main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    With Everton at TolkienCon in Prague.

What nerdy Tolkien-related thing did you do today? :-B

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Ummm...I hummed Misty Mountains Cold to myself as I walked my newspaper route this morning!

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Finally got to sete the movie last night. Saw hfr 3d and it looked fine. Didn't look fake, didnt look like a BBQ drama, didn't look sped up. Looked lovely and crisp and clear. So, I dare say most non movie buff nerds will have the same reaction.

Glad we didn't take the kids though, too many slow parts for them, they'll be better suited to seeing it on DVD when it can be watched over a couple of sessions. So dunno if the kids book translates that we'll to a kids movie. Also pretty gory in places, but that's what you expect from PJ.

Does it deviate from the book much, it's been 30 years since I read it?

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Couldn't agree with you more about hfr 3d.

It embellishes the visuals mostly, makes more of the Goblin cave than necessary, invents plot details for Rivendell, brings in ancillary material from other Middle Earth materials, and imports a special adversary for Thorin in a somewhat frustrating manner. But it comes close to the spirit of the book in many parts.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    BBQ drama!? Thanks autocorrect...

NYCitygurl likes this.
  7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The thing about regular people and HFR is that I've heard both extremes. Basically the people I know who've seen it that way not on purpose but just because it happened to be the showtime they wanted either:

1) Like jp-30, somehow didn't notice the fast-forward look of HFR because they are evidently blind :p
    2) Really disliked the look of the film but didn't know why it looked that way because they don't know about HFR

I am totally baffled by people who don't at least see the difference in motion effect. This isn't something minor that I only notice because I'm a filmmaker. I noticed these sorts of sped-up smoothing effects on HDTV smooth motion or posts modes before I ever went to film school, and they always drove me insane. Darth Guy will back me up on this. He's never been a film student. I mean, it's one thing to notice it and just not care. But it's entirely another to claim not to see it at all. It just doesn't seem possible to me. It would be like not noticing the difference between HD and SD. I think some of you old people must have bad eyes :p

Yeah I enjoyed hearing your thoughts, Chris, but I think we can both agree that internet discussion where people are opposed and repeat themselves over and over for pages are stupid Just wanted to get both our arguments out there and I think we did that.

In response to that one point (and a bit gleefully, because you said punters and that's one of my very favorite Brit slangs :p)... Well, note what I said above. Some regular folks I know disliked it. Some didn't notice (somehow). But wouldn't not noticing mean the exact opposite of your point? If most people don't notice it, what on earth is the point of spending so much extra time and money on it, forcing theatres to buy expensive projector upgrades they'll never use except for these films, and making the 2D 24fps version forever visually inferior to what it would have been if they'd just shot it that way to begin with? (Not to mention, they should have shot film instead of digital, and if they really wanted to shoot digital they should have left off 3D and shot on the far superior Alexa so it would look much closer to LotR).

In the end, it just strikes me as really distracting for some viewers at worse and totally unnecessary for other viewers at best. I just don't see enough people knowing about it, seeking it out, and actively liking the different look for it to make any sense to have shot it that way or to shoot anything else that way. And as both SLG and I have pointed out, people in the film and CG industry really don't like the look on the whole. Unfortunately for you, this has definitely been considered a failed experiment by filmmakers.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Are there differences in the HFR 3d projectors?

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The only odd thing I saw was a purple tint where it shouldn't have been, once near the start in Gandalf's beard, and again later, maybe in the white Warg's fur.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I noticed the weird motion effect easily. I didn't intuitively know what was causing it, but once I looked it up I was able to turn the ****ing thing off. :p It's also really obvious in old BBC video.

12. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Sang my own version of the Song of Nimrodel, and learned yet another bit of the full verse of Misty Mountains Cold. And lest you be puzzled, by "learning", I do mean "by heart"...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    IIRC nothing was excised from the book. The movie just added a bunch of extra stuff, like old Bilbo, Radagast, the warg chase in the plains, Azog (who was in the book, but not in this fashion), Galadriel and Saruman.

jp-30 likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So is AUJ expected to win any of its three Oscar noms? I'm thinking it has a shot at VFX.

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    My car is silver and named Shadowfax. I had about 3 hours of driving errands to do today for my niece's birthday tomorrow, so, as I always do on long drives, before I begin driving, I say "Fly, Shadowfax. Show us the meaning of haste."

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I continued to live in New Zealand.

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    will your wedding be steampunk themed? you seem like you'd like a steampunk wedding

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    My car is a blue Fit, which really can fit an insane amount of junk in spite of its apparently small size on the outside. I'm guessing you can figure out what I call it :p

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Fisted?

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    We're not talking about you and your sheep, japes. Silly Kiwis.

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So it's smaller on the outside? ;)

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I killed a dwarf.

jp-30 likes this.
  23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    When my first son was very little, he had these giant poops that were really hard for him to unload. I called them "Balrogs," in honor of their inability to pass.

24. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    So its Mr. Weasley's car? :p

NYCitygurl likes this.
  25. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I posted in this thread

Force Smuggler likes this.