main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Dec 18, 2007.

1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    With today's announcement, one of my first questions, aside from how the egos of Mr. Jackson and his New Line friends are doing, was, of course, will Howard Shore be writing the score for these "prequels"?

2. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    He damn well better. :)

3. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I wouldn't call it a lock considering Jackson is only producing at this point. I sincerely hope Shore comes back, though.

4. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Even if Jackson doesn't direct, considering the absolute joy Shore seems to have for writing the music of Middle Earth, I can't imagine him saying no.

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    You'd think that with the huge success of the LOTR films that they will want to promote the "prequel" continuity with them. It only makes sense to have Shore writing score for the new films. Certainly, there are themes from LOTR that can be used - Hobbits, the Ring themes, etc.

But you never know. Schedules or finances or egos or unforeseen circumstances can get in the way.

6. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Oh I don't doubt he would come back in an instant, I just wonder if it's a certainty he'll be asked.

EDIT: Maybe my worries are unfounded after all. From Doug Adams' LOTR music blog:

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I for one hope to god that Shore scores the Hobbit films.

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Well I don't see a reason why Jackson's recent ego would get in the way of Shore writing the score. If anything Shore should hate Jackson now because of the King Kong score

CloneTrooperFox likes this.
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That is ridiculous. Where is the proof that Jackson has some huge ego now? There is also no reason to say that Shore might hate Jackson now. Everything around the score issues for King Kong said both parties still like and respect one another, there was just an artistic difference on how the score should be.

10. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Friends fight and have their differences. I'm with Strilo, I doubt there is much lingering contempt between the two.

"Hug it out"

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah exactly. So assuming Shore will be back, what themes do we think will be returning from LOTR?

12. SithLord_Danny

SithLord_Danny Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2007
    How about John Williams taking a crack at it?
    At least for one movie...
    I thought he did an amazing job for the Star Wars prequels even though the scores themselves were badly edited.
    This could be a way for Williams to expand into another major saga that isn't Star Wars.
    Just a thought....[face_peace]

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Under no circumstances should John Williams score these films. They are for Howard Shore only, in my opinion.

14. Trentman359

Trentman359 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    If Horner and Cameron can make up so can Shore and Jackson.

15. SithLord_Danny

SithLord_Danny Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2007
    Why do you say that?

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Because Howard Shore created the musical sound for Middle Earth and the palette of themes for the various elements, characters, races and places. Despite my view of Williams as the best film score composer out there, I do not believe he is the right choice for this project. Shore is.

17. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    If John Williams were to score this I would throw a fit. The music for Middle Earth is uniquely Howard Shore, and though I don't doubt Williams could do a semi-decent job on the Hobbit, it wouldn't be the same. The orchestration, instrumentation, development and application of themes, as well as overall tone would be totally different, which would not only distance this movie from the other three, but create the illusion that The Hobbit is in no way tied to The Lord of the Rings. The only person for this job is Shore, he knows it, Jackson knows it, and the studios know it as well.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree 110%.

19. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Seconded. As you guys have said, the soundscape for Middle Earth is very unique. Good as Williams is, he would be the wrong choice for this project.

20. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm pretty sure that when your average film-goer thinks of Lord of the Rings, they immediately recall some sweeping crane or helicopter shot with Shore's choral and brass work in the background. If The Hobbit had neither of these, it would be a complete disconnect with the success of LoTR. It'd be like having Indy 4 directed by James Cameron or Robert Zemeckis - close, but just not quite right.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Actually it would be a lot like someone else doing the score for Indy IV...

22. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    True. However, to the average cinema-goer, it could be covered up a lot more easily simply by repeating the Raiders March a lot. LoTR doesn't have that ubiquitous theme which defines the series. It's more a general tonal palette and feel that makes the scores so effective and recognisable.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You mean like the public wouldn't know they changed composers for the Harry Potter films if they just rely on Hedwig's theme? Yeah people noticed the musical change. Even people I know who never care about film music noticed. People would notice if they got someone else to do the Indy IV score.

24. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Maybe. The Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings films are much more recent, so a musical change will more likely be noticed with the public only seeing the films 2-3 years ago. Indy however has been absent since the late 80's; more than enough time for the music to leave the general public's consciousness.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh for chrissake it was just an example. Does it really need to be subjected to the third degree? Shore should do the damn Hobbit film and that's all there is to say.