main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN The MSC/DSC 2004 Planning and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Jay: [Emperor Voice]Bring it before me and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete.[/Emperor Voice] I want that stick!!

Skip: Yeah, Dragon Dronet was probably the coolest guest they've had in the two years I've been to MSC. I hate that I missed his panel on Saturday, (I did catch the Friday night one), as well as pics with y'all. Unfortunately, I crashed and burned after too many sleepless hours spent costuming the previous couple of weeks. Maybe next time we can get some group pics. I doubt I'll worry with any new costuming, instead focusing my resources on getting to CIII and still having a few bucks to eat on. (I'll probably skip MSC completely next year. Every dollar spent there will be one less I have to spend in Indy.)

I meant to ask you- Did you do the Predator's skin out of latex?

Oh, and speaking of Dragon, I sent him an email thanking him for the DVD of Batman: Dead End and for coming to MSC. He responded as follows:

Thanks guys,

It was a pleasure to meet you and if you're ever in Hollywood, call first, but come and visit us at Renegade Effects. I'll give you the tour to end all tours!

See ya!

Dragon

What a cool dude!

2. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    yes that entire Pred was latex.
    i made the skin suit from layering liquid latex onto skin tight cotton clothes.layer and layer and layer until it becomes thick.oh,and you have to be wearing it while you do this!that way it shapes right to you.
    i know you guys spent alot of time on your costumes,but i lost count on the Pred when i went over 100 hours of labor.it took nearly a month to make the head.

I had wanted to make a pred costume but didnt think i could do it.when i saw DEADEND last year i knew it was time.i had some failed attempts at first but kept trying and once i got a few key parts to work out i was good to go.im pretty happy with the results.

the latex technique has opened my eyes to being able to possibly create other creatures now.ive got someone pushing me to make a gammorean guard.we'll see.

3. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Tim: Too cool! Glad you emailed him. One of these days I'm going to have to take a halloween off and head to CA to check out his place, Bob Burns' museum and haunt show, and some of the other pro-spfx houses. I believe Dragon said James Cameron does one!

Thanks again for you, Traci, and Rhonda doing all you did for this con- before, during, and after!

Skip: I think a prop/costume builing one (or two?) would be cool. Maybe the 501st could do a costuming basic (costuming 101, or should I say costuming 501?) and a more advanced one including sculpting, electronics (l.e.d's, sound, lasers, etc.), painting/weathering, latex, etc. I'd be glad to help out with any airbrushing, dry drushing, or sculpting demos.

A Gamorean Guard would be cool- with my body type that one has come to mind as a possiblity! Pred was kick a**, but you really need to get in there with an airbrush and play. He needs some 'liver spots' and a bit of shading to bring him to life. The sound effects on the staff/spear was a cool touch- I hope folks at the con got to hear it.

I know what you mean about 'skill levels'. Not only is Dragon good- he's fast as hell! There are times I wish I would have just packed up my old Dodge after high school and headed west! Just about all of the spfx folks I've met over the years have been some of the nicest and most creative people out there.

I'd love to see the MSC get folks like David Fisher/Amazing Figure Modeler Magazine involved with the con. He's really great at building and customizing kits and props. He lives in the Nashville area and has in-laws here in Memphis.

I'll be at MSC next year- I'm not letting a free pass go to waste! I just have to watch any extra spending...I don't want to be broke at C3!

4. TamboFett

TamboFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 8, 2003
    Had a blast in MSC this past weekend. I still can't belive Chad and I won best in show for the costume contest....It was the guitar playing I guess. This only means I have a free pass for next year and more fun to be had. The costumes you guys had this year were fantastic I especially like the Naboo pilot costume...very well done and different. All the jedi costumes also looked killer...wish I took a photo with you guys...what was I thinking?

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    The twin Bobas were great. We'll have to plan for group pics next year. I doubt that Tim and I will stay the whole weekend (saving $$ for Celebration III), but I'd like to come in costume on Saturday, at least.

Our daughters would probably love to have their pics made with you guys. My 2-yr old is a Vader fan - or "Darf Veeder," as she calls him, LOL. I'll make her a little classic Leia dress and teach her a couple of lines from ANH....she already has the attitude. ;)

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    And can cross her arms and say, "You can't see me!"

I hate I missed the Bobas on stage. At least I got to see Skip target Sheard from backstage!

Since I've got a 3-day pass, too I'll be there the whole weekend. I'll probably do the Jedi outfit earlier in the day. Don't know if I will change or not to be in the contest later that night. Depends on if I can think of something funny to do. I hate just walking out and doing a Vanna impression.

Must get more pics together next year! I don't know how many good shots I got of everybody else. I know I got a lot of the 501st at the costuming panel, and a few more at the contest. I didn't go costume hunting and candid shot hunting like I wanted.

Got a copy of Kev's pics on CD last night. I'll have mine back on Firday, but won't have them compiled until Monday/Tuesday. I'll try to go in and adjust the lighting and/or crop any that need it. I'l then get started on doctoring up the pics for the SMT members page.

7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'll have to see at the time about MSC its probably too for out to say either way. I know I'll definitely be saving for C3.

Every meeting I'm planning (two so far this month with over 15 people) will be staying at Marriott's, I'm going for the upgraded free room now! Whether they like it or NOT. [face_laugh]

8. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I just checked out "leeloo's" pics at the MSC forum. I think Tim C. has a fan. ;)

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Oooh, oooh, where?

10. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    MSC forum Con pic thread

Looks like we missed out on all the fun while we were out shopping for the Con suite on Saturday.

11. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I think Tim C. has a fan.

Either that or she's a Chewie fan. [face_laugh]

12. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Hmmm, I wonder if I should be worried? :) ugh, that one pic she took of me wasn't that good though.

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    She seemed to like it!

14. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Tim,

I sent an email to the writer of the artical in which he called us a Star Trek group. It was nice and polite and just informed him of the mistake and asking to refer to us as a Star Wars group in the future. I don't know if anyone else has sent him an email, but I thought I would anyway just in case. If I get a response, I will post it here(as long as it's not rated R) ;)

Chuck

15. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    Chuck I didn't see that article, which paper was it in? I read the one in Sundays commercial appeal about the con but didn't see where they mentioned us.

16. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    Just letting you guys know that I'm still alive, and that I'm very angry for missing MidSouth Con, even thought I knew I would. But guess what? I'm not able to go to the anime con now, either.

I would like to say several four-letter words about this, but I will refrain.

%(#$%!!!!! (*&^@~!!!! *&^^*&*#!!!!!

Okay. I feel better now.

It's kinda of interesting that the friends of mine who went to the con to get Martheus Wade's autograph for me spent a little while talking to him but didn't know that it was him! :p Oh well. There's always next year...hope he's there.

-Darth Grace*

17. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Actually, Martheus- or Antone/Wonton as I call him is interested in joining the group. I've been telling him about the Drive-In Nights and the other get togethers and he and his wife Janet would love to come hang out. I don't think it would take much to talk them into coming out for TIMMYCON!

Antone is a BIG Maul fan! Go figure...

18. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    Muahahahahaha!!

The evil coolness that is Maul is hard to not be a fan of! Okay...that kinda didn't make sense...

(In English)

Muahahahaha!
    Maul is so cool, only a dork wouldn't like him!

Much better.

-Darth Grace*

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I resemble that remark!

I'm going to have to start calling Antone 'Darth Martheus', or 'Darth MAW' (Martheus Antone Wade).

20. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    Hey Lin how hard would it be for you to air brush me a black t-shirt with the "scary tim"picture on it? I think that'd be really cool. How much would that cost me? I'd also like some thing clever on the back like, scary tim, or timpire, beware!. It'd be nice to have it before timmycon.

Hey Jay I made a sketch of the picture were me and you are doing the action pose with the lightsabers. It turned out pretty cool, but our faes don't really look like us. Give me a holla if you want a copy.

21. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I'm pretty much out of the t-shirt painting biz. Right now I wish I was out of the mural painting biz so I could stay home for the weekend!

22. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Well after a long delay I finally have gotten the time to come by and say "Hi" to y'all. It was good to finally meet SMT in the flesh. It's a shame that the TN FF chapters don't run into each other more. Perhaps a combined event is in order for the future.

In regards to the Newspaper that called y'all a Trek chapter, I have no idea which one it was, but I know it was a topic of interest in the 501st suites Saturday. Believe it was the PM edition of the Saturday paper. Y'all were mentioned in the first paragraph.

Thanks for having me at your suite and a place to hide from the 501st at 4 in the AM. Tim's drink making skills gave me my first taste of vodka, and may be my last. Lin, hope some of your artwork sold. Hope to see SMT again soon!

-Zach

23. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Stop by anytime!

I sold one cartoon. Cons have never been a big money maker for me, but then again I really have never put much effort behind it either.

A combined event in the future would be cool. I've got a lot of friends up that way so hopefully I'll see ya around.

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Zach: A combined event would be great. We'll have to see what we can come up with. That was your first taste of Vodka?? Leave it to the Bartending Emperor of the SMT to corrupt you. (I'm a vodka man- like my father before me.) I'll try to swing over to the Nashville boards soon.

25. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Quick, light the Martini-Signal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.