main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fan Sites Social Thread says Final Exams are EVIL

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by jedi-mind-trick, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    It does brighten the place. :p

2. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Indeed. However, I am using these colors for now...I will end up going back to the red/black thugh. ;)

3. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Please do. The grey and black don't suit you very well.

4. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    When I had my colors I was always picking the most pastel, bright colors that I could find. It was fun. :p

5. KILIK

KILIK Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    I've never made a site or anything but I was just wandering something.

I've been to some sites that have muisc playing on them.

I was wandering just how is that done?

6. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Well it depends on what type of file it is, what method they use to include it in the page, etc. Generally it's just an embedded file but you can tell by viewing the source for the page in question. :)

Hope that helps!

7. DDL

DDL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2005
    This Social Thread = Dead.

:p

8. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    It was never alive. The thing about the social thread is that people are just using it to talk about websites when in reality it's supposed to be spam.

9. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Hmmm...haven't ventured in here for a while...

I see you guys changed the banner. [face_plain]

Just kidding! :p

10. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Aye, just rotating them back and forth. [face_peace]

This social thread is dead? Nah... :p

11. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Haha, I know. I was just messing. ;)

Let's put some life into this!

~rubs the electric thing together~

CLEAR!

~shocks thread~

12. MARA-JADE10

MARA-JADE10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    HI, :) well i just have 1 question How do you have TIME to make Costumes ? :eek:

13. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Costumes we don't have time for. Websites, we do. :p

14. MARA-JADE10

MARA-JADE10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    OH :eek: well i want to hav time 4 BOTH :D

15. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    ~dusts thread off~

Wow, it's been quite a while since this place has had a post.

Anyone still here to talk? :p

16. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Alright now...I know there are some people who are reading this thread...Come talk to me! :(

:p

17. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Hello. I mainly lurk this board, but since you called me out, I'll post and humor you. [face_mischief]

18. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yay! Thanks for coming out from your little rock. :D

You should start posting more often. ;)

19. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Eh, I really don't have much to say when someone posts something about just his or her own website, and the suggestion threads are good enough to not need my "expert" advice. :p

So, how'd you get involved with fan sites? I see your name a lot around here.

20. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Just jumping in now, but I guess I'll answer your question too. It could become a discussion, lol. I got involved a few years back when I saw that the boards were in bad shape, so I thought I'd help out. I put together the index of web hosts and got VIPship for it. I've been helping out and sending in suggestions to the staff ever since. I'm currently working on an index of every site ever posted in this board broken down into categories and such.

21. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    A discussion happening on this board! Heresy! :eek:

Yes, yes. I see your name around here a lot, too. That's a lot of work to put together all that stuff, so kudos to you all for keeping things going. I guess I probably should have stopped lurking this board a long while ago, but it is kind of dead most days. :p

What is your website experience? How did you get involved in design/code in the first place?

22. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I got involved with fan sites when I joined the Sith Trials group here a while back. I created a message board for them, and then branched off into an actual website for them. I became interested in HTML and coding and stuff, so I looked at quite a few tutorials. My skills are basic right now, and will remain so for a while. I am hoping to take some web design courses at my college if I can find some.

That's pretty cool Bac, let me know if you need any help with that. I was thinking about putting together an index myself, and would love to help out.

I got involved in this specific forum when I posted a link to my Sith Trials fan site here. I thought it was a pretty cool place because I enjoy coding and such. I made a banner a few years back, but they switched back to this one since then. I thought I would create several threads here to help out the fan sites, so I have created a few, one I just sent in to DV. Though he has since stepped down, so...this place is modless! ~weaks havoc~ [face_devil]

No, I kid. I applaud DV for what he did for this board. =D= :)

23. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    That's very cool. Your experience sounds a little like how I started out, nemesis. I basically poked around in HTML back in the day and coded stuff in Notepad for the old Talon Intelligence Squadron series on the fanfic boards. Most of that stuff really never needs to see the light of day again, honestly. [face_blush]

I now poke around in Dreamweaver and have taken some courses in web design. Unfortunately, my creative side has the excitement of a bag of bricks, so I'm more tech-head than anything.

24. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, that's all I do. I have Dreamweaver, but I don't know too much about it; just recently acquired it. I usually just code things in Notepad like you said.

25. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Will do, Nemesis.

I got involved with websites with a project that started in the CT boards back in 2004. It was to create a website that acted as if Episodes IV-VI had yet to be written and would be released in 2008, 2011 and 2014, respectively. The intention of the website wasn't to mislead anyone, unlike sites such as SuperShadow.Com, but rather to give readers a look at what internet spoilers for Episode IV, Episode V and Episode VI might have looked like had that trilogy been released second. The website had a discussion forum that saw moderate use, but after a few months interest in the idea waned. However, we didn't want to give up on the site altogether, so we merely abandoned the original idea and changed the focus of the site to general Star Wars news and fan fiction.

I was originally just a collaborator but I now run the site, but I'm not the designer because my artistic abilities don't go beyond stick figures in MS Paint. It's used as a general Star Wars news site but it's also to showcase my Alternative Star Wars Saga. The way I like to describe my saga is like this: Brandon Rhea's Alternative Star Wars Saga, or simply the "Alternative Saga", is an epic saga of science fiction novels spanning over 100,000 years that serves as a re-imagining of the Star Wars Saga. They are written by Brandon Rhea, based upon the Star Wars Saga created by George Lucas. The Alternative Saga story employs archetypal motifs both common and uncommon to both science fiction and classical mythology, going much more in depth with the religious aspect of the Force, known in the Alternative Saga as the "Force of Others".

I'm also the Head Administrator of a popular role-playing forum called TheStarWarsRP.Com, where we're currently role-playing in a timeline that we created ourselves based on a small and insignificant canon event called the Alsakan Crisis. The year is 13,000 BBY and there are no Sith and Mandalorians, but rather it is the Jedi, the Republic, the Alsakan Union and an upcoming faction of Dark Jedi. It's pretty cool and rather unique. I'm also one of two very active Administrators on Star Wars Fanon, the Star Wars fan fiction Wiki. That's where most of my fan fiction work is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.