main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Muppets

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 24, 2011.

1. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Saw it earlier today and I loved it. Most of the celebrity cameos were great, Dave Grohl was my favorite.

The only Muppet I missed not being there was Rizzo. There were rats, but I didn't notice Rizzo being one of them specifically. :(

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    All I could hear was old-school Jim Henson. :p

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Really? I thought the "Muppet or a Man" song and the "Me Party" song were really blatantly FOTC-ish.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Opens here Jan 1, I think I can hold out that long and not ask my Aunt to send me a vhs.

5. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    A rough percentage is the arbiter of all quality.

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I recently watched A Muppet Christmas Carol for the first time in years. It's a fantastic movie. Brilliant performances, hilarious jokes. But despite being a great movie the songs in the film were not all that good, apart from one stand out example. Just listen to Michael Caine try to sing at the end of the film. He gives a brilliant performance as Scrooge throughout the entire film but that bit is almost painful.

My point is, if the music itself is great and sung well I don't mind it not completely fitting the aesthetic of the movie. The music is not what drew me to the movies in the past.

7. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Admittedly those were the least Henson of the bunch, but hearing "Life's a Happy Song", "Pictures in my head" various other smaller cues took me right back to when I was a kid watching the old Muppet movies. It does help that a handful of material is either directly lifted from Henson performances (Rainbow Connection, Mahna Mahna) or in the spirit of what The Muppet Show used to do with popular music (Smells Like Teen Spirit, Forget You).

Maybe its just me but the whole thing felt like a classic Muppet film, particularly the music.

8. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Chewgumma - I confess I haven't rewatched the Muppet Christmas Carol lately, but there are some great songs in the original movies, IMO (Rainbow Connection, Movin' Right Along, Together Again, off the top of my head)

Spider-Fan - Yeah, the Smells Like Teen Spirit bit was one of my favorite parts, the tone was definitely right. And Life's A Happy Song was on point too. I was just extremely distracted by those two examples and some others to the point that they made the movie feel incongruous to me. On further reflection if I wasn't already an FOTC fan and familiar with their style, I probably wouldn't have had a problem with it, and I do love both of those songs on their own.

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Most magical part of our screening?

Minus that the audience was mostly adults, when they started singing Rainbow Connection, our audience did too.

10. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I would love to go to a screening of this where the audience sings along with the film. Sadly my theater was mostly filled with children shouting and crying.

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This is why there should be adults only screenings of children's films (or film's that kids will go and see in their droves). I just can't bring myself to see any Pixar film at the cinema because I fear I would explode out of sheer annoyance.

12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Well I made the mistake of going to an earlier screening of the film last night, because I had to work early today. This isn't generally a problem I have to deal with when I go for a later screening.

13. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I felt like a kid again watching the film. Reminded me of the shows when I was a kid. I am one of the few here that saw that saw them originally.
    I like the travel by map part and Dave Grohl's appearance.

Oh and Kermit's final speech in the muppet theatre was beautiful and honestly it felt like Jim was talking after all these years.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The misses and I went to see this today. Absolutely loved it. We laughed, we cried, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. It was just the right mix of nostalgia and new.

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    o_O

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    There's a "Old" comment to be made here...

17. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    We might be old but we are timeless.

18. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Saw it on Thanksgiving and I thought it was fantastic. I've never laughed so hard in the theaters, and it was a lot of fun.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    While I actually loved the majority of the film and found countless moments to be quite humorous, my sole favored bit was when Chef blowtorched all the moldy, rotting, singing food Muppets in the fridge. When I was really young, I was always fond of the food singing along with him. To have that lovely bit of nostalgia show up in a near-zombified form, only to be burned alive with a blowtorch was brilliant.

20. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Mine too! We took my mom to see it for her birthday because she loved Jim Hensen and the muppets. And this part was one where we laughed out loud. "Say hello to my little friend" in chef speak. :p

21. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Loved it. I really thought it was the perfect blend of nostalgia and updated bits. I liked the music and really felt like they treated the Muppets well.

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was really hoping to talk my daughter into going with me. Looks like I'll be going alone again. :(

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'd go with you. [:D]

24. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I was a bit hesitant about seeing this since I didn't really want my memories of watching the show as a kid to be messed up if the movie wasn't good. But my friend dragged me to it today and to be completely honest, I really loved it! It was a fun nostalgic movie that kept me completely entertained!

25. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Thanks for sharing good reviews. I'm going