main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Imperial Knights Fan Club - Discussing Legacy -- War!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Mar 4, 2007.

1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Legacy 35 stuff:
    Anyone else think the hooded figure that Roan Fel was talking to in #35 Sia Fel?

2. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    Actually I was more thinking it might be Azalyn or Roan has some more issues with the dark side than we know of...

I was also disappointed with his reaction, he has loyal supporters, who would to everything for him as long as it's not the dark side, so why needing willing monsters so desperatly?

3. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Hmmm, interesting so the timing of the sequences was possibly off? I think that would be a little confusing. I'll have to go back and look at that. I agree it could be a brush with the dark side, but the way the person was talking it seemed like they didn't think it was possible to infiltrate the Sith, so it couldn't be a sith then, right?

4. Cem_Fel

Mar 14, 2006
    I don't think the timing of the sequences has to be off. She could have contacted her Emperor before even Cade came to see her. She was already mad at him, I don't think she had any desire to stay and someone has contacted them to get Azalyn.
    I agree about being not a Sith, at least not one loyal to Krayt. But now that I'm thinking about it, could it be Nyna?

5. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Oh wow! So what would she have done to get out of his good graces? I actually like the idea that it is Nyna because that adds another layer to her. Hmm...good thoughts!

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm of the opinion that Fel is testing Draco - he wants to trip up him. But I'm also of the opinion that Fel has yet to do anything remarkably evil. Necessary, so far - Krayt's Sith Empire is potentially stronger than anything we've seen before. The Emperor has to take necessary steps to save the galaxy. He's willing to damn himself to spite the Sith.

7. Cem_Fel

Mar 14, 2006

Azalyn? Fel was so mad about the loss of the Muur Talisman, he blamed Ganner and Antares, too. I don't think it would be too far-streched to assume, he was disappointed in her, too. Especially considering the fact she was against not destroying the talisman from the very beginning. And probably more involved in getting the talisman destroyed than Ganner or Antares. She would have had a better chance in talking Cade out of destroying the talisman than everyone else.
    Yeah, it would make her even more interesting, especially her motives. Nyna is one of the most confusing characters to me, I just don't get why she is doing, what she is doing.
    Thank you :)

8. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I interrupt this wonderful discussion for a Sinre Approved message:

The EUCity Database, as you might know if you have been reading the thread, is now open to the public. What that means for you, is that you are now able to create articles on your own Imperial Knight Characters and Organizational info. You are encouraged to do so, and perhaps even more - if you see another use for it, perhaps for another fan club you are in, go for it!

9. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    *an Imperial Knight, long absent, returns*

I missed this place. Most of the other places I've been part of faded away. This one stayed. Is heartening. :D

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hey Ril! Welcome back.

Everyone read Legacy #36 yet?

Fenel is... a barve. Stazi is... remarkably likable. I'm still supporting Emperor Fel. He's a pragmatist, and there's nothing wrong with pragmatism. It didn't do anything to Kreia, Vergere or Jacen Solo, I note.

:p

11. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Yes, that's what worries me. SW has a dreadful history with pragmatists. They aren't pure idealists, so naturally they have to become or be revealed to be eeeeevil. Because of course the guy who's willing to actually do the difficult things is just waiting to become a cackling, baby-eating maniac. :rolleyes:

I definitely hope they decide to keep the Fel Empire and Roan Fel as good guys. Turning them into villains would leave a very bad taste in my mouth. It'd be like a callback to black and white morality, one set of good guys vs 'the baddies' and don't you dare do anything a saint wouldn't or you're doomed to be the bad guy.

I've rather liked that the Legacy era has thus far had two good sides that way, and that they do still do things differently without getting slammed for it. I'll be very disappointed if that changes.

On a lighter note, Fel may indeed be a pragmatist. He is also, however, a pragmatist who keeps himself in very good shape for his age... :D

12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Does Ril have a crush? :p

I don't mind if he becomes the villain later, actually. Pellaeon only signed the treaty because it was pragmatic, and only supported the GA because the Remnant wasn't strong enough to survive alone. As long as he doesn't become a foam-at-the-mouth kinda villain I don't really mind. He's pragmatic, but not evil.

13. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    A crush? Hardly.

I just appreciate good form where it turns up. :p On the other hand, I think my Imperial dedication just went up a notch. He's very inspiring. :p
    [face_thinking] I bet his Knights have a similar exercise regimen... :D

And that's what I'm worried about, Sinre, that they'll have him do the swift slide into actual evil. I could tolerate him being set as villain. I would be highly annoyed if it was decided he needed to become a complete monster in the process.

14. Zandoran_Celix

Zandoran_Celix Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I received my box set of volumes one two and three of Legacy TPB.

Haven't read them yet though.

15. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
  16. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    Sey: I don't think Sia is the contact. I just don't see them taking that kind of security risk with her. Plus, there was Roan's comment, "My Imperial Knights tell me..." I don't think that's how he would refer to Ganner/Antares if he were adressesing Marasiah, unless, of course, it's to keep her cover.

Amon_Amarth

I am slightly disappointed by Roan Fel. He's angry at the report by Draco and Krieg and after hearing how awful and dangerous Rakhghouls were, he simply says: "Mostrosities who would have obeyed my command!" I don't know, I expected more of him. Surely if he was such a wise man he would have understood how foolish and dangerous would be to try and control them. His thinking borders with Dark Side. [face_plain]

Why I don't necessarily agree with using Rakhghouls against anyone, even those loyal to the Sith, I think it's important to not see this issue in simple moralistic terms. Fel is fighting a war in which he's barely hanging on, certainly was barely hanging on before the alliance with Stazi and vice-versa.

He is pragmatic - if obtaining the talisman would end the war and save thousands of lives, then, as an Emperor would he not be bound to at least consider it - and want to see it? o_O Maybe he would have decided to use it maybe he wouldn't have, but I think he had an obligation to at least check it out.

I've sat back and watched for a couple of years now without commenting a whole lot and what I've noticed about the criticism with Roan is that it typically falls into two catagories.

They are disappointed because the charachter is not what they thought he would be, and I think that's a legitimate critisim. Some people, I think, expected Fel to be a saint or a Jedi, and have those value codes, when he is neither... and was never meant to be.

I think when you view the character as what he was intended to be... a pragmatic Emperor who is in a fight for his life (quite literally) and is the only thing standing in Krayt's way, you start to have a different look on the character.

But, yes, he is different than what I thought he would be as well. Hell, he's different now than he was at the beginning of Legacy. In Legacy 8 he allowed Calixte to live when he could have easily killed her and would have been justified in doing it because she did betray the rightful and legal government... but he allows her to live. Seven years later we see a very, very different Roan Fel, it drives home his comment in the lates issues about becoming what we must to survive.

I'm not saying that I have agreed with all his decisions or that I'll agree with everything he does in the future - the chances are that I won't. I'm saying that I can see why the character is the way he is and does some of the things that he does, and no... I don't think he's dark or even really on the line. I think The Maker has been clear on that, and I see no evidence to the contrary. [face_peace] Not at this point.

In the constant critique and harsh critisism of Roan Fel and his every movement, thought and word let's not forget that it is in fact Krayt and his minions (who take very little, IF ANY critisism from the people who continually berate Roan) that are evil and have committed genocide. Please.

I think when you look at Ro as what he was meant to be.. a hard pragmatic, unemotional, disciplined, high-powered manipulative, polictiacl monarch - I think you'll find that the character functions quite nicely and fits very well into the overall themes of Legacy. I'm not saying he's a 'good' guy - I'm saying he fulfills the purose that he seems to have been written for. [face_peace]

The other group that I've observed that tend to lash-out at Roan and Marasiah continually and call them everything but a child of the Force are discontented 'shippers who are upset that Jag got the girl and their guy didn't. They're so angry and upset about it that they take it out on Roan and Sia. This critisism I do not find legitimate and try to completely

17. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    Sorry, double post. :oops:

18. carr3107

carr3107 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2008
    A lot of the criticism of
    Legacy in general seems to come from people who want their stories black and white. Legacy is anything but black and white. That's kind of the point, and Roan is the grayest of the gray. Beyond that, Roan may not be evil, but he's not a nice guy.

Call it the Oprah effect. We want all of our leaders to be as cold blooded as they need to be, but also nice enough to kiss babies and help old ladies cross the street. I suspect the people who actually run wars are not nice people, even in our modern age.

19. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Hey, what's up everyone?

Evil.

20. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Piper, Carr, I hope those comments of yours are excluding my post from the ones you're reacting to. Because if not, you'd be lumping me in with the opposite side. I think I'll simplify my viewpoint down a bit, see if it sounds more coherent.

I like Roan Fel.
    I like his pragmatism.
    I like shades of grey.

Star Wars has not in past been good to pragmatists.
    Star Wars tends to make pragmatists go evil.
    Star Wars has very often had that black and white mentality.

I don't want Roan Fel to be made a puppy-kicking monster just because he's pragmatic.
    I don't want a return to black and white morality.
    I don't want Roan Fel to be forced into the 'evil' role because he's not being constantly nice.

In short, I like him as he is, but our fandom has a bad history with folk like Fel, and I am watching very warily to see if Legacy can act in spite of that history, or whether it'll slide back into the old style.

Does that explain things sufficiently? I'm not against Fel. Instead, I'm just worried for what will be done to his character. ;)

21. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    What? No love for your IK rep in the tourney? :p

22. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I have been AWOL for a long time, but I jsut realized. technically I am still a proud member of this order.

Less formaly: Hey everybody.

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I think I've officially discarded the numbers for Legacy. Too few IKs. Though I suppose it could be retconned that there were hundreds pre-coup?

24. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    That might be the case, Sinre.

*nudges thread back to life*

25. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Ah this thread definitely needed new life. Thanks, Rilwen!