main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Led Zeppelin Discussion and Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Short Round McFly, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I think about that time Punk music was beginning to dominate and Zep's style of long songs and stadium rock was not in style.

2. Meldien

Meldien Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Ok Stairway To Heaven is easily my favorite song of all time...Then Battle of Evermore and Misty Mountain Hop.
    So I'm a Tolkien fan, gimme a break ;)

*hums Stairway* :p

3. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

The problem with Led Zep after PG is that none of their stuff, save a couple like Nobody's Fault But Mine, lack any of the juvenile dexterity, passion, ambition and genius of their earlier stuff. I find the songs contrived after PG: however grand an achievement Achilles' Last Stand might be, I always find myself longing for the simplicity of Black Country Woman whenever I listen to the former.

4. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    I love simple songs like HEY HEY WHAT CAN I DO?. It's not on the albums unfortunately. It was a B-side single.

5. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    Zeppelin's cool. They were showing them in concert on AMC the other night. I must say that it was the first time I had ever seen anyone play an electric guitar with a violin string. While them being THE GREATEST band of all time is debatble, thier innovation creativity is not.

I still can't believe that Rober Plant is the same guy that sang that corney "Sea of Love" song in the 80's.

One thing I don't get is that they credit Zeppelin and Sabboth as being the forefathers of Heavy Metal. While Sabboth's influence is easily decerning, I just don't hear it with Zeppelin. I mean NO ONE even comes close to sounding anything like them that I know of.

6. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Whereas Black Sabbath brough to the fore what was becoming a genuine musical pashion amongst the Cockney and Brummie rockers, Led Zeppeling was more eclectic with their choice. Their interest in all things new age, mystical, religious, Eastern and Tolkien is the main influence in Heavy Metal and not the actual sound itself.

7. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    Oh, I see. So the sound, and rage came from Sabboth and the crosses, pentagrams and all that goes with that evolved from Zeppelin. Makes sense.

8. ClassicTrilogyFan

ClassicTrilogyFan Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2001
    Doesn't everyone learn to play guitar so they could play Led Zeppelin songs? That was the reason why I picked up a guitar. Indeed they are without a doubt one of the greatest and most influential bands of all time. They have been one of my favorite bands ever since I was a little kid listening to my brothers blast them on their stereo. I can't believe that someone actually had the audacity to mention Aerosmith in the same sentence as them!!

It's hard to pinpoint a favorite album but I think Zep 3 is worth mentioning because it was the first album that showed just how versatile the band was. I don't think they should be considered a "Heavy Metal" band even though they influenced a lot of metal bands. They were waay too versatile to fit into one category. I just bought The BBC Sessions a few months ago and it is also worth mentioning.

As for a favorite song, I think Rain Song ranks up at the top mainly because it is one of the few songs that I have yet to learn how to play correctly. That open tuning has me stumped!! It is also a beautiful piece of guitar playing by Jimmy Page. I also like Kashmir because up until that time and even up to this day no rock group has created such a unique sounding song. The way the group was able to pull off using Moroccan strings together with Robert Plant's powerful voice and Bonham's thunderous drumming will be forever etched in the memories of Rock fans forever and will never be duplicated.

9. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    I think Zeppelin III is important because if the fans hadn't heard that accoustic stuff first, they would never appreciated STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN. It paved the the way for it.

10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I think my favorite Zep albums are Led Zeppelin 2 and 4. Both amazing, and as it has been said before it'd be impossible for me to pick my top five or even top ten fave songs. But I can definitely say that Stairway, Travelling Riverside Blues and Ten Years Gone are up there.

Anyone have the Jimmy Page / Crowes live CDs ? They're pretty good, and Chris Robinson is pretty faithful to Robert Plant's sound.

11. jc_stratus

jc_stratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    Ok Stairway To Heaven is easily my favorite song of all time...Then Battle of Evermore and Misty Mountain Hop.

i love misty mountain hop! one of my favorites, but not as good as Black Dog and Over the hills and Far Away.

I think their best cd is Houses of the Holy,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.