main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The NFL Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    Profootballtalk.com is reporting that Art Shell was fired today in Oakland.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The Cowher Era is officially coming to a close

I knew it was gonna happen ... doesn't mean I'm not a little sad to see him go.

I've got a short list of guys I'd like to see hired.

1) Russ Grimm
    2) Kirk Frerentz
    3) Ken Whisenhunt

Although, knowing the Steelers, they've probably got their eye on a little-known special teams coach that is gonna end up being a diamond in the rough

3. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd have to agree. They'll pull out someone that will leave a lot of people scratching their heads and wondering "HUH?!". Then go on to rebuild into another dynasty.

I hate seeing Cowher go. I've always been a Steelers fan, from the first time I watched NFL games it was the Steelers (yeah, even being in Ohio).

4. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I wonder if Art Shell's expression changed when he found out he was getting fired?

5. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Cowher had a good run. He won the SB last year. It took a while. What else is he going to do? The team imploded this year. Injuries, trades, business....

A coach can only do so much. Putting myself in his situation, I would see it as "I won the SB last year after a LONG struggle, this year we got worked in the business and injuries and I do not want to spend another 15 years trying to repeat that in this high pressure job. I got some money and I want to spend time with my family and make fun of some guys on TV in a comentators spot. I would love to spar with Ditka!"

:)

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    To whit, with Cowher's time and loyalty to and from the organization, if after a couple years he decides he wants to return to the NFL, we may see him either in the Steelers front office or maybe back on the sidelines coaching Big Ben or whoever else is there in a few years time. :)

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Wait, his expression can change? :p

I wonder who Al Davis is going to find for us now...*sigh*.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Maybe he'll shock the football world by naming himself the next coach. It's the next logical step in the downward spiral the Raiders have been on since their Super Bowl loss.

9. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Ken Whisenhunt is someone who is being looked at by many teams. With all the coaches leaving at the end of this season, I don't think there's any doubt he's got himself a job somewhere.

10. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I agree, ObiWan, Ken's almst certain to be picked up, or become the new guy in Pittsburgh.

I'm gonna miss 'Da Chin'. But if anyone deserves a rest, it is him. I do hope he comes back a few years later to the Steelers, either as a coach or in the front office.

11. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I think the specific use of the word "resign" instead of "retire" means Cowher will be back someday. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a front office role with the Steelers within a few years.

12. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    He sorta stumbled on that word in the press conference, didn't he? "Re ... resign". It's like he was going to say one thing, but quickly corrected himself into using the word he wanted to use. ;)

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Bobby Petrino to Atlanta

I like the move for Atlanta, on my gut reaction. I think a college coach should be able to find the correct way(s) to use Michael Vick. Not sure I love it for Petrino, who could have built a perenial national title contender at Louisville.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It'll be interesting to see if the Louisville fans to Petrino skipping out on a ten year contract in the same or similar manner that the Dolphin fans and critics reacted to Sabin jumping to Alabama last week.

15. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Nobody who's willing to acquiesce to Davis' constant back-seat driving. Jon Gruden was the last good coach we had, but he'd made it clear he wouldn't return when his contract was up. Current speculation rests on the team's defensive coordinator (forgot his name). Davis will talk to him soon.

Some people in the past have said that was a very real possibility. I'd laugh, but I've been a fan too long to know better. [face_beatup]

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It may have been possible 20 years ago. Being a head coach takes a lot of endurance, and a lot of 20 hour days. Al Davis is in no way capable of such a task, at his age.

17. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    No, certainly not. What about keeping the coaching selection limited to California? Would Pete Carroll make a good Raiders coach? Is that team his style?

18. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    But just think of the comedic value! :p

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Rob Ryan. He's done a great job with the defense and seems to have a passion for the game. (He shows a lot of energy on the sidelines!) He's also the son of Buddy Ryan. I've always like him so if he was named coach I think I'd be okay with it.

20. TheLighterSide

TheLighterSide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    As for the fans' outrage at Petrino skipping out on Louisville, it couldn't have happened to nicer fans, a nicer guy, or a better school! So long, Bobby! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

21. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    True, it's not like it could affect any more negatively on the Raider's season record.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Petrino owes Louisville $1 million for skipping out on his ten year contract.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Wisenhunt to Arizona

Take him off the Steelers list.

Looks to be either Grimm or Rivera at this point in time. I'm still holding out hope for Frerentz

24. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    *waits for Armenian_Jedi to go nuts if Steve Sarkisian gets the Oakland job*

25. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    Looks like it is Grimm, Rivera, and Tomlin (Minn D Coord) in the final 3 spots.

My guess would still be Grimm and bumping up Whipple to O Coord, otherwise he might go to Ari with Whisenhunt.

I like Rivera too, but if the Bears win he's out of the picture until early Feb, even now he can't come in for another interview.

I don't know much about Tomlin.

In SD news, I wonder what will happen to Marty?
    I can't imaging getting rid of someone who goes 14-2, but you never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.