main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The need for more "core" books?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Katana_Geldar, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm still fairly new to the RP scene, and as a GM I'm trying to find more things that make my campiagn better. The problem is that books here seem to be more add ons with bits all over the place rather with info that I can use from one source.

Is it too much to ask for:

Oneequipment guide (at least better than the photocopied one I have scrounged form various sources for my notes)
    One book about species, such as was in the last edition. I only wish that wonderful book was still current.
    One book with everything about starships. From the four books I have on hand. all of them have bits about starships that seem to add on to each other.

As well as:

A book I can lend to players that isn't the core book so they can read up on how to play.
    And something that tells me about making a campaign that is a little bit longer than one chapter.

I know that this is done with D&D with the Player's and DM's Guides, but IMHO it's slightly better than just one book and all the other supplements books.

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Welcome to the wonderful world of rule creep. Its inevitable, both because rules evolve and people want new stuff. Even D&D 3.5 had it, they had to make the Rules Compendium toward the end because important rules and clarifications were scattered all over.

To your ponits:

Equipment: Meh, its SW. A gun is a gun. SW isn't very equipment based at all. Easy to fudge
    Species: There's a conversion guide somewhere from UAA
    Starships: I'll give you this one, starship rules creep upgrades in every edition

You might try searching for Saga Edition Indexes, which are fan made docs that have tables with all the stats.

3. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Funny, it didn't take too long for me to find out about this.

And I'll try and find some indexes, they look like what I want.

4. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I wouldn't mind seeing a source book for the New Jedi Order.

5. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    WoTC used to publish indexes on their website for all the races/classes/feats etc for D&D. It was useful but ended up not being updated after a while. Fans did it for SW, but thats illegal to link to

DDI has exactly this in the Compendium, for a subscription. Can't see them doing it for SW, but it would be nice

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I'm guessing that you're using the new Saga edition rules.
    Yes, it does seem like they're constantly having to update.

At this point, it would be extremely cruel of me to point out the advantages of the WEG d6 rules. One thing that both systems have in common is that rules are scattered over several volumes. Maybe there's someone like Gry Sarth for D20 WotC, who has been so nice as to go through all the books and compile a "complete" list of all the equipment, starships, and alien races, as Gry did for the old D6 system.

As for individual books, probablly the best one for starships that would work across both game systems is "Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freightors". Even though the technical rules and modifiers may not make much sense without someone to translate, the tables and rules for modifying ships and transporting cargo are excellent. (you could probablly fudge the stats yourself, and the costs and conversion times and whatnot would be the same.)

good luck.

7. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Do I hear someone blowing my horn around here?

Oh, it's you, Koohi. Anyway, yeah, having items scattered around dozens of books IS a pain in the neck, which is why I went through all the trouble of gathering all the stats nicely into their own individual books. It's so nice to head into a gaming session carrying only 7 books and knowing you have absolutely every item you can possibly need.

I haven't heard of someone doing the same effort for the Saga system, which is a shame for you guys. Count me out, though. I don't condone d20 Star Wars...

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Would I do that? [face_whistling]

Um...

Why yes, I would. [face_mischief]

9. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    heres one for Saga: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1093636

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Nice index flare, thanks.

11. Jedi_Drizzt

Jedi_Drizzt Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    WOTC's 2002 edition of starwars had pretty good additional rulebooks - Ultimate Guide for Alien Species ftw.
    I don't find SAGA as useful and easy to use. It's only benefit are the excellent Campaign guides (KotOR, Legacy, Clones). But Starships of the Galaxy for example is pretty superficial even though it is a whole book.

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Threats of the Galaxy is almost like a monster manual, and Scum and Villainy works as like an extension of that.

I would still like some shorter version of the basic rules for players though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.