main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I was stating my opinion, my bad I'll check with you next time. :rolleyes: Of course the studios would not pass up the chance to make a quick half billion per picture.

2. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    AHEM!

Please, read theonering.net regularly. Then these kinds of things wouldn't have to be clarified for you.

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    lol...fans beat them to it with the Hunt for Gollum

4. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    One nerd website is all I can check regularly but thanks for the link.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    WTF? You made a comment, and asked you to expand / clarify / justify. Do you understand how discussion threads work?

6. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    :(

You make me sad. Come, Patsy!

7. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I read your reply as you making a pretty sarcastic response so I gave you one back. Going back and reading it again it wasn't at all and I apologize. JC + putting 3 year old to bed = not paying attention so well

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I really do wish they'd cut it down to one film.

9. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    O noes! :( I hope this won't mean another delay... And if del Toro backed out, I hope that PJ will step in and will direct the Hobbit films.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I really, really hope Jackson just steps in. At least that way they could keep all their pre-production work. If they bring in another director, they'll have to start from scratch.

I don't blame del Torro for backing out. 6 year is a long time to wait and give up the chance to work on other projects. This project is, really sadly, entering development hell.

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/31/36934-pj-may-direct-the-hobbit-2/

12. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Ye, I read that article...about....I guess eight hours ago now? Maybe seven? The point is, I already knew about it.:p

If you click the read more at the bottom of the article, it goes to an external source.

In the middle of that article, it says this:

And then, it goes on about this more after the history of the past articles.

So, chances are, he was referring to Tintin (which we've known about for years now) and Dambusters (as it notes he is one of the screenwriters, as well as because it is the project of his old friend from WETA, Christian Rivers. Tintin, as noted, is set to be released next year, so the second installment (which Jackson is directing) is more than likely going to be shot shortly after that release and box-office returns start coming in (probably in Spring 2012, based on the first movie's release date). Dambusters is kind of up in the air, it seems. I doubt Mortal Engines or His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade and Black Powder War, are solid enough at this point to be real threats to Jackson directing The Hobbit.

Now that we know with near-certainty that The Hobbit probably won't start shooting until this November at the earliest, even if a new director is found posthaste, it doesn't look good for Jackson's directing prospects, as it will probably take about two years (by my estimate) for the first film to be released, which means it would need another year for the second installment, if we go by the LotR productions. Is Jackson an amazing director? I think so, at least most of the time. Can he direct and manage both Hobbit films AND the second Tintin film at the same time, all three of which are sure to be blockbusters requiring tons of time individually? I doubt it.

To be honest, the departure of Del Toro saddens me a lot, coupled with the fact that Jackson probably can't direct it either. I had really started to believe in Del Toro, and I always believed in Jackson, and I'm going to have a hard time accepting anyone other than those two helming the project. The only other (living) directors that seem to be kind of in that same vein to me are maybe Ridley Scott, David Fincher, J.J. Abrams, and Richard Attenborough. And I really think the films should NOT be directed by someone from the U.S. or Canada....so that eliminates Abrams and Fincher. I'd adore Attenbor

13. DarthNotsonice

DarthNotsonice Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2005
    That's what Bakshi did and we see how well that turned out.
    Though in his defense,there are segements of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    that are lifted shot for shot from the Bakshi edition.[face_thinking]

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  15. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    The Hobbit movie is entering the same category as the Star Wars live action TV series and the second coming of Jesus.

I'll believe it when I see it. :p

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow he really looks the part!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I have to agree. Looks like a younger Ian Holm.

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    That photo is a bit dated, it's from the 1996 Doctor Who TV film.

This is from a DW Confidential episode from 2005, so it's more recent:

[image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c251/Tauriel/mccoy_confidential.jpg]

19. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Yeah I was going to say that pic was old, but the DWC pic only enforces how similar he looks. Works for me.

20. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm all for olderness but if that second photo is accurate, then DO NOT WANT. He looks too old there, in the sickly way of being old, not the healthy/happy way that a hobbit should be old. Wasn't Bilbo supposed to only be 50 anyways?

21. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Make-up and performance can go a long way these days.

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    He is perfect.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I really hope this will finally go through.

25. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't know where that rumour about McCoy playing Bilbo came from, I'd heard that they wanted him for Radagast the Brown.