main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Favorite SFF Book Tournament Nominations Thread- help checking for duplicates, please!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Rogue...Jedi, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterGandalf

MasterGandalf Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2009
  2. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
  3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  4. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
  5. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
  6. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
  7. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Time of the Twins
    War of the Twins
    Test of the Twins

All written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

The next one I am not sure if it qualifies, but I am going to give it a try as I believe it to be a book that now days fits into the fantasy genre as well as it does epic poem category.

The Odyssey by Homer

If that doesn't qualify for this tournament, just say so. :)

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    As a classicist, I love the Odyssey... but I can't include it as part of the fantasy genre, sorry.

I still have a bunch more nominations to make, but they'll probably come next week.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I think what you mean, Rogue...Jedi, is that you can't include The Odyssey as part of the modern fantasy genre. With its portrayal of gods manipulating humans' lives, the gift of prophetic visions, a Cyclops and sirens, among other magical elements, the story of Odysseus' return home from Troy is decidedly fantasy.

In fact, it's arguable that the modern fantasy genre would not exist without Homer.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    To us today, something such as that would be fantasy, yes. To the ancient Greeks, it was decidedly not.

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Magician is one book, and was published that way originally. It just got split up for money-making purposes in the US, rather like Storm of Swords was in the UK/Australia.

14. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I nominated it as two because that is the only way I have ever seen it being sold.

15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Hey! I nominated Storm of Swords in my first post, back on page 1. Martin is the modern master!

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I don't know where you're getting this idea, but it's not correct. We don't need to argue about it here, since this isn't the thread topic, but as a brief aside we can see from the works of various Greek philosophers that in Hellenistic times, the gods were not held to be real by anyone but the most ignorant. Cyclopses and sirens were regarded as mythical even then, not held as actual beings. Still today, a small minority of people believe in magic power and undiscovered creatures, but that does not mean that modern fantasy literature is invalidated as fantasy. Anyway, it's your thread, so set your own criteria for what merits a nomination.

Are we beginning with the publication of, say, LOTR in the 1950s? Or Idylls of the King in the late 19th century? What precisely is the cut-off point?

17. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - it's got time travel, battles, and kilts. Everything a girl could want... :p

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm not going to set a precise cutoff date, but I'll consider any borderline ones on a case by case basis.

EDIT: to clarify, this is in response to M_A's question 2 posts above.

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Okay, let's try these:

Idylls of the King by Alfred Lord Tennyson (mid-to-late 19th century)
    Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory (late 15th century)
    History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (mid 12th century)
    The Mabinogion, first translated by Lady Charlotte Guest (in the 19th century), from traditional British tales (written down in the 14th century, but including material as old as the 11th century)

20. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
  21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    M_A: Sorry for the delay. I've been really busy for the past week or so and haven't been on much. Anyways, after discussing this with Nat, I'm going to say that in general, only works from the last 200 years will be accepted, due to significant differences in the context of earlier works. Even with this, it should probably be even more recent for fantasy as opposed to science fiction, due to differing changes in the respective genres. However, I retain the right to modify this in select cases as deemed appropriate.

Of those you posted, Idylls of the King is the most likely, though I'm going to look at it some more before making a final yes/no decision on it. In many ways it looks to be more connected with mythology than fantasy (and as someone who has taught mythology - including Le Morte D'Arthur - and frequently reads fantasy, I'm definitely aware that there is a line there), but it also bears some more modern characteristics. If you'd like to discuss that work in particular with me via PM, I'll be glad to.

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
  25. Tiggermyk

Tiggermyk Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.