main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Future of Your JC Community

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    This may come as something of a shock to a few of you, but the YJCC (Your Jedi Council Community) is not standing on such solid ground these days. Unbeknownst to many users, there are cascades of threads and posts deleted every day in such short time that few register them. It's getting to be such a burden that we were forced to hire more mods - straining our already full team - and make sacrifices on threads that grew too fast for even our abilities.

While many users try to positively contribute, the presence of socks (calculated at one for every 8 regular users) in the YJCC ruins the experience for many, causing even more spamming and trolling. We do our best to combat them, but with dynamic IPs, we can only do so much. Socks really are a detriment to the JCC and they (and their owners) are prime targets in our new campaign against spam and trolling. We appreciate user input on the identity of several unknown socks that will be made known at a later time after we've compiled the list.

The YJCC has always been a place of conflict and problem, but the time may be coming when we have to evaluate its future. Is it really a necessary place on these boards? It's a bunch of spamming and trolling tied together by a rag-tag group of posters (who we'll let keep their anonymity - for now) hell bent on keeping that place afloat. We must take action.

I feel it best to inform you before we do anything drastic to the forum, but you must realize that the future of the YJCC is not set in stone. We in the Administration are considering serious action taken against several users and the board as a whole. I hesitate to say how extreme this would be; a panic is not needed.

Now, I don?t want to give you the wrong impression here. We want you to help us, to help contribute positive posts, to give a little bit of effort to make quality instead of quantity. There is something to be said for the user with only a few hundred posts, but that are all of a high caliber. We mods are as much to blame for letting this farce continue as some users are of perpetrating these problems we face. Decisions need to be made with you right beside us.

But regardless, something must be done. Even if it means we erase it and start over.

See last post.

2. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    Damnit, I knew it. I've been telling you for how long now? And now, it's happening.

Let's aim for a little more decorum here, people.

3. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    a panic is not needed.

Dude, the JCC is where most of the disscussionn and friend making goes on! I hope that it never comes down to erasing it!

4. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    This will be interesting.

5. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I say keep it.

It might eliminate spam and trolling and the like, but that's just because one corrupted forum has been exterminated. That'll probably mean a couple of things, like a slew of complaints and a possible transfer of crapola to new forums.

If you want to keep the JC in one piece, save the JC Community, even if it means more restrictions.

6. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    Yes, the JCC is the heart of the JC. I dare say many many people would leave if the JCC were taken away.

7. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Don't you see, we WANT to keep it! We understand the social importance. But it's a helluva lot of work. Is it worth it? We would like to see an improvement in the quality, but if not . . . who knows?

8. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    Thats what I'm sayin' IT'S WORTH IT!

Heck, if you guys need help, I guess if you begged me, I'd become a moderator of JCC... maybe

9. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    jasman: Right on! It's tough to imagine the JC without a place to socialize.

But there is quality in the Community, you have to look for it in the right places.

10. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    plenty of quality, such as the mafia game.

11. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Can you increase the post limit time? that would slow it....

What about no or virtually no edit time, ease the pressure....

only mods can post topics like Census? that would be very tricky, you might have to make certain poeple VIPS- they can post topics for members (i discoevered this), but not mod... actually i kinda like that idea, ya know?

my $.03

¤Night

12. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    :eek: Yikes! :eek:

I didn't hang out in it my first two years, but the JCC has became one of the boards I frequent the most. :) Eliminate socks, if you must. Anything, as long as it remains!

EDIT: I doubt it's plausible, but if it is, I'd donate my time to helping out if Night4554's idea flys. :)

~*~Bria

13. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    No night, I have to disagree with all of your suggestions. But I hope that something that drastic doesn't have to be done. :(

14. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Drastic measures sometimes have to be taken.

We all need to step up to save Our JC Community.

15. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Why am I not surprised?

For a long time, socks have been a glorified part of the JCC life. We have users that have literally dozens of socks. Users that go out and create new ones because people mention a celebrity.

And until this time, these users have had hardly any reprimands. The most I ever heard was to keep it within an 'acceptable limit'.

First solution, make it a limit of three socks for any user. Let a user decide which one(s) to keep, and ban the rest.

Second solution. Do something about those silly 'social threads'. Do we really need a bar brawl and a JCC Prom and a sanctuary etc etc etc. Let people discuss certain topics, not fill up threads with worthless spam.

16. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    Yeah, reinstate the old GTKY thread, then lock all the other social threads. We should up the minnimum time between posting new topics to somewhere around 10-15 minutes

17. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Why don't you just stop worrying about the spam. Just make sure things are rated PG and that's the end of it.

!snap

18. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    `First solution, make it a limit of three socks for any user. Let a user decide which one(s) to keep, and ban the rest.'

This is what we're supposed to do anyway.

19. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    yeah, that policy should be enforced.

20. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    But regardless, something must be done. Even if it means we erase it and start over.

What, if I may ask, will this accomplish? I agree that the place is worthless save for a few amusing threads, but you'll be getting rid of a ton of history and some older interesting threads. And you really won't be getting rid of the apparent problem, the massive spamming and pointless posting, because they'll just pop up.

Decisions need to be made with you right beside us.

Meh. You can say that all you want, but I really doubt you're going to get a ton of member support for doing something drastic like deleting an entire forum. Would the post counts go with it? People are going to want to kill, I think. Maybe (and hopefully) I'm wrong.

Perhaps you should compile that list of socks and users before you start getting crazy opinions and ideas in here. If the members don't know the root of the problem, how are they supposed to help?

21. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    You guys realize how impossible it would be to ask every JC member what socks they have, and which ones they want to keep, and which ones they want to ban? I probably have 8 socks or so, and I only use three or so. For me alone it would take a while. Now imagine 1000+ other people they'd have to ask.

22. yodaboy

Feb 5, 2001
    I will voluntarily give up my 10 extra socks (other than the 3 max limit). tommarow, i don't really have the time to tonight.

//starts movement to ban/delete all extra socks

23. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    "But regardless, something must be done. Even if it means we erase it and start over."

Yes, YJCC has myriad problems, but attitudes like that (i.e. that the past is not worth preserving) have done more to damage the JC in its three-and-a-half-plus year history than spam and over-use of socks have. Also, making generalizations like implying that all socks are bad does not help. Socks can be entertaining when used appropriately. I don't know what should be done about YJCC's problems; I don't even know if anything can[/b] be done. In any case, let's not do something that we'll regret.

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I feel a bit odd. I have no socks at all, and I don't really see why anyone would want to have one, other than a couple occasional uses.

25. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Did you read my post? They would have to be insane to ban/delete them all.

I say ban the socks you have problems with, give the people you have problems with warnings, and then take further action if it doesn't work out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.