main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx The Harry Potter Thread...Wizards, Witches, and Muggles Welcome

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Princess_Skywalker_, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    okay, I'm only through book 3 but thought I would drop this post in without reading the other posts. I was watching CNN today and they showed a bunch of footage from Prisoner of Azkaban. Pretty cool. I left my VCR recording when I left the house today so I hope I got some of it. I'll let you know.

-LP

2. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    Crookshanks (Yes, it's a he.) is sitting beside Hermione on the train. He totally looks like a puppet, though.

I think I watched the whole thing through frame-by-frame, and already made myself a Lupin & Neville icon for my LiveJournal. (Mainly just because that's the only decent shot of Lupin, but also because Neville is a sweetie. [face_love])

I don't get the giant toads in the choir, but it looks completely awesome!!

My vote for coolest part: the Wanted poster of Sirius. That thing kicks butt! :cool:

3. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    My favorite part of course is the draco part... :p
    [image=http://galleries.mugglenet.com/images/poapromo3.jpg]

But Snape in a dress, also very good...
    [image=http://home.hetnet.nl/~jaczijtaart/pics/news/snapedress.jpg]

And I thought I posted this already but I must have just said it to Jess in im... The part with the Sirius poster, YES!!! I totally agree Sarah. That was PERFECT with the music. OMG! Him screaming as the kids are singing that high note!
    [image=http://galleries.mugglenet.com/images/poapromo10.jpg]

That and the Snape/Bogart coming out of the closet as they say "Something wicked this way comes", indeed. :D

Snape the protector? sigh. I am wondering if this is the werewolf part?? Though technically he should be unconscious. Hmm? I hope they didn't cut that part! :(
    [image=http://galleries.mugglenet.com/images/poapromo8.jpg]

Oh and I thought Crookshanks would be bigger. :p And the Dementors I pictured a bit more hanging flesh like.
    [image=http://galleries.mugglenet.com/images/poapromo9.jpg]

But the scenes are absolutely gorgeous. I mean breathtakingly beautiful. I can't believe how good this movie looks. sigh. I can't stop watching it. I can't wait to see Hogsmede!!
    [image=http://galleries.mugglenet.com/images/poapromo4.jpg]

Oh the pure agony of having to wait until June to see the whole thing. It's TORTURE!! ugh!! And the fact that it will be summer and my costume will be extremely uncomfortable in the heat, ugh. ugh. ugh! Cause I can't wear my costume without my scarf! :p I would love to get a group of us together in costume to go see it one night after con, like wed or thurs or something... that would rule! :D

Also here are links that are working (since some weren't earlier) to the highest res versions of the trailer...
    LINKS TO THE POA TRAILER:
    1) Windows Media: POA Trailer
    2) Real Player POA Trailer
    3) Quicktime POA Trailer

4. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    hey kirana, there are a ton of lupin icons popping up on livejournal icon communities, they're just not the way he looks in the movie. i.e. no mustache, as he SHOULD NOT HAVE ONE. but he looks so sweet i like immediately just got over the fact that he has one. :D *so* happy thewlis is lupin, i don't think we could hope for anyone better.

on extra tonight they interviewed the kids on set (VERY short segment) and showed some shots from the trailer. it was on again late so i got to see it twice. dan cracked me up:

they showed emma screwing with dan's hair, and rupert's looking at dan and her like "oh man, leave him alone, the poor guy." so then the interviewer guy is like, "does she do that with your hair a lot?" or something, and dan's like, "i don't even know anymore. i just let her do it." bahaha.

the funniest part about that is out of the blue a month or so ago i kept saying, "i don't even know anymore" to like everything anyone said to me. i knew i had a connection with that kid. ;D

anyway, dan said he wasn't sure he'd do all the movies. grr. but whatever, i guess this is the one that really matters. though i can't imagine anyone else being harry in the ootp movie. GRR.

(edit: oh, i'm stupid. right, forgot for a sec. hah.) i'm gonna start rereading prisoner of azkaban today, should be done sometime tomorrow if i keep at it. i gotta refresh my memory on it.

*squeals more* *watches snape in drag again*

someone on livejournal made an icon of when the dress appears on him and animated it just right so it looks like alan's dancing in drag in a particularly dorky way. it's HILARIOUS. he's never going to live this down. [face_devil]

5. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh Good Lord look what I found!!! OMG!! You have to fill in all the information as to WHY you are receiving detention from Professor Snape and you get a responses back from him!! [face_laugh] omg too funny! Here's the link and my interaction with Snapey... :D
    Professor Snape's Automated Detention Dispenser

Snapey: "So much of my time is taken up handing out detentions (in response to behaviour ranging from highly malicious to deeply moronic), I have decided to set up this automated service."

First you put in your name, what year you are, and what house?Then as you go along, you pick a response from the drop down boxes?.
    I put:
    Amy
    Fifth Year (since OOTP is the latest HP book out)
    Slytherin (of course!)

Snapey: "I am gravely disappointed to see someone from Hogwart's most distinguished House here! Bad enough you did wrong - getting caught was inexcusable!
    Very well, Amy - what was your offence?"

I picked "I was insubordinate in Potions class"

Snapey: "I will not tolerate rudeness and bad behaviour in class!
    So what is your excuse?"

I picked "Potter made me do it!"

Snapey: "Amy
    Potter provoked you into such behaviour?
    That is a pathetic excuse.... but even so, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You are excused detention.
    Oh, and 20 points from Gryffindor House for Potter's troublemaking.
    S. Snape"

HA! HA! [face_laugh] Potter Stinks! :D And I LOVE Snapeykins. [face_love]

6. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    OMG this one is even better if that's possible...Well it DOES mention Draco [face_love]

This time I picked "I used spells against another student"

Snapey: "Using spells out of class is against the rules.
    So what is your excuse?"

I replied: "I was merely defending Mr. Malfoy" [face_love]

Well, in that case you are excused detention... and Slytherin gets 50 points for any distress caused to Mr Malfoy.

S. Snape"

sigh. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Ok here's another:
    This time I picked "I stole from your personal stores"

Snapey: "I have no time for petty thieves. So what is your excuse?"

I replied: "It wasn't me! It was Potter!"

It was Potter who stole stuff from my store?
    Well, of COURSE it was! Wouldn't be the first time, after all...

Thirty points from Gryffindor House for Harry Potter being such a lying, cheating, stealing little scumbag!

S. Snape"
    [face_laugh]

Here are some other funny reponses:
    For the "I missed class cause I couldn't find it"....
    Snapey says: "The Potions classroom is located in the dungeons, where it always has been and no doubt always shall be, and even a dullard like me ought to be able to find it" [face_laugh]

For the "I missed class cause I didn't remember it"....
    Snapey says: "I must try harder NOT to behave like the clueless idiot I so obviously am!" [face_laugh]

Snapey's response to why you didn't hand in your homework?
    "Homework is set for your benefit. Any enjoyment I get from making you do it is merely a bonus!
    So what is your excuse?" [face_laugh]

7. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    So I went to go see Love Actually again (excellent movie btw) and after it was over, we snuck in to see the trailers for that Looney Toons movie. POA was the last one. Holy crap. That's all I can say. Seeing it on your computer is one thing, seeing it on the big screen. Oh boy oh boy. As the WB logo came on I heard a few people go "yeah" and I got all excited and had to yell myself. :p The music, the beautiful effects, oh it was awesome! Seeing the dementor's hand so huge at the end of the trailer totally creeped me out. This movie is going to be EXCELLENT! Good lord they did such an excellent job! So it ended and a few people cheered, myself included. :p Then we left, as did a few others. Funny out of the 15 or so people there for the movie, seemed most were more interested in the trailer... :p

Sigh. I cannot wait until June. How on earth am I ever going to survive until then?

8. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    hey jess, look what i found... [face_love]
    [image=http://www.tomfelton.com/discussion.v2/sitefiles/images/gallery5/245big.jpg]

*faints*

9. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Hmm... Old news, yes. About as old as the last post on here (for shame!). But somehow, relevant... hmmm..... ;p

'HP Fan Trips' Announces Exclusive Tour of Britain for International Harry Potter Fans with Appearance by Chris Rankin, Actor in Harry Potter Movies
    October 31, 2003 - HP Fan Trips has just announced an exclusive tour to Britain in June 2004 for the release of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the third film adaptation of JK Rowling's acclaimed novels. Chris Rankin, who plays Percy Weasley in the movie series, will spend an entire weekend with the tour's participants.
    The tour will travel to exciting film locations seen in the Harry Potter movies, while learning about history and culture of the UK. The National Governing Body for the Olympic sport of Team Handball[] in the United States will be developing rules and regulations for a land-based game of Quidditch and providing UK counterparts to referee the games.
    Mr. Rankin will greet guests from around the world during an exciting treasure hunt in London, host a premiere - and possibly private - viewing of the movie Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and meet fans for a discussion after the film. He will also participate in a magical Quidditch match, a special Triwizard Tournament, and a closing banquet.
    Crafted by HP Fan Trips and operated by Beyond Boundaries Travel, this "Live the Legend!" tour celebrates the history of wizards, fantasy, and magical creatures using world-class storytellers and ingenious activities. Developed in cooperation with VisitBritain, the official British Tourist Authority, Beyond Boundaries has arranged activities for international guests including book and movie discussions, and a banquet rivaled only by Hogwarts' own feasts.

http://hpana.com/news.cfm?nids=17636_spend_a_weekend_with_chris_rankin_tour_britain_the_harry_potter_way

http://www.hpfantrips.com/
    hmmm.... very cool, very cool indeed ;p

10. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm so sad i most likely can't go to that :( :( BUT i will get to see PoA while here in Britain so i'm okay with that!!!!! :D

oh yeah, I did the Snape detention thing and it RULES.
    Name: Linda
    Year: 3rd (I actually am in "third year" classes over here, yippee!)
    House: Ravenclaw. I was put into it by the sorting hat.
    Offence: Late for class (I ALWAYS am)
    Excuse: I was so busy working in the library that i forgot the time (happened last night)

Linda

What a joy it is to find someone who enjoys their schoolwork so much! I know JUST what to give you - a 6 scroll essay on the use of Jobberknoll feathers.

However, you will do this in your own time and not treat it as another opportunity to miss classes.

S. Snape

I have no doubt that something like that would happen over here. You get in trouble if you don't attend class! As in, you get reported by your professor to the advisor of your school and then they send you horrible emails and sometimes call your parents!! I'm 22, i didn't know this could still happen to me! I feel like I am LIVING in Hogwarts, i swear ;) :D

11. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    Anyone wanna take up Alchemy with me? I got the standard late Middle Ages "recipe" in Stars and Sorcery class yesterday. I'll post it as soon as I can get my notes over to a computer cluster. ;-)

Maybe we can get richer than Nicolas Flamel. heehee!

12. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Gives Linda a great big hug for keeping the Harry Potter thread alive! tee hee! :D

**What about a potions class? :eek: I could use some Veritserum... [face_devil] ;p Oh yes! You know, for people who claim to be really honest but either aren't honest at all, OR are honest, but only behind people's backs... mwahahahaha! [face_devil] [face_devil] [face_devil] Oh the plans that are forming! :p

13. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    If we get onto the subject of medieval potions, I so will post whatever i get, especially if it's got some anecdotal potions!! I've already read about mandrake as being a popular cure for many different types of ailments.

14. jupitertronic

Feb 10, 2002
    if your teacher knows what a bezoar is, i hereby dub them really damn cool in the way that only Roger the Shrubber is cool. ;D

15. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
  16. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    NOT COOL. Kirana, now i'm going to have nightmares on how UNHOT that action figure of my dear beloved Remus Lupin is. *unhappy face* And yeah it is in no way a wolf. My husky looks more like a wolf than that thing.

17. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE.
    I want that advertising sign with the dementor!!
    [image=http://69.93.35.18/photo/1/data/1276/1DSCN6211.JPG]

Plus check out Harry with the goggles! [face_laugh]

18. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    awesome! still doesn't make up for the travesty action figure that is my Lupin, however. *is cross*

19. jupitertronic

Feb 10, 2002
    SQUEE! there's finally a good picture of lupin!

[image=http://pwogalerie.funnelle.com/galleries/Les_films/Harry_Potter_3/Guide1.jpg]

i was definitely 100% against him having a mustache, but the first time i ever saw a good shot of him (in the first trailer) i made up my mind that it didn't bother me one bit because it works well with the character. i think the only reason they gave him one is that the guy they cast as lupin (david thewlis) is quite a bit younger than gary oldman (sirius), and the mustache helps make thewlis look a little more like gary's age.

and as you can see, princess, the kids DO wear uniforms while in school. so there. :p ;)

20. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    As promised, here is the authentic recipe for you aspiring Alchemists to make the Philosopher's Stone, courtesy of one young fine Canadian professor who teaches Stars and Sorcery at Leeds Uni. But remember, only those pure of heart and of good intentions can ever hope to achieve this dream. Also, since this is a costly venture, you'd best have a several thousand Galleons in your bank account already. you've been warned...

How to Make the Philosopher's Stone
    The successful profess in creating the stone was typically tracked through colour changes. You must have equal parts perfect mercury and perfect sulphur.

Black (Putrefaction) --> White (Intemediary) --> Red = The Stone

The six full stages are
    1.Calcination: the reduction of a substance into an ashy powder or calx.
    2.Conjuntion: the union of two 'sexual opposite' materials, in this case, perfect mercury and perfect sulphur.
    3.Putrefaction: Death of the composite so it can be reborn into a more perfect form.
    4.Sublimation: The distillation process also known as 'elevation; and 'exhulation' that when repated many times could preduce the 'quintessence' of the metal.
    5.Multiplication/Augmentation: The process to increase the potency of the compound.
    6.Projection: The final stage where the stone, having reached it full potency, the powder/stone, will be case upon base metals to cause transmutation into gold.

If this sounds a bit... vague, cheer up. It is. In order to fully understand this hidden and sacred knowledge, you must find a moral teacher and master who has been gifted by God to teach you the secret exactings of this recipe. (i'm not joking. I've read some of the manuals). But, if you are like a certain Thomas Norton, you can learn the inner workings of Alchemy in a mere 40 days from his master. But if you do achieve the Philosopher's stone, and the elixir of life, and other precious things, be careful you don't end up like the good Norton, who had his two stone and elixir taken from him by thieves.

21. jupitertronic

Feb 10, 2002
    *sigh* good ole alchemy. i remember for MONTHS after the pumpkins' "machina/the machines of god" album came out, nutters like myself spent 24 hours a day at the official smashing pumpkins messageboards, trying to figure out just how serious billy corgan was about all the alchemical references in the cd booklet. good times, good times.

maybe this is getting off track and is out of order with ToS (i hope not), but am i right in assuming that the "other" form of alchemy would be the same thing, but with humans? i.e. intercourse and then suicide? wasn't the whole point of alchemy not so much to make gold out of regular metal, but to achieve immortality and perfection? grr, the whole business is so bloody interesting and there's hardly ANY information online. it drives me batty. :p

22. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    well jupitertronic since there is nothing online about it, you could look up england things instead. ;p

And I'm very glad that we will get to see the kids in their uniforms, though I think I knew that already based on the mass amount of pics you always seem to uncover and show me. ;) :p

23. Anwelei

Aug 26, 2001
    I only know about medieval alchemy from class, ie, the kind talked about in the Harry Potter novels. The two main things a medieval alchemist tried to achieve was
    1. The Philosopher's Stone, which would turn any base metal into gold (or silver, depending on what happened in the process)
    2. the Elixir of Life, which would either cure you of illness or extend your life to ages unknown. (i have a feeling I'm missing the name of the stuff that actually cures you. I'll have to go look through my notes later.)

Oh yeah, the idea of the 'sexual union' and 'chemical wedding' was used for sake of secrecy. Therefore someone in the late Middle Ages who hadn't been approved to practice alchemy couldn't understand what the heck was going on in the instructions. It got so bad sometimes alchemists would confuse each other! That's why in the Harry Potter books, it was such a huge deal that Nicolas Flamel actually managed to make the Stone (pathetically trying to keep on topic).

I'll ask my professor if there was a medieval form of what you're talking about, Jess. If it's not from the Middle Ages, though, he won't know about it. It might be a modern idea.

24. Clawdite_Daisy

Clawdite_Daisy Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2003
    Alchemy rocks!

25. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I went to that autograph thing, the one in Orange County. We got there at the very end... They were closing up. We got to talk to J&O for a bit and ask some questions. They were total sweethearts. For some reason, Devon Murray had left already. But I got a picture with James & Oliver and one with Matthew. Matthew was so polite and shy. He kinda just stood there to the side while we chatted with the twins. I was really impressed the way all 3 of them carried themselves. They were so nice & polite. I will have to post the pics later after I get a chance to upload them from my camera. I tried to go to the event in LA since I hadn't brought anything to sign the day before, but my friend and I didn't get there in time. Both days were supposed to go until about 6pm and they ended by like 5pm. Oh well. Oh and I didn't bring anything SAT because I didn't have the $ for each of their autographs... By the time we got there, there weren't any pics left to purchase, and they weren't even charging anyways. Bad luck I guess.

Fred and George RULE! :D

Oh and I was so in awe, I barely asked any questions. Dumb, I know. Me, not being able to speak? Go figure. :p I just kept thinking, hey! It's the twins! ;p

What I DID ask:
    Will they be updating their site soon with info from their USA tour?
    Yes, and they have a new provider or something and the videos will no longer be so blurry when you watch them. I told them I had enjoyed the videos regardless because at least you could hear them and understand what they were talking about, and not many sites actually have video/audio for the fans like that.

Info from questions that my friends who retained the ability to speak asked:
    *New movie starts shooting in April, the end of I think. Yes, everyone is signed on as far as they know. (I FORGOT TO ASK IF IT WAS ONE OR TWO MOVIES) We also commented on how close that was to the premiere and that wouldn't leave a lot of time for promoting the movies, etc. and they agreed. (Premieres are 5/23 USA, 5/30 UK)

*When we asked about stuff they wanted to do while on tour, ie the beach, skiing, etc. They said they couldn't go skiing because if they broke a leg, etc. right before filming started.

*They DID go to Disneyland on Friday (DRAT! I was going to go Friday but decided Sat was better. oi!). They didn't really ride on rides, they just shot lasers? We didn't know if they meant the shooting gallery or in the arcade or what...

*They said everyone in the cast generally gets along and they have a total blast filming the movies (of course!) ;p

I had a lot of fun, for the little time I was there. Still sorta bummed that I didn't think to bring anything to sign, but... Did get pics with them and the one of me and the twins rules. :D That alone was worth it. Sigh. Wish I could have found my voice, and have persuaded them to kidnap me and take me back to England with them. Oh well, there's always Percy. ;) tee hee :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.