main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Magic of Musicals - for lovers of shows on stage or screen: Revival of Sweeney Todd

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    It's actually kind of sad that there is a lack, when you remember the days where studios regularly sent their stars in for voice/dance lessons for their films. Granted, that was quite a while ago, when movie musicals were still big moneymakers and everyone was under contract to one studio or another, but it showed just how much importance Hollywood placed in regard to actors with the proper song and dance training.

I do like James Marsden. I could see him possibly pulling off Enjolras; it's a juicy enough supporting part with plenty of prominence in the middle of the story. What is his range, though? I'd like to hope that this would be one of the roles where they wouldn't resort to key lowering (if they do that at all).

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Clearly it seems that singing training is not so important in acting school as once it was.

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    2. The Book of Mormon (Broadway debut: 2011)

"Just how outrageous is this Mormon-missionaries tuner from the minds of South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone and Avenue Q writer Robert Lopez? There's a character called ''General Buttf---ing Naked.'' There's a song that translates to ''F--- You, God!'' Hitler makes an appearance. And a Mormon has a bible shoved in his rear. Laughing yet?"

4. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I have yet to see this, but it's #1 on my list of shows to see. I did get the album though and it's absolutely hilarious. At times reminiscent of the South Park Mormon episode and the Christian Rock episode, but it's very much its own creation.

I love the fact that the creators don't go for cheap laughs and target stuff like polygamy but actual made a clever, largely accurate, parody of the LDS Church.

Favorite songs include "You and Me (But Mostly Me)," "Man Up," and "I believe."

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I've heard good things about it, but I've yet to get around to listening to it.

I'm hoping to see the Phantom 25th Anniversary Concert live cinema screening on October 2nd, seeing as it is far cheaper than paying to see the show itself.

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    1. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (Broadway debut: 1962)

"Hilarity happens when a slave (played by Nathan Lane in the 1996 revival, pictured) tries to help his young master get off with a virginal neighbor in Stephen Sondheim's Plautus-inspired romp through ancient Rome, which is full of masquerades, mistaken identities, cross dressing, some extremely athletic courtesans, and one very funny funeral."

Yes, it's funny, but except for the title song, the score is dreary.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Everybody Ought to Have a Maid is a great song

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Don't remember that one.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The BBC Proms did a great rendition of the song during their Sondheim concert in 2010.

10. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I've never seen this one live, but I saw the movie around 12 times over the course of my high school Latin career. It was a pretty great movie to show us as we thought we were so clever to be able to pick up all the Latin puns sprinkled throughout. I remember finding it very enjoyable and pretty darn funny though I suppose I have to agree that the music is rather forgettable as the only songs I remember are the opening number and Miles Gloriosus' "My Bride" song.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    So, tomorrow beings the Phantom Anniversary show. The 3 performances at the Albert Hall are all sold out, as are the cinemas shwoing the live screenings. It was not easy to get a ticket, but I managed.

I see Matilda the Musical has come to London, I don't know much about it but the story is good so hopefully someone has managed to write good music & lyrics for it.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I know this was like three months ago, but I have to say James Marsden as Enjolras is great. I think he could do that. Enjolras seems to me, going off memory, to be a fairly low vocal part too, so he might be able to do it.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There is some good voice talent in a number of current Hollywood stars, doing more musical movies could be a realistic prospect now.

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Hugh Jackman in Aaron Sorkin's "Houdini"

Not very obvious casting; Houdini was a very short, very muscular Hungarian Jew with lots of curly hair. Jackman can supply the charisma, which he also had.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    New production of Sweeney Todd with Imelda Staunton and Michael BAll has been well recieved so far, I hope to go and see it soon.
    Matilda the Musical is up for 10 Olivier Awards, the most any show can be nominated for.

Apparently some members of the original cast of Les Miserables are being given parts in the movie version. Colm Wilkinson is set to play the Bishop of Digne.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    That looks interesting...