main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

the heartbreakers: the losses that devastated you most

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by KnightWriter, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    :_|

2. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    Just found this thread - mine would have to be the 1985 World Series and Don Denkinger's famous blown call. I seriously believe that cost the Cardinals the World Series title that year. Denkinger is still one of the mosted hated men in St. Louis sports history. He actually had a decent career as an ump, but he'll be forever remembered for that call he got wrong.

Ninth inning with the Cardinals ahead and leading 3 games to 2. That call seemed to have definitely doomed us. When you're 13 years old, watching that was definitely a stomach punch!

Glad we finally got another title this year. Eases the memory, just a little bit.

3. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    When the Eagles lost to the Giants,Panthers, Bucs,Patriots. The panthers loss hurt the most.

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I'm curious about these "guillotine" games... basically these are the really protracted losses, correct?

If so, that reminds me of a playoffs game a few years back between the Mets and the Giants. IIRC, the game went 13 innings led by the Mets, who finally won. As a Giants fan, the game was pure hell to watch.

As for a heartbreaker- the Giants v. the Angels World Series, 2002 I think it was. The Giants haven't won a World Series in such a long time and yet these shiny new Angels have their own Gene Autry story, so you know one side's going to end up extremely disappointed in the end. It was the Giants. The Angels won the first two, then the Giants won three, and the Angels came back to win the last two. Everybody expected the Giants to win the sixth game and I remember we had invited all sorts of extended family and friends to watch the game with us, my dad had a Giants cake baked... ugh... extraordinary set-up for disappointment.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The Giants haven't won a World Series in such a long time and yet these shiny new Angels have their own Gene Autry story, so you know one side's going to end up extremely disappointed in the end.

shiny new?

the angels have been around for well over 40 years.

6. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    :oops:

I'm sorry- I meant to reference their "shiny new" ballpark, not their lifetime.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The Giants haven't won a World Series in such a long time...

:D

8. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Don't worry, Tunick. Sooner or later, the Giants will begin their winning streak that will go on to the end of baseball, always triumphing over the Dodgers!

But yeah seriously, that would be boring. :p

9. Viceroy_Of_Alderaan

Viceroy_Of_Alderaan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2006
    The 1985 AFC Title game between the Dolphins and Patriots. The winner would play the Bears in Super Bowl XX. The Dolphins beat the bears that year for what would be their only loss. The Dolphins lost that day, it still hurts...

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    2003 NLCS

The Cubs had it. Everything was perfect.

The Most devastating win was the White Sox WS championship...

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I have a friend who is a Dolphin fan, man was he bummed.

So was I: I hate the Bears, Marino was the one guy who cold have beaten them that year. I still think he would have.

12. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    probably the Nebraska-Florida college football national championship in 1995. We got beaten so badly (62-24, I think) I didn't think we'd ever be real contenders.

13. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    The Packers and Eagles 4th & 26 game. It didn't help that it was my birthday. It was devastating.

Another heartbreaker was the Packers losing the year before in the wild card round at home against Atlanta. They just looked like crap and it was basically the end of the home field advantage they used to have at Lambeau.

14. Kenobi_1349

Kenobi_1349 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    NY knicks losing to the houston rockets in the nba finals.

15. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    The 1987 Blue Jays lost seven at the end of the season, narrowly missing the playoffs after an otherwise brilliant year. The worst was Manny Lee missing the ground ball that should have led to a double play to end a twelve inning battle in the second-last game of the year. They made up for it a few years later, but damn, that sucked. Friggin' Tigers...

16. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    - Ohio State's Elight Eight game against Michigan (the original Fab Five). OSU was was the #1 seed that year in the region and Michigan the #6 stunned us and ruined our Final Four hopes. (1992)

- Ohio State's loss to Michigan in 1995. It was Eddie George's Heisman year and we went into the game undefeated and had to win the game to make the Rose Bowl. Of course Michigan ended up demolishing us that day and ruined our title hopes.

- The 2007 BCS Title Game against Florida. Enough said.

- The Steelers' loss to the Chargers in the 1995 AFC Title Game, that was probably the Steelers most talented team of Cowher's era and its most brutal and devastating defense.

- The Steelers loss to New England in the 2005 AFC title game.

- The Pirates loss to the Braves in the 1992 (I believe it was that year) in game 7 of the NLCS in the bottom of the ninth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.