main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Jade Prophecy - L/M, H/L Thank you to the readers!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LadyPadme, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    :eek: :eek: :eek: OH my GOD!!!

When I saw the title ... well I've never thought that it was the end of this!! :eek: :_|

Ok, this was an excelent post.. and an excelent story... And LadyPadme , I'll be here, waiting for the sequel ;)

2. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Mara left the infirmary with a satchel in which she carried all her belongings. The bag was pitifully small.
    Wow. Quite a statement, isn?t it? Poor Mara? And for the second time, since it doesn?t sound like she got to take much with her after the Emperor died? Tough stuff. :(

?We?re friends, Mara. And friends look out for each other. That?s why.?
    Bawk! Bawk! Bawk!

That is the sound of me calling Luke a chicken for not telling Mara how he really feels. :mad: :mad: Not that she?d take it well (externally, at least), but still. He?s a Jedi Knight ? he can handle a little surprise on her part. (Not that she?d be surprised if she really let herself admit how she feels?)

Oh well. It?s more evil this way. [face_mischief]

A thousand things she wanted to say to him welled up in her chest, and she was able to say none of them
    *shakes head* Leia, Leia, Leia. And I thought your twin brother was a dope? :(

?Then I think we?ll get along just fine, Mara.?
    Somehow I don?t think it?s quite that simple. :p

Hey, Lexie, was that evil enough for you?
    Hmm? No. :eek:

Honestly, I think the ending of Convalescence is more evil than this. Sorry. ;) Han and Leia may be miserable, but Luke and Mara are on the right (SLOW :mad: ) track. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 7. :p

It?s been a long, downward spiral, painful perhaps, but I hope believable, and in some ways enjoyable.
    Definitely. Very enjoyable. I love reading a good fic about angst and torment for our heroes. Sure, happy endings are nice ? but not necessary. As far as H/L go, I?ll just reiterate what I said a few posts ago ? the fact that Han considering cheating on Leia was not out of character is a testament to your ability to craft a believable plot for the readers. We all bought into the fact that Han was in that kind of place emotionally that he was capable of acting that way. Sure, there was outrage that you took him there ? but the outrage was because it was so credible. If it weren?t credible, we?d just have laughed it off as outrageous. It wasn?t outrageous.

As for L/M ? I?ve said before that I think your interpretation of Luke and Mara, both individually and together, is some of the best I?ve ever read, profic or fanfic. You write Luke with such grace and class, yet with the farmboy earnestness we all love. You write Mara as a true spitfire with the dark wit, yet full of honor and integrity. Her path from Emperor?s Hand to aspiring Jedi is as believable here (if not more so) than canon. If only you'd let them fall in love at a less glacial pace... [face_laugh]

Wonderful fic. I?ll be waiting with much anticipation for the sequel. :D

3. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Good stuff! The story has been totaly amazing and I can't WAIT for the next installment...can you do me a favor and drop me a PM when you start posting? I don't check the boards as often as I should :(. Anyway, great job with this and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more from you!

4. Peregrine7

Peregrine7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2003
    Hokey smokes! What a cliffhanger!

Definitely looking forward to the sequel...

5. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    That was such an evil ending.

Well done, and the sequel looks even better.......

6. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    :d Great Ending!!!
    YEAY!! more fics from LP!!! The new fic looks very cool, count me IN LP!
    But, you assasined Mon Mothma?! Wow, that takes guts.... after what your doing to H/L... ;)
    The snippet looks cool and gives us the H/L fans a bit of hope!
    GREAT WORK!
    see ya around,

DM

7. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    Whoa, great ending! Great insight into Mara's head. Except she shoulda given Luke a great smacker of a kiss for his send off. He's going off into Sith knows what.

And Han & Leia, oooooh. great use of GWTW whose ending is great - Scarlett will get Rhett back, maybe not like that so-so sequel book described, but hey, she is Scarlett after all.

It was a great chapter/ending/segue because you didn't make it an "easy" too-quick reconciliation between them all. It was realistic and painful.

thanks for the lovely story, LP. Soooo sorry to hear about your computer virus probs. Looking forward to the sequel...

8. JainaPadmeJade

JainaPadmeJade Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 20, 2002
    *cries*

Aaaw!! That was so sad!!!! Now I'll never know if they come back or not!! Mara crying made me cry. And Han and Leia should have said more. Enerything that eneryone said in their minds they should have said out loud!

GWTW is a good movie!!

I was glad to be a reader to this fic!! I hope to read more of your work in the future!

[Leia/Scarlet] Tommorow, there's always tomorrow [/l/s v]

or something like that :p I dont know the movie as well as my mom does.

*cues ending music*

9. QueenOfAces

QueenOfAces Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2003
    Hello again, LadyPadme: I've been lurking in this story for awhile, always intending to write comments, but never quite finding the time. Since this is the end, I thought I owed you a nice comment.

I'm not a huge Mara/Luke fan, but you wrote them in such an interesting way that I enjoyed the budding romance between them.

As for Han and Leia, knowing your reputation for evil ;), it doesn't surprise me that you left them without a happy ending (though I never figured you'd end the story at this point). I can't say that I really LIKED the problems you forced upon my favorite characters (or the way they handled them), but you certainly showed how pride and sheer stubbornness can fracture strong relationships. It definitely piques my interest for the next one--what happens when the irresistable force meets the immovable object?

I guess we'll find out later. Thanks for a great read, and I look forward to seeing where you will take your audience for the next ride!

10. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    *finishes her 3 day marathon reading of this and All's fair in Love and War* *mouth drops as she realizes that that was the end*
    Darn, and I really really like these two! Some of the ebst fanfiction i've read. Can't wait to read the next one!

:Targeter:

11. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    Well, I must say that I am surprised that the story ended so abruptly. But, I guess it's a chapter in a larger saga.

Luke and Mara's parting was definitely more emotional than Han and Leia's. You know, Han always seems to look down on himself as some low-life scum. Why doesn't he try and make some changes in his life if he always feels like he can't measure up? Of course, his actions in the Lower Levels definitely reinforced things there.

Did Chewie get some kind of military recall notice, or is he just sticking with Han? I'm curious about this. Does he have any military rank, or status? Is he part of a chain of command so he can legally issue orders to troops in the field? If captured, would he be allowed the legal protection of being classed as a Prisoner of War? What about his family on the Kashyyk? Would they get any type of pension or survivor benefits if something happened to him? It just seems that if Chewie is going off with Han into battle, he should be allowed full military rank and pay.

I was really looking forward to scenes of Mara and Leia getting used to living together. It's actually good that Leia has her there now. It's someone to talk to, who can understand what she's going through.

Any chance Leia might receive a spectral visit from Anakin at some point? That might just ease some of her feelings about losing everyone.

Wow, someone whacked (to use the vernacular of New Jersey) Mon Mothma. That can't help the stability in the Senate. It might be Fey'lya, but I doubt it. It's not his style to do something that dumb and violent. I think it's Tauro's agents hoping to destabalize the political situation by having a power struggle within the Senate.

A Gone With the Wind ending, huh? I've always failed to see what was so great about that film. It was just Clark Gable, playing Clark Gable. And the plot was some type of glorification of slavery and the southern way of life.

I actually thought of another Civil War book when I read the end of this fic. I thought of John Jakes' North and South, where the first book ends with the outbreak of the Civil War, and characters say their goodbyes.

When will the next story be starting up?

12. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    TJM: GWTW is all about Scarlett O'Hara. She is only the greatest female heroine of all time. I instantly liked the character of Leia in Star Wars because she reminded me, in many ways, of Scarlett. And if you think that GWTW glorifies slavery and the southern way of life, then you must have missed the second half of the film. GWTW was the first truly great "chick flick". Again, it is all about Scarlett, and Vivien Leigh was amazing!

As for the end to this gloriously depressing, yet amazingly hopeful, story, I liked it. I'm not sure I like the prospect of Mon Mothma's asassination, because Leia will likely be in top consideration for the job of President, and I was kind of hoping this story would avoid her ever having to take that job. It puts too many constraints on what her character can and cannot do. Loved that violent/passionate little snippet of a future encounter between Han and Leia. The lack of context in which to place it has really piqued my interest. Sorry to hear about your computer. Those virus makers really like to target Windows. Looking forward to reading your sequel. :)

13. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    The End. :eek: That I was not expecting.

Great story. I enjoyed. This is one of the stories that produces my, *ahem* tendency to punish the characters on a regular basis. Hehe. :p

And before you ask. Yes, that's a good thing. At least to me it is. If you want to know, I'll send you a PM and explain. Though, I must warn you, very few understand my mind. I have trouble understanding it :p

Anyway. Awesome story and that teaser for Phoenix looks quite interesting. I can't wait.

:( Sorry about you losing those chapter. I can understand how you feel. For some unknown reason my computer seems to have deleted my completed story. I have to finish it out in a different file I have of it. :mad: Ticked me off.

And now. . . . One last punishment for the characters of The Jade Prophecy.
    Leia! You should have told Han you loved him! Luke! You should have told Mara you loved her! Mara! You're in love with Luke, tell him! Han! You are not some low life scum that can never reach Leia! You are her husband and you love her! Tell her!

Had to do that :p

14. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *giggle*
    Well, um, that was unexpected.

But awesome! After I revived BB, I couldn't stop laughing... And the excerpts are awesome. I can't wait until the sequel, but I'll be patient, I promise. I have to nurse BB back to health after the concussion he suffered from fainting here at school with me after reading "The End"

This story is simply beautiful! There is nothing to describe it, except I anxiously awaited every post, even if they were evil.

:)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A. Windsor

15. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    THE END??? :eek: THE END??? :_|

No! Nothing will make me loose my spirit...

It's snowing, here in Athens, :) and everything it's white. Something very rare, here, and I am going to enjoy every moment of it. There is even enough snow to make a snowman in my yard, something that reminds me of my childhood in a small Macedonian city in northen Greece.

So you can do whatever you like. I am in such a good mood that nothing can spoil it.

IT'S SNOWING! :) :) [face_love]

You could have them be separated for ever and I wouldn't mind... :cool:
    Of course this will last as long as the snow lasts. After that... :mad: You'll find out that New Jersey is not far enough from Greece. [face_devil]

To the post:

Luke and Mara were so sweet and leave enough hope for the future. Although Luke didn't tell her that he loved her and Mara didn't admit her feelings even to herself, the feelings are there.Evident! Bittersweet goodbye. I love it!

On the other hand, Han/Leia's farewell made me want to hit their thick heads. People can be so stupids sometimes... Even in the point that Han might never return they couldn't just come closer.

Gone with the wind's end made me feel the same. Although I must admit Miss O'Hara isn't one of my favorite heroines. I always felt that she needed it in some way. Something I can't tell for poor Leia.

Tha last scene with Mara/Leia is perfect. A perfect end for a perfect story. Sweet and bitter in the same time, sad and yet hopefull. I love it!

And a very interesting beginning for the sequel, my fiend. And with a very interesting title. Who is the Phoenix? The NR or H/L's relationship, or something else? Can't wait for it. I hope you will manage to start posting soon.

Meanwhile, hot chocolate and cookies for everyone. It suits us perfect, here, after an hour out in the snow! ;)

And of course more baklavas for you my lady! ;) And for the wondefull beta, your evil twin, ;) when she manages to escape the evil Callista's clone and fix her story... [face_devil] :p

16. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    Interesting.....a very unexpected but very ESB-esque bittersweet ending.

I will be waiting for the sequel. :)

17. Ireth_Tasartir

Ireth_Tasartir Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2003
    The end??? The end???? [face_shocked] :( :_|

But you're giving us a sequel...Yay!!! :D Can't wait for that...I'll be firt in line the minute you post that one ;)

You wrote a wonderful fic,I loved it even though sometimes I got angry at you for being so evil... :p

18. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *hugs LP* You did it! The whole beautiful, evil story done, and surprised the heck out of everyone with the last post. I'm so proud of you. :D

Luke nodded gravely. ?The nurse said it would take a while to recover from your injuries. She said weeks to months.?

Other people take that long, not Mara Jade, Mara thought a little irritably.

Very in character for Mara here, Jieh. :D

?You?you were waiting for me?? Mara fought down the confusing mixture of sensations that his words produced. On the one hand, she was surprised and idiotically pleased to know that Luke would wait for her, but on the other hand, she also felt a sudden surge of fear and concern again as she thought how she?d miss him when he was gone.

Poor Mara. Real emotions of any sort are still so foreign to her that she really doesn't know how to handle them. :(

Mara nodded and then stood awkwardly, not sure of what to say. She wanted to say things like: ?Take care of yourself? and ?I?ll miss you? but she couldn?t quite bring herself to utter the words out loud.

With his uncanny prescience, Luke was able to do it for her. ?Take care of yourself, Mara,? he said.

Jieh, those two little paragraphs do a marvelous job of summing up Luke and Mara's entire relationship. What is a weak area for one is a strong area for the other, and they depend on each other's strengths more than I think they'd admit. Beautiful job. :D

The sudden mention of death stilled Mara?s protests. Luke took advantage of the way her eyes suddenly widened to say, ?You and I know that I might never come back. Of course, I hope I do, but in case I don?t?please, Mara, give me the peace of mind to know that I?ve done what I can for you.?

The whole bit about Luke giving her that money is a wonderful touch of reality - what would Mara do otherwise, with absolutely no resources of her own? - and very, very nicely done. Mara's protests and Luke's insistence are very in character. :)

Mara leaned her cheek against his shoulder, as one hot tear escaped from her eye and soaked into the cloth of Luke?s uniform. It felt indescribably good to have him hold her and she found herself hugging him back, tightly.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

She was the Ice Princess again. And who was he but a lowlife scoundrel, a dreg of society who had fancied for a short while that he could be good enough for a highborn princess?

*sighs* I can see exactly why he feels that way. You've managed to put their relationship right back to where it was at Echo Base, Jieh - and I mean that in the best possible way, of course. ;)

It had been so long since she?d looked upon Han with that same sense of comfort and familiarity that she?d once had that she wondered if she was recalling a distant memory or conjuring up a figment of her imagination. And yet, she remembered once being able to go into Han?s arms as if by right, and to be able to feel his thoughts as though they were her own.

:_| :_| :_|

?Don?t get all mushy on me,? Han said, with a wry smile that could not quite hide the bitterness in his voice. ?So long, Princess.?

*grins madly* Do you remember way back when you started this story, and you told me it that whatever else happened in between, JP would end with Han saying that? You are so very admirably evil, Elder Sister. :D :D :D

Leia said nothing for a few moments, and then said unexpectedly, ?You miss him, don?t you??

Mara seemed taken aback by Leia?s frankness, and for a moment, a look of indignation crossed her features before Mara answered truthfully: ?Yes.?

But at that, Leia?s face softened. For some reason the thought that Mara would be sharing in her vigil ahead during the long months of the war brought balm to her soul, and gave her a sudden courage to go on.

And that is so perfect - Leia and Mara, despite everything that each is feeling and their natural aversion to the other, still manage to meet halfway, so that we know they won't actually kill each ot

19. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

* Sighs *

I'll really miss you while I'm rehabilitating the pages I lost. You guys are great readers and I appreciate all the interest and support you've given me. :)

GreatOne: Okay, here's the long version of why I lost the story:

My laptop has no floppy drive. It has a CD-ROM writer, but since our stack of recordable CDs are single write only, I didn't want to waste a bunch of CDs on multiple saves. The other method I had of saving was to log onto the internet and to send the file to my yahoo mail account, after which, I would download it to my desktop computer. But, my laptop computer got attacked with a vicious virus back in December that wrought havoc with it, and messed up my ability to access the internet from the laptop. Due to moving and six million other DRL problems, we weren't able to get around to cleaning out the laptop until last week. My husband thought I'd already made a CD-ROM backup of my files, but it had actually been a long time since my last backup, and well...you know the rest. :( Anyway, working on the sequel again. Hope to see you there.

Darth_Lex: * sighs * Not evil enough, eh? I'll have to work harder on the sequel :p

Thank you so much for your support on this story. I'm so flattered that you like my interpretation of the characters. You're the best! [face_love]

TKeira_Lea: * bows * Thank you so much. I'm so glad you liked it, and flattered that you took the time to read :)

jacen200015: Yes indeed. I did do it! :p

Jedi-2B: Answers to your questions: Yes, Luke had another lightsaber he took with him. And Mara will discover quite early on of H/L's estrangement.

And I hope to see you in the sequel. Thank you so much for reading :)

Jayden112233: Thanks for your interest and your condolences on my computer situation :p

Jedi_Liz: Well, I wanted a GWTW ending, but Leia isn't quite like Scarlett! But thanks for reading.

RebelMom: Before I wrote the last post, I only had one comment on GWTW! But then, you're very perceptive ;)

MattWindu: I didn't read North and South, but I watched the miniseries back a million years ago when it first aired on TV. I don't remember the end, just sort of remember my cousin having this huge crush on Patrick Swayze :)

Thanks for reading.

Rivad_Bacar: Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it.

kayladie97: Ummm...if you have TNT and USA, you can do what my husband and I do on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays: Watch Law and Order reruns up the wazoo! :D

Thank you, though. I'm so glad you liked it.

BriWindstar: * grins * I'm so glad this story gave you a chuckle, dearest. And I'm so flattered you liked the characterization :)

JediStarMoonstruck: :eek: You'll SUE????

....runs....

RogueSticks: Sweetie, you need to check your explosives stash. New Jersey is, unfortunately, still here :p

maramijade: Thank you so much for reading. As for Mon Mothma's successor...heh. heh. heh. [face_devil]

Reesie: Thank you for reading. And I'm so glad you liked the ending :)

jade51999: Thanks for reading. Hope to see you on the sequel.

Sock_of_Darth_Vader: HEY! :eek:

* grins * Thank you for reading.

LaYa_: Thank you so much for reading! It's been great having you along.

Miska: Thank you so much for reading. I'll try to remember to send the PM, although it may really be some time before this new story can get going. I lost 20,000 words of text in that memory wipe :_|

Peregrine7: Thank you for reading!

_3MD_PsychoSniper: Thank you so much for reading.

DarthMasan: Well, you'll have to be VERY patient about the snippet...

GirlJedi: I'm so glad you liked the ending, and thank you so much for reading.

JainaPadmeJade: Thank you so much for your interest and for reading :)

QueenofAces: Nice to see you hung through to the end. THank you! And hope to see you on the sequel!

CodeNameTargeter: Welcome to the story

20. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    we'll definitely be there....

A. Windsor and B. Bantha

21. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Hope to see all of you wonderful readers for the sequel!

Saber and I will definitely be there ;)

22. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    Luke should really be promoted up to General's rank himself.

He's got tons of combat experience. He has leadership ability. As well, his Jedi abilities will come in handy.

Still, I think that he could better serve the war effort by training and leading his Jedi on commando missions.

I know Chewie is going along to join the fight with Han. What I'm asking is, does Chewie have any official military rank and/or pay status on his own? If he's permanently injured, would he be granted a disability pension by the Rrepublic? etc

As Leia and Mara are living together while their menfolk are off at the front, does that mean that you're turning it from Gone With the Wing into Cold Mountain?

When will the next fic be up? I've got to warm up my Han-as-Homer ideas. :D

23. FreighterPilot

FreighterPilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    Thoughts:

1. There's no blaster or other assorted weaponry in Mara's satchel except her lightsabre? Weird.

2. Leia; you're an idiot.

3. What! No! There'd better be a sequel!

4. Oh, goody! A sequel!

5. Wow. I know I haven't responded nearly enough in this story, but DRL's got hold of me (check the timestamp on most of my posts if you don't believe me) and I can't seem to shake him. Anyway, it's been a superlative story, and I can't wait for the next one.

6. Speaking of the next one: thanks for killing off Mon Mothma (that is, if you really did kill her and she hasn't just been abducted to make really annoying clones from); I can't stand that woman. What I've read so far looks great!

7. DarthLex: your praise of our beloved author is both eloquent and succinct. Thanks for saying so well what I've wanted to say. Except for the parts about LP not being terribly evil--please don't tempt her to kill off Han, I haven't had my chance to play with him yet! :)

Until next time!
    FreighterPilot

24. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    I am sorry for your computer. We have the same problem just after we have rerurned from vacations in September and it was a big mess for a while. The only good thing it's that we manage to save our files, because if we didn't, I think that my husband would never allow any of us to have an internet access again. :( He has a lot of work there and he... :eek: well, I don't want to imagine that scenario.

I'll go to the hospital on Monday for another examination, something like checking the vascular systen on the kidney. I'll try to translate in English what they will say to me and send you a PM, and if you manage to understand, your opinion will be very wellcome, since there is still a different oponion between the nephrologist and the urologist about surgery. And this is very exasperating! :mad:

Can't wait for the sequel, I'll really miss you and your writing very much, my friend. When are you planning to start posting? I hope soon. :)

BTW, what's about betaing Gabri's sequel? You promised that it was written by Gabri herself and not that evil Callista's clone, right? ;)

Edit:
    My husband thought I'd already made a CD-ROM backup of my files, but it had actually been a long time since my last backup, and well...you know the rest.
    That is your huband's doing you mentioned in a previous post? Well if so, he deserves a lot more and I am in on planning. [face_devil]
    Snow is melting all the evil thoughts are returning to me. [face_devil]

And...we haven't yet had that girl's night out, have we?
    And the boys are all alone, since you've send them to war, while the girls are at home, so there is a great opportunity for us... [face_mischief] [face_love]
    Think about it! All alone, without the girls, in the middle of a war...
    What are you thinking Gabri about it? ;)

25. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    You know, Han always seems to look down on himself as some low-life scum. Why doesn't he try and make some changes in his life if he always feels like he can't measure up? Of course, his actions in the Lower Levels definitely reinforced things there. - TJM

Do you mind if I defend Han here, LP?

First all, Han HAS changed! A great deal! He is a General, a husband and a father. But the way he sees himself will probably always be with him. I read somewhere that people have their personalities set by the age of three, and that is the way they are for life. His family may not see him as a low-life scum, but Han will always fear that other people see him that way.

And as far as his actions in the lower levels. They did just the opposite, in my opinion. A low-life scum would have slept with that hooker, and not walked away. To me, that reinforces the fact that Han is a good person, and NOT a low life scum!

People make mistakes, TJM. It is a part of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.