main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC The Dag House

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Dags, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Ya know what? For no reason whatsoever, and seeing that VicFF is really in its death throes. I thought I'd post a little topic just to keep the candlelight of the forum burning for a tish bit longer.

Now acknowledging that things have gotten pretty quiet around here of late, I accept that I may become the only poster in the House, but that's OK as I have plenty of ways to entertain myself. :)

What I might to then is resurrect(sp?) a column I used to write for Frontier Magazine called Comm Station. In that section I would note down all the sci-fi references I would see in my everyday life where you least expect it. Now considering this is a SW forum I'll just focus on SW only - and contributions are most welcome.

So to kick things off, how's this for an example of tragic. I found out a couple of days ago that a friend of a friend has two siamese cats. Wanna guess their names? Jar Jar and Binks. Can you believe it? Do you think those cats spend their lives in hiding. Imagine trying to call them in at night time for dinner how embarrasing would that be?

Secondly, does anyone know if Jedi Finance are still in operation? Be funny if they've gone under as that would be like Order 66 in their eyes.

I found out on the weekend that LordVaderFF got to see the Science of SW at the Powerhouse in Sydney. I'm looking around for the report on it <shuffling papers, opening drawers .... nup doesn't seem to be here :)

2. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Those poor cats :p

3. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    You should put booze in the cat kibble.
    It would be kinder and gentler.

*hic*

4. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    STAR WARS - WHERE SCIENCE MEETS IMAGAINATION.

(YAWN) I-)

No...seriously.....it's well worth a look.

Not a big as the Magic of the Myth exhibit, but still with some very interesting pieces in the display.
    Notable, 2-1B and FX-7, a couple of droids that I haven't seen before in any display, also, two of the Wookies from Ep3 as well as a great display of Wookie weapons.

The Exhibit at the Power House is on two levels which lessens the impact of the experience if you ask me.
    You finish on the first level, go through a gift shop, down the stairs, through another gift shop, then you enter the second phases, kinda looses the impact by that point.

You can see the original model of the Falcon, the Landspeeder, Star Destroyer, X-Wing, R2, 3PO, Yoda, Chewie, AT-ATs, AT-STs, and heaps of other very cool stuff.

My wife kept on commenting "It's kinda like walking around upstairs at our place" which I found very ammusing.

In short, don't RUSH up to Sydney to see the display, wait till it comes to Melbourne where I'm sure the good people at Science Works will do a super fantastic job of setting the whole thing up on one level.

5. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    But what about the COLLECTABLES!!! A gift shop has always gotta have some funky stuff for collectors to waste ... err spend their money on :)

In regards to the cats, yeah that's pretty tragic huh?

6. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    R2-D2 USB hub - Cool
    R2-D2 Projector Alarm clock - Cool
    Darth Vader Wall Clock - VERY Cool

7. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Hmmmm a projector alarm? So you set it to wake you up in the morning but because it's just a flashing light and not a sound ... well you get where I'm coming from.

Sounds like there was some groovy stuff on offer, so well done there.

I noticed there are some pretty groovy new belt buckles on offer these days. Featured are a top looking Imperial logo and a <cough> Rebel one. Keep ya peepers open on eBay for those.

Another interesting thing up for grabs is a miniature die cast Skywalker Ranch fire engine (for those who don't know The Ranch has its own version of the CFA). It must be something they only sell at the Ranch itself and I've gotta say it looks pretty groovy. The only problem is that it's hitting the AU$200 mark based on the auction prices going on at the moment. The also have a Skywalker Ranch fire brigade patch for sale but DON'T PANIC as I already have one. :)

I also noticed that some enterprising dude has started making 1138 shirts (that's shirts with 1138 written on them as opposed to one thousand one hundred and thirty eight units :) ) so it'll be interesting to see if anybody grabs one of them.

8. Qui-GonSteve

Qui-GonSteve Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2008
    heh heh heh
    I went to dominos one night and the next person on the order screen ..ORDER 66
    HI DUDE.

9. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    You play dominos? The real game of matching up numbers right, not the setup/knock 'em down type? Impressive.

So if you're in a big family bistro where they call out the meal orders to be picked up, if someone calls out "ORDER 66 your meal is ready" does that mean a whole lotta people start to panic as others start to plug 'em? :)

10. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Keep your peepers open for eps 8 and 9 of TCW, they're a real winner. In fact as it stands the whole show has been pretty good. For anyone who had doubts about whether it's worth watching, fear not your concerns can rest.

Even the episode with Jar Jar was quite enjoyable as I found that his clumsyiness was acceptable and not too over the top.

As a mate of mine pointed out last night, what makes the show good is that it's not always just focused on Obi-Wan, Yoda, et all. So if they keep up the quality then TCW will keep kicking some big goals.

On top of this, the show is just really pretty with some fantastic colour schemes. If you haven't seen it yet, wait until the ep set on Rodia.

11. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    I really like the new animated series too, original stories ideas and it really feels like star wars. I really liked the pictures of your collection-its huge-i had a star wars room years ago but when the kids came I sold almost all of it because I lost the room (for the best possible reason though).

12. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    I appreciate the compliment about the SW Collection room but that's not mine, it belongs to LordVaderFF - we have the same avatar.

With that in mind, I do have a collection room but it's not for SW, I have one for Batman.

Batman Collection

13. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I am collection original Masters of the Universe figures at the moment for some strange reason.

14. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Some people are just too extreme!!! :)

15. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Yeah man. I tell ya what, I'm glad I stopped Batman collecting when I did with all the TV's DVD players and ghetto blasters that came out a couple of years ago, man they looked cool. I even saw a Dark Knight TV a couple of weeks back.

So this forum is alive again huh? I opted to hold off posting for a while to see where things were going, now it seems we're back in business.

Remember, TPM turns 10 years old in just a little over 5 months time. What a top opportunity to whip out ya copy of The Phandom Menace and take a trip in the way back machine to when the film was just coming out.

As someone said the other day "Meesa 10 years old" LOCK AND LOAD :)

16. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    OMG...ten years.

Ten years since the hype

Ten years since the quote "Episode 1 will make Titanic look like a Tug Boat"

Ten years since......WOW....ten years.

Now I do feel old.

17. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Just whip out ya copy of Phandom Menace and you can relieve it all as if it was yesterday :)

The trouble is ... it DOES feel like yesterday!

18. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Wanna hear an example of dedication and commitment?

Some of us were in the Moomba parade on Monday which had a decent Star Wars entry. Included in the group was a family consisting of the mother (Padme), father (Jedi) and two boys (youngling Padawans).

To get the boys looking right for their roles, they needed to have a hair braid strand. Well the parents had the hair braids in hand so how do you think they attached them? Yep, they hot glued them to the kids real hair. Now THAT'S committment!

In the Moomba parade one of the guys was dressed as Darth Revan. Now as we know, Revan is a total 100% EU character so imagine how stoked the guy was when a couple of people from the crowd called out his name. Ohmegawd nerds! They're everywhere!

BTW if you want to see pics of the event, here are some taken by one of the 501st guys.

Moomba Star Wars pics

Anyone notice that Jedi Finance doesn't seem to be around much anymore? What's interesting is that a dude pointed out that there is now a Stargate Finance floating around that happens to have Star Wars manequins inside. So what does that tell ya?

It's only two months until TPM turns 10 years old. Be sure to whip out those Jar Jar toys you've had locked away and pop a copy of Phandom Menance into the DVD player for a bit of a retrospective look at what the world was like when everyone was WAITING for TPM to come out.

19. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Wow a SW entry at Moomba? That's great! I've never actually seen the parade part of the festival :p. I have heard alot about Darth REvan but haven't read any books with him yet.He seems to be pretty popular, I don't know why- yet.

Was there really a Jedi Finance?? Why does Stargate Finance have SW manaquinns?? Idiots.

I can't believe TPM turns 10 years old! Where did the time go?? I still remember everything I did around that time! I was 12. OMG! I'm turning 22 this year, it has been 10 years! Gah!!

20. oldbenk31

oldbenk31 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Wow, 10 years, my son is just now getting into it (hes 5) so its like reliving the excitement all over again throught him. I plan on taking him to see the Science and Imag. display when it comes down here, anyone else going? Its right down from where I live in Altona. The clone wars series has really turned out to be really good, my littl jedi reminds everytime they are supposed to come on Ch 10 and the cartoon channel, even if hes seen them 50 times he is still just as excited about watching it as the first time.

21. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    MIXO MIXO MAN
    I want to be a MIXO MAN
    MIXO MIXO MAN
    I want to be MIXO

22. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Yep time sure flies fast, 1999 for some of us seems only like a blip away and you're right in that most people can remember what they were doing at that time quite vividly - I know I can.

Yes there was definately a Jedi Finance, in fact one of their outlets was located in Mitcham which is where I first saw it. I never went inside to suss them out for myself but I can't imagine them operating for too long before being ousted by LFL. The chances of Jedi Finance and Stargate Finance not being run by the same dudes is pretty slim. I can only assume they were hoping fans would flock to them for business ... ahhh no.

23. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Haha yeah definately. So weird.

I would really like for the Lord of the RIngs SYmphony to come to Melbourne. I'd so go to that. I Know it's not Star Wars but I didn't know were else to say it.

24. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    As VicFF must be on the verge of shutdown from the lack of posts and of course the total absence of the mandatory meets, I thought I'd pop in a comment to show that I'm still around.

So the 10th year of TPM has come and gone. Anyone notice it? We had a discussion about it at our May Skyforce meeting where we showed footage from the SW documentary The Phandom Menace from the premiere screening 10 years ago. It's certainly amazing how time flies that's for sure. In any event the consensus of the crowd is that TPM should be forgotten as no one really cares about it.

After all the hoopla and anticipation, Scienceworks is finally up and running with the SW exhibition. So what does everyone think of it? I saw it at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney earlier in the year and thought that it was quite good though one can never have too many props and costumes - of which I thought a few more would've been good. Still with that in mind, seeing the 1-1 scale Droideka, the big AT-AT walker and of course my absolute favourite the Star Destroyer model was a site to behold.

I don't think the exhibition is as good as the Magic of Myth held in Sydney in 2002 but either way having real SW stuff in Melbourne is certainly pretty cool.

I've been doing some sniffing around for info on the new SW Live Action Series (LAS) and there is just nothing about. The question really is what are they waiting for? I'm sure once it's announced it'll be mega big news. Personally I think they'll wait for The Clone Wars to finish before announcing anything but if they keep everyone in the dark too long it'll become an urban myth.

Did anyone see the newspaper stuff that was out a week ago for the SW exhibition? If you saw the Herald/Sun then you would've seen a great pic of Dave with his R2 unit. If you saw The Age you would've noticed references to the 501st, some SW writer and a dude from Geelong who made a fan film down there.

Honestly I don't know why the Geelong dude keeps popping up because his film is utter tripe! Lordvaderff and myself sat in an actual Village cinema for nearly two hours watching this drival and believe me it's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back!

I find this frustrating because there are heaps of top notch Melbourne based fan films out there that totally destroy anything this guy could put together and I find it an insult that the media still show interest in him from time to time.

Anyway that's me off my soap box.

I see Fanboys is out and about. I haven't seen it yet but I'm guessing it's like a SW version of Free Enterprise which came out a number of years ago. As a nerd I'll probably relate heavily to it though I'm sure a "normal" person watching it will have their belief that we are all losers substantiated. Ahhh well, it's tough being a nerd but someone has to be one. :)

Anyway that's it from me for now. If this forum is still operating in the near future I'll be sure to pop back ... if only to see how life in The Dag House is kicking on.

Ta ta.

:)

25. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005

No! I care about it! I watched it the first time I was old enough to understand star wars! I became obsessed with it...watched it about 20 times as soon as I got it. When I watch the film now I still know all the lines :p

I have a soft spot for TPM because it was the first time I saw Obi-Wan young, Qui-Gon was a character that inspired awe and confidence, the podrace was so cool, and it has my favorite piece of SW music- "Duel of the Fates". It also opened up my eyes to more of the SW Galaxy- Conruscant amazes me still.

[image=http://dmitrychernikov.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/coruscant3.jpg]