main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Essential Guide to OC's: The Mini Challenge Revival - Prompt the Fourth!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Hmmm[face_thinking] with MMM and quote challenges I have an idea that will work.

2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Hmm. The only OC I've got that would go against her morals doesn't actually have any...

3. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    The picture is finished and now the edit of the fic and a title

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/tetrahedron13.jpg]

4. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  6. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    *Pokes head in and waves*

Hi. In regrads to this challenge, do I have to create a new one-shot fic with my character or can I include it within my current work?

7. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    *tips hat to the Dingo*

Hey Dingo! Just to clarify, are you speaking of a current WIP as an entry, or a particular chapter being entered?

8. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    Quick question - I have a one-shot that works on its own, but it's also part of a larger fic that I won't be continuing for a while. Would I be allowed to have the one-shot on the index, as it's stands well on its own. Thanks in advance.

9. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    You can do it!

10. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

Entries due in just over 2 days!

Currently there is only one entry in the sock's PM box, so anyone wanting to submit an entry, let's get those PMs in!

11. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Sliding in under the deadline once again (my favorite way to do it!).

Partners

12. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    My contribution: Duty

13. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I wasn't able to come up with an entry this time, but I'm looking forward to reading the submissions! :)

14. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
  15. LaForzaViva

LaForzaViva Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    Uh my entry was sent to the sock, but I guess I have to post it here myself.

No Rhyme nor Reason

16. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Um, you're right. [face_blush] (happens every time I open a submission PM before the deadline...)

Your has been added to the list! ;)

17. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    POV?

I think, in general, my favorite is 3rd person limited around one character. When I write short stories, it's usually just around the main character, but in epics or longer pieces I like to shift scene by scene, as there might not be one character that is consistently in all of them. I tried to keep on consistent perspective as a challenge to myself in my "Under the Shadow of the Builers", but in the end, I got really tired of it. ^^''

I think I would like to try to write something in first person though. It would be challenging but I'm sure good things would come of taking a different angle at writing.

18. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I almost always stay locked into third-person limited no matter what I write. I've taken a few shots at first-person, but that's still well outside my comfort zone.

19. LaForzaViva

LaForzaViva Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    When I first began writing, I would use first-person in rinky dink stories I wrote, since it allowed me to convey emotions. But now, I write in third-person subjective limited, where emotions expressed (the subjective) can be written in that character's mind using the first-person. And since each character can only know as much as their part in the story allows, it's limited.

I've considered dabbling in unreliable narration, but I think that would work best in a mystery/thriller type of work. Something on my mind, though.

20. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I almost always write 3rd person, because I feel like if the reader is seeing everything from the hero/ine's POV then the reader gradually sees the hero as either arrogant or no longer a person -- too perfect.

The exception to this is when I write short stories, usually based on undeserved redemption. In that short story, first person grabs the readers -- they become the character, and feel what the character feels. (Though I've had people get mad at me, claiming I made them cry.)

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Third person limited. I like the restrictions and the freedoms of it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Third person limited, though I've managed a few successful first person stories as well.

23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, third person limited is my typical writing style.

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    third person is my writing style in most of my large fics but I have done first person too.

25. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Another one here for third person limited. It doesn't seem as "busy" or confusing to me as third omniscient and helps me to focus my writing better. I've done a couple first person stories too. Depending on the character and how comfortable I am with him/her, I can get pretty deep into the POV in third limited so that the jump to first person doesn't seem too hard, but that's rare. If I'm less familiar with a character it's harder for me to separate myself from the character in first person. There's one story I have in first person that I'm planning on rewriting in third limited because I think it'll make it smoother and less confusing.

I gotta read challenge entries tonight and tomorrow. [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.