main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Music of Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by -polymath-, Oct 31, 2012.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    No not joking at all I wanna see what wanna see just you want to see what YOU want to see. No wish or request is wrong & none of your post are superior to mine. If you can say what you want than I can to and I will. Now go back to speculation Thanks for your times smh bullys.

2. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Remember to follow the terms folks everyone has the right to their opinion.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Of course they do. :)

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    If your reg date wasn't from 9 years ago, I'd assume you were a naiive newbie.

Some movies rock with modern music (Iron Man). Some need a full orchestra (Lord of the Rings).

5. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Things can change, and in life & media they have. Remember Pagers & walkmen? Some people don't even know what those devices are.

6. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    The rapid development of electronic gadgets in this instance aren't comparable to artistic intents behind the creation of a score. Star Wars has consistently sought to mimic and bring back to life modes of artistic expression thought no longer viable to (then) modern audiences. Grand, over the top orchestral scores being one of them. To lose that would be to lose what a key aspect of the franchise's identity.

I'm all for bending the mold and taking the franchise to new heights, but you've brought nothing remotely interesting to the table so far. Sry.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It sounds like you want change just for the sake of change. Sorry, but that is a dangerous road to travel - you rarely end up with an end product that is better.

Comparing orchestral music and music generated on a computer is not the same as comparing pagers and Walkmen to the technology we have today. The latter example is all about the tech and bettering our quality of living, while the other is purely subjective. Computer generated music does not automatically make it better because it was created with updated technology. Sure, it works great in certain films, but I challenge you to get the same emotional response out of music created on the computer that you would get through a full orchestra. A live orchestra has a heart and soul, which just isn't achievable with something generated on the computer. That is the very thing that has made the Star Wars scores so special. You can literally listen to the scores without any of the visuals or sound effects and still understand what is going on. The music tells the story.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  8. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    With all of the six Star Wars films plus the stuff he did for several video games, we can be assured that there will be plenty of music for the soundtracks.

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I wouldn't mind hearing Kizz, Metallica or Van Halen in the soundtrack or the new store. John Williams has done enough for the Fox Palpatine movies. I support new ideas & new talent. These new next generation movies should be fun & not about art. Art is reserved for the 6 Fox put out.

10. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
  11. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    So you say you support new ideas and new talent, and then go straight to bands that have been around for more than twenty or thirty years? What's so new about them?

El_Machete12 likes this.
  12. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Its what I like.

13. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    You're still contradicting yourself.

14. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
  15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
  16. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    [face_hypnotized] Wow.
    It's like watching someone play ping-pong....
    *grabs a bowl of popcorn* :p

LawJedi likes this.
  17. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I think it should be consistent with 1-6 , it's implied that some things might change a little but it's also expected that Disney has the good sense to not go over board with major changes to the franchise.

18. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    JW is still alive and well and he just composed the score for Spielberg's Lincoln.

On the JW fansite, evidently someone got to meet him at one of the concerts or something and asked him about scoring the new SW film and his reply was "I'll try!" As for the credibility of that, I have no clue, but its an interesting speculation none-the-less.

Fettcrom likes this.
  19. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    The choice of composer is critical.
    The music of Star Wars overlaps all of the drama, action, characters, mood, etc.
    Of course, Williams would be first choice, but whomever does get the job, they have to honor what has come before and have it sound like it's part of the overall musical score of the saga.

Doug625, Fettcrom and Lee_ like this.
  20. higgyprince

higgyprince Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2012
    Hans zimmer anyone

21. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    It would be interesting to hear music in Episode VII inspired by the soundtrack in the film Cloud Atlas. I was listening to it the other day and thought that many of the tracks would be kind of cool to incorporate into the new Star Wars films, especially for the more dramatic scenes.

22. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Star Wars is scored using character-based leitmotifs. This is essentially what has to continue.

If, God forbid, something prevents John Williams from doing the scores, I would give him a co-writing credit for his leitmotifs and use them in the construction of the new soundtrack where they are appropriate to the characters that he created the themes for. Princess Leia's Theme/Han Solo and the Princess, Luke and Leia/Brother and Sister and Binary Sunset (Luke's theme--the Main Titles are also one of his leitmotifs, as is his action/heroic theme that is all over the place and includes a bit of the Main Titles) are the most prominent examples of what has to be retained for those characters. The new composer would then create leitmotifs for the new characters and elements and weave them in and out the same way John Williams did.

If you listen to the soundtracks, you'll notice that, for example in the Carbon Freeze track, you'll hear Han Solo and the Princess, the Imperial March and various other leitmotifs relating to Bespin and Luke weaving in and out. Leitmotifs are a practice that composers of yore such as Wagner were particularly well-known for. You can tell exactly who is on screen at that exact frame just by whose leitmotif is being quoted. And a certain leitmotif can either be written as romantic and tragic (Han Solo and the Princess) or hopeful and epic (Binary Sunset/Funeral Pyre for a Jedi). Each version of these leitmotifs can give a very different flavor, while it still being the same basic theme and set of notes. Han Solo and the Princess is actually a reworking of Princess Leia's Theme (which returns briefly to its ANH form after Han has gone into carbonite to symbolize that she is alone).

I want a complete and total ban on any modern popular music acts and hit songs being put into the score. That's not Star Wars.

Fettcrom and Lee_ like this.
  23. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    As long as they use John Williams' themes, and use them faithfully, I will be happy. Naturally, there will be new themes...As long as it sounds like Star Wars, that's good enough for me. That's really all I can ask.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    This.

I think they really need Williams' music, that needs to stay the same for continuity (not to mention he has always done a great job).

In the movies beyond that, they need to have Trent Reznor score a really dark, adult-themed Star Wars movie (or do the music for Underworld).

25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Absolutely, true in most movies, not just SW.
    Most movie viewers take the role of music for granted, not realizing its importance in the movie experience.

DarthMateous likes this.