing.

You are the largest thing in the universe, for space is after all,nothing really.

And the best things about that is, no one knows.

No one ever thinks about nothing, their minds are forever occupied on something. Whether trivial or worthwhile, no being can ever think of nothing. No one can make his mind... clear.... of any thoughts what so ever.

They give the nothing free rein to do anything it wishes to do...

And nothing can stop it...

No one can do anything about it....

Until, the nothing... becomes something...

The clear... becomes color....

The thought.... becomes the action....

And those who never payed any attention to the nothingness... the color of clear. Those who kept their primative minds on the flashing bright and dark colors of the world...

They find out... all too late...

All too soon...

All...too.....easy....

Dantius Palpatine

***********************************************************************************

Chancellor Palpatine brought his head up from his private memoirs and looked around. There was no one around his office at all. He wouldn't have any meetings with anyone today, and had the office to himself today. He slid his writing tablet u

7. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    My first fanfic ever to be posted on these boards, but I couldn't help it. I read the rules and the bunny just bit me, really, really hard. So here's my contribution; hope you all enjoy!
    ~SQ

Title: Blue
    Author: Stormqueen
    Timeframe: Sometime after ROTS (contains some spoilers)
    Genre: Personal Reflections
    Characters: Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader, memories of Padme and Obi-Wan
    Summary: Vader reflects on blue.
    Notes: This is a response to the COLOR challenge, in which one must chose any color and write a story about it.

Anakin Skywalker had loved blue.

Blue was the color of the sky, and it was almost always the same, gorgeous shade. Excepting planets with abnormal atmospheres, it sparkled with its own light, blanketing the world below with a cheerful, azure warmth. No matter how many clouds attempted to mar its pristine surface, the bright color would burst forth, hinting at the beauty hidden behind the curtain of white.

He had stared up at it for hours as a child, dreaming of the mysteries it held, of the promises of a different life beyond Watto?s junk shop. Even when it darkened to a deep midnight, with stars studding its surface like brilliant diamonds, he would gaze heavenwards, knowing in the depths of his heart that one day he would be free.

Blue had been the color of the skies above Naboo.

He had stared upwards as he had lain in the grass of the lake country, Padmé nestled by his side, and as the sky stretched around him, he had never felt happier. He had basked in the sapphire expanse, letting his mind drift aimlessly, and he had never wanted to come back to himself, to come back to the world where he had to be parted from those he loved.

His eyes, Padmé had told him, were the exact same shade as the sky above her home planet. The next time he?d found himself in front of a mirror, he?d stared at his reflection, peering into the irises of his eyes, trying to validate her claims. To his general shock, as he?d never really studied the color of his gaze before, he?d found that she was right; his eyes shone with the same blue that covered Naboo.

?I?ll always have a piece of Naboo to take with me, then,? he said when he was inevitably caught, watching as a stunning smile rose to Padmé?s lips.

?Just like I have my necklace to remind me of you,? she whispered, snuggling into his embrace.

Blue had been the color of his lightsaber.

No matter how many he lost, destroyed, or otherwise ruined to the infinite displeasure of Obi-Wan, the blade would remain a crystal-clear blue. He?d tried to pick a crystal that would make it green for once, just for a little variety, but it seemed his soul was destined to be attuned to those that imparted the blade with an azure hue.

Blue, it seemed, had been his color, despite the black he wore.

It had represented so much to him, and it had come to symbolize freedom, along with the new life he had started as a Jedi. It was the color of the skies he escaped into when hurrying off a planet, either coming or going on a mission. It had decorated the racer he?d piloted, the one that had won him his release from slavery.

But he was not Anakin Skywalker.

He was Darth Vader, heir to the Galactic Empire, and Dark Lord of the Sith. He answered to no one, save his Master, the Emperor, and he hated blue with every shred of his being.

Because blue was Anakin Skywalker, with his eyes and his lightsabers. Vader?s eyes were hidden by his mask, shrouded in darkness, never to be seen, and his lightsaber was blood red. He had poured his hatred into making the weapon, just as he did with every action he took, and he couldn?t help the thrill of pride when the blade burned a deep, fiery ruby.

Blue was a color Anakin had associated with Obi-Wan as well, with his misty eyes that shone with the perpetual calm that had engulfed the man. Anakin had longed to see his Master?s eyes bright with praise and laughter, the cerulean depths losing their cool quality and shimmering warmly. The expression had never failed in buoying Anakin?s flagging sp

8. Aiden_Sanic

Jun 25, 2005
    Stormqueen, this was a great piece of work for a first fan-fic. Bravo! =D=

I liked how you switched Anakin's Point of View from Blue to Red in this story.

One line that really got me was:

It had fueled Vader; it still fueled Vader. Anakin hadn?t betrayed Obi-Wan. He never would have betrayed Obi-Wan. By drawing his lightsaber first, the Jedi had struck the first and possibly final blow on Anakin?s weakening soul, letting Vader?s anger permeate his being and give him the strength he needed to face his former mentor.

Ha ha, Anakin still Obi-Wan for the things Anakin had done. Just shows you that you can't take the whinner away from the jedi...or the sith. :p

Great Job!

9. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    Thanks, dtdang and FelsGoddess!

Aiden

Mr. Bobill That was great!

You meant Miss, right? LOL, though it's nice to thik of myself as manly...

I was a bit confused at first, but I gotta say, your choice is really creative! The color... that is no color at all.... So Palpy-like!

Blind... to the very murderer that plots your destruction, jedi.....

Yep, I can definently see why Palpy is Clear, now... no one can see him, even if they stare right at him. Wonderful job!

stormqueen

My first fanfic ever to be posted on these boards, but I couldn't help it. I read the rules and the bunny just bit me, really, really hard.

I'm so honored!

I always wondered what color people would choose for Anakin. Vader, I can see, total blackness... But now that you point it out, blue really does seem to suit Anakin. Wow, you really found a lot of cool examples! The podracer and the lightsaber fit him so well, yet I definently never would have thought if it! And also love the intro of Black and Red as contrast... all such strong colors, yet all so different from each other!

Vader hated Obi-Wan, just as much as he hated blue. He didn?t care if it was the color of skies, the color of escape, or the color of serenity. Vader had been born from red-orange flames, ones that had seared his flesh to black, and he would never forget the lesson he had learned through Anakin Skywalker?s death.

Ouch! Yep, definently a great Ani/Vader transition peice!

10. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    I liked how you switched Anakin's Point of View from Blue to Red in this story.
    (())
    Ouch! Yep, definently a great Ani/Vader transition peice!

:D Thanks so much! It's always a little nerve-wracking, esp. when I've never written fanfiction for SW before, so I'm paranoid about not getting everything just right. That little viggie I wrote in about half an hour (it takes me a long, long time to write anything, really, I'd probably get in about a paragraph if I only had ten minutes) and I didn't have any one beta it before hand, so I was even more nervous. My thoughts: Please don't let anyone flame me if I get something wrong... [face_praying]

The red, btw, was completely unintentional. I started only with blue and didn't mean to have the contrast until the very end, but isn't that the best part of writing?

Anyhoo, glad you enjoyed it!
    Stormqueen

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    bobilll- Beautiful use of words and color. I understand the challenge totally now. I've not been terribly fond of red, but you give me a different outlook on it. :)

Aiden_Sanic - Oooh, very interesting take on colors. I show Palpatine's name and automatically epected black. I love being surprised! Excellent.

May I ask a favor? Would you edit your post and remove some of the *** so readers don't have to scroll back and forth to read. Thanks. :D

stormqueen874 - A first fanfic ever? No way!! That was wonderful. Loved to see the transformation in color and how his love for one turned to hate. Very well done.

12. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    Wak, no! Should've added something about how this is the first one I've really dubbed completed for Star Wars. I've written lots of other stuff, really! I'm sorry I gave everyone the wrong impression... [face_worried](bows and scrapes for forgiveness)

But I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm rather pleased with how it came out, all things considered, and it makes me happy to see that others enjoyed it as well!

Stormqueen

13. Eirate_rules

Eirate_rules Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    stormqueen874: :eek:

I...I...WOW
    That was...WOW
    I...I don't know what to say...I'm speechless it...WOW

He was Darth Vader, heir to the Galactic Empire, and Dark Lord of the Sith. He answered to no one, save his Master, the Emperor, and he hated blue with every shred of his being.

Because blue was Anakin Skywalker, with his eyes and his lightsabers. Vader?s eyes were hidden by his mask, shrouded in darkness, never to be seen, and his lightsaber was blood red. He had poured his hatred into making the weapon, just as he did with every action he took, and he couldn?t help the thrill of pride when the blade burned a deep, fiery ruby.

WOW...

14. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Stormqueen - :eek: Your fic was amazing! You really captured Vader's thoughts and feelings. I'll never think of blue in the same way again. ;)

This part was especially powerful to me:

Vader hated Obi-Wan, just as much as he hated blue. He didn?t care if it was the color of skies, the color of escape, or the color of serenity. Vader had been born from red-orange flames, ones that had seared his flesh to black, and he would never forget the lesson he had learned through Anakin Skywalker?s death.

Blue was the color of weakness. Red was the color of strength.

And he, Lord Darth Vader, had purged all weakness from himself.

The image of Vader being "born from red-orange flames" was a good way to show that Vader had left Anakin, and Anakin's love of all things blue and pure, behind.

=D= Let me know when you post more stories on the boards!

15. Eirate_rules

Jul 22, 2005
    stormqueen:

Sorry about my earlier speechliness.
    You should know your master always has something to say other than WOW.

So:
    =D=
    Stormqueen, I'm so proud of you!!
    You've absolutly blown your master away.
    I look forward to see if you'll have a fic up on this board.

*turns to rabe_rocks*
    *falls into roomy's arms crying*
    :_| They grow up so fast!!! :_|

*detaches herself from rabe*
    *mutters*
    I must tell my boyfriend about this interesting development in my padawan's career.

16. rabe_rocks

rabe_rocks Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    what boyfriend?:eek: [face_thinking] hmmm. you're hiding things from me! my own roomy!(oh and stormqueen, what? 1st one? you are a goddess!@};- a rose for u!)

17. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

bobilll - Wow, excellent piece on Padme. And such a great, defining moment for her.
    Red is the blood I willingly give.
    I love this line. Very evocative.

Aiden_Sanic - Brilliant insight into Palpatine! I love the mood and the All....too....easy...
    Looking back, it was, wasn't it?

stormqueen874 - I love the ruminations by Anakin and Vader, and how they differ on the colour blue.
    Blue was the color of weakness. Red was the color of strength. And he, Lord Darth Vader, had purged all weakness from himself
    =D=

18. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    *Massive hugs to my wonderful Master (and reviewer), Eirate_rules and my wonderful reviewers, rabe_rocks, JadeLotus, and Nienna_Narmolanya*

Thank you so much! I love getting feedback on my stories; I'm giggling like a madwoman as I read reviews. They really make my day!

Everyone seems to find the ending the most powerful, and I'm glad, because it gave me chills as I wrote it. I love finding the right note to end on, and I actually planned this fic around the first sentence (which popped into my head the moment I read the challenge rules), and the last sentence, which was originally going to be, "But he was not Anakin Skywalker." But when I got there, I felt I just had to keep writing, to show his transformation.

Well, hopefully I haven't bored you all with the technicalities of writing, eh? And Nienna_Narmolanya, I'd be more than happy to PM you when I write something new. I've got lots of ideas floating in the back of my head, along with a big monster epic that's tentatively finished; I've just got to run it by my beta first. Hopefully I'll be able to get the first part up soon...

Hugs again to everyone! [:D]

Stormqueen

19. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    Yay for inter-dorm networking! I have internet! Anyways...

Thanks, Leona! Might I intice you to try your hand as well? :)

Thanks, Jade_Locus! hehe, I agonized over that line for a while... glad like it!

So now we've covered red, blue, clear, and grey over in before... wonder if I can entice a green? anyone? [face_devil]

20. Eirate_rules

Jul 22, 2005
    OOOO!!! ME ME ME!!!
    I'll do green!!!

Title:Green
    Padme Viggie
    Timeframe: AU/RotS

Green

Padme had always adored the color green.
    Why? Because green sent her home.

Green was the color of the feilds where Shaaks roamed free.
    Green was the color of emeralds, which was what Naboo looked like from Space.

But as she crouched down in the Senatorial corridor, Padme cursed herself for loving green so much that she wore it today, at the meeting Sidious sceduleld.
    Why? Because green was just too noticible.

Even this dark green. Try as she might, Padme just couldn't blend in with the shadows.
    But there was another reason Padme now hated her once favorie color.
    It was now the color of Anakin's, no. Not Anakin. Darth Vader. Darth Vader's lightsaber.
    Unable to get a red one, and his blue one in the possesion of Obi-Wan, Vader had made a green lightsaber.

And that once noble, once beautiful color, was now ugly, and filthy.

For that color was being used to slaughter her fellow senators, and best friends.

And if Pame didn't get out of here, and soon, her former favorite color would be used by her former husband to snuff out her life.

It was safe to say that Padme did not like green. Anymore than she loved Darth Vader.

21. Aiden_Sanic

Jun 25, 2005
    Hey someone did Green. Hooray! [face_dancing]

Great job Eirate_rules! [face_peace] Excuse me for being ignorant, but when did Vader get a Green Lightsaber? :confused: [face_thinking]

22. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    Yay, greenness! Love the whole plantlife thing... definently something PAdme would associate with green! Hehe, love the way colors can be manipulated... as the color of life or death. Great job!

23. stormqueen874

Aug 7, 2005
    Green was the color of the feilds where Shaaks roamed free.
    Green was the color of emeralds, which was what Naboo looked like from Space

Perfect imagery! The ending was really different too, with Anakin, pardon me, Darth Vader, killing her with a green lightsaber. He probably wasn't too happy with not being able to have a red one, eh?

Good job!
    Stormqueen

24. Eirate_rules

Jul 22, 2005
    Aiden- He didn't. That was just my muse talking.

25. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Bobill: Fantastic use of the colour red! Loved the layers-
    the red from biting her pinky out of nervousness before becoming Queen, the red from her ribbon signifying the loss of childhood, the red from her becoming Queen and donning the robes, the red from her scar of rememberance thus her pledge to the people... great stuff! =D=

Aiden Sanic: That was very creepy, and very appropriate for Darth Sidious!
    the colour that is no colour at all..
    You are stealth itself. By being nothing... by being clear.... you are enclosed around every last being in the world... very creepy...
    but wonderful! =D=

Stormqueen: You're kidding right? First fan fic? :eek: Well, please get to work soon, I want more stories from you! :D This was very tragic, and I liked how I didn't see the ending coming..
    I like how you mentioned all the things Anakin associated with blue, including his mentor's eyes,
    and how Darth Vader absolutely hated the colour now because of it.
    The ending was very hollow and sad.. fantastic! =D=

Eirate_rules: This was very good! Loved the imagery.. but it's very sad, how Padme realises she hates a colour she used to love because of Anakin..and the idea of Anakin having a green saber before getting his red one is very interesting, especially when you think of stormqueens fic and how he must have hated blue.. wonderful! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.