main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The *Official* Art Challenge . . Has Been Reborn!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TheBalinakaBaroness, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawangrasshopper

padawangrasshopper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2002
    For dishonoring the Art Challenge by turning to the SLACK side, I must commit Jedi hari kiri! (tries to ignite lightsaber....) Well waddaya know, my energy crystals have burnt out! Toooooo bad! So much for saving honor :D

First off, much thanks to the great Baroness for keeping this thread going so long while juggling an extremely busy art career! We are in your debt, our captain, our sister, our queen! ER, sorry, Baroness! :D

Obiahn- Ha ha, you sooooo funny! I must've been gone longer than I thought, because it's also the first time I saw the drawings of all the sith together, and the new duel scene with evil Anakin. I love the perspective. Reminds me of a first person shooter game. Veeeery cool man. And great looking Boba Fett cover!

Pad G

2. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Just wanted to stop by and say . .

I miss the Challenge.

:(

-Otis

3. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    I would start it up again, but Balinaka is kind of in charge of it.

4. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    PadG - Thanks! I'm afraid I've gone over to the Slack side as well, at least with regards to the Fan Art thing! Ah well, it was fun. Thanks for the kind words.

Otis - :(

Adoniah32 - and to anyone else reading -

I've been meaning to post all week, and am finally getting around to it. I've updated the Archive, so that's all cleaned up. And more importantly, I have been meaning to say, if anyone out there does want to start up the Art Challenge again, please be my guest. I don't mean to keep it clutched possessively in my gnarly ol' hands.

It will probably work best to start a second thread so whomever can edit that first post. And then you can just put a link to this thread in case people are interested in the archives.

Otherwise... the future is always in motion. Who knows what'll happen with this lil' ol' thread! It ain't dead yet. ;)

Thanks all for the great support!
    -Baroness

5. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Otherwise... the future is always in motion. Who knows what'll happen with this lil' ol' thread! It ain't dead yet. ;)

Thanks all for the great support!
    -Baroness

*stands up and claps*

6. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Hey, Balinaka, good to hear from you! :D

Well, I start a new thread and try to start the fun back up :) If people could PM me some suggestions, that would really help out!

7. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Since I haven't seen a new thread from Adoniah, and I had an idea - get ready:

NEW CHALLENGE!
    Star Wars Holiday Card
    due... oh, say, by the end of the year

I had this idea since it was something I've had to do a couple times in the past. There are two levels to this challenge for you to pick from.

Level One - Create a Star Wars Holiday Card. Pretty much, do whatever you'd like. Try to avoid too specific of holiday-ness, the object is to have a more generic Seasonal feel to it.

examples of Lucas Company Holiday cards in the past:
    1999 cards
    2000 cards
    2001 cards

If you're really up for a challenge - try this:
    Level Two - This is what I had to contend with - Star Wars Holiday Card - absolutely no references to specific holidays. This means no Santa. No Christmas tree. No Kwanzaa colors. No dreidles. Can't think of anything for Ramadan, but you get my drift. So no Yoda's with Santa Hats!

And if you want to get really sticky, remember, it's summer in half of the world, so you can't even be north american-centric (snow)! OK, that's getting a little too hard.

Good Luck. Hope to see some fun cards!
    ~Baroness

8. Yoc

Yoc Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2002
    Erm... if the Level 2 card can have no specific references to any holidays, then how is the viewer supposed to know it's a holiday card? [face_plain]

Perhaps you could give an example?

9. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    then how is the viewer supposed to know it's a holiday card?

level two is tricky, and i guess it really falls under how you personally feel about the holiday season. it is a double-edged sword - on one hand, it is a nice idea to not assume everyone celebrates, say Christmas, just because you do, but on the other hand, it's a little frustrating to be unable to express one's personal beliefs, traditions, etc. It's all a fine line you have to find yourself. But enough philosophy - back to Star Wars. ;)

It may help to think in terms of Season's Greetings, rather than Happy Holidays. There's still lots you can do - winter sports, snow fun, snowmen, snow monsters!, roasting your toes in front of a cosy fire, giving, sharing, gathering together of friends and family, peace on earth, er... the galaxy. ;) all with your fav. Star Wars characters, of course!

If you look at the Lucas Holiday Cards at the links in my previous post, I'd say all of those qualify as a Level 2.

Does this help?
    Hope so,
    Baroness

10. obihahn

obihahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    whew! it is alive!

i thought i'd just stop by, and just "business-as-usual"- style, i clicked WEEKLY FANART CHALLENGE.
    and here it was, a new challenge.
    or shall i say "a new hope"? ;)

so of course it'll be my pleasure to join in once again.

~obihahn

11. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    Hooray Obihahn!

Yep, guess it's alive. Not that anyone has submitted yet. ;)

I have a bunch of stuff due tomorrow (friday), but I'm hoping to have a little time this weekend to work on mine. Don't have any bright ideas yet, but that's never stopped me before... lol.

***trying my hand at a Jedi Mind Trick***
    -- You want to enter the Challenge - draw something for the Challenge - submit a holiday card to the Challenge - these aren't the droids you're looking for --

:D baroness

12. Duke-Dogwalker

Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    I've got a really cool idea! Well, at least I think it's cool... not quite sure how to do it yet though...

I'll consult with my advisers:

"Massster, she'ss no jedi..."

***trying my hand at a Jedi Mind Trick***
    -- You want to enter the Challenge - draw something for the Challenge - submit a holiday card to the Challenge - these aren't the droids you're looking for --

"Massster, you must enter the Challenge... Those are arrre not the droids you're looking for..."

Hmmm, my advisers are weak-minded fools, obviously. Be warned though, your jedi powers will not work on me, girl... If i enter the challange, it will be at a time of MY choosing... Ho ho ho ho.

13. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    hey Bar,
    you already said "due to next year"...

I say: BIG INVITATION TO "THE SLACK"
    but it suits me...

guess I'll be done around January 7th. Okay, that was a random date.

And hey, whaddaya think, waving your hands around like that? ;)

14. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    DukeD - "cool" idea you say? pun not intended you say? well, I'll laugh anyway. can't wait to see it!

Hey Obihahn - due by the end of the year. That's this year. Jan 7 is no good. Not at all. It's downright bad. Decrepit. Ugly. ;) Kick yourself free of the Slack!

OK, so how 'bout this: just so we'll all terribly clear on the due date - Due by Dec 31!

Ahhh. the Power.... :)
    ~Baroness

ps. ps. ps. instead of the myriad of other things i *should* be doing - working on mine! oh boy oh boy!

15. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    DukeD - "cool" idea you say? pun not intended you say? well, I'll laugh anyway. can't wait to see it!

If you put it like that, then yeah, it is kinda cool... :D

Boomboom. Boom. Boomboom. Boom.

MC DukeD in da house.

Boomboom. Boom. Boomboom. Boom.

sorry, nobody ever called me DukeD yet. it sounds kinda like i should put 'MC' before it... 8-}

I'll do my idea before the 31st - your jedi powers still don't work on me - i just don't want to labelled as 'slack'!

16. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
    Hey, all.

Just wondering if anyone is planning on submitting anything for the current Challenge? Has everyone heard about the contest at TFN's Fan Art page? Hmmmm . . ?

-Otis

17. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    mmmh....

planning to do something?
    -yes

actually doing something?
    -kinda yes again

finishing it due December 31st?
    -err....uh...Bar told me I was bad, bad, bad if I should choose not to, so...yes! (if the SLACK will let go of me)

~DJ O-B-Hun ;)

18. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Thanks for the links, Baroness! They were really good to see. Liked the Wookiee one myself.

And, for some gratuitous self-promotion :p I have just posted several pics in the Classic Trilogy section of the tfn art museum. So you can finally see some of my pics!!!

under kmc. or Kate, as I am better known.

:)

19. Otis_Frampton

Jan 7, 2001
  20. obihahn

Jul 10, 2002
    "Ho Ho Ho!"

*rofl*
    I guess not many people realized the similarities between Jabba and Santa...

I really liked that one, Otis.

Oh, and Happy Holidays to all of you.

~ObiHahn

21. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    [face_laugh] That's great Otis!

Is that the first one in then? Looks like it is...

22. TheBalinakaBaroness

Feb 14, 2002
    "He had a broad face and a round little belly,
    That shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly,
    He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
    And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself"

seemed appropriate - for both santa and jabba. though maybe i'd substitute jolly for cranky, but you get the gist. love it!

:D

at long last an entry for the Art Challenge! thanks to Otis for breaking the dry spell.

Leela - long time no see! thanks for dropping by. fantastic work at the Fan Art Museum. Someone might conjecture that you were a Han and Leia fan. ;) Great stuff. I loved Abbey Road! :D

MC DukeD?!?- oh boy. I don't think that fits with your swoop biker image. ;) hee hee

heya Obihahn - Happy Holidays to you too! (I can't call ya Slack cause I haven't even posted an entry yet!)

Here's to hoping for some more submissions!
    ~Baroness

23. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Okay, here's mine. We DO post these HERE, right?

Merry Vapin' Christmas!

I should note, I didn't draw Kyp, I swiped him from the New Essential Guide To Characters, and messed with him. So he's not mine. The colour scheme is, and so is the tree, and the hat, and the candycane, etc. Don't kill me, please.

Dana

24. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Leela - long time no see! thanks for dropping by. fantastic work at the Fan Art Museum.

Thanks, Baroness! :)

Someone might conjecture that you were a Han and Leia fan.

No, really? ;) :p (This was all art I have done for fanzines I might add.)

Great stuff. I loved Abbey Road!

I was pleased with that one too. I can see the influence of my Illustration course in the design.

:)

25. Duke-Dogwalker

Sep 2, 2002
    ooh, I don't give that tree very good odds for survival - Kypie doesn't look too happy! Candycane might not be his weapon of choice, but i'll bet he's pretty handy with it all the same... 8-}

MC DukeD?!?- oh boy. I don't think that fits with your swoop biker image. hee hee

Hey Bar, don't laugh! I dunno what is like in your neck of the woods, but I'll have you know that here in darkest (and coldest!) london, no self respecting rudebwoy is seen without his (real-world equivilant of a swoop) sportsbike!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Anyway, here's mine:

click

Edit: Oh, i was gonna say before, and i was just reminded (by your post!) - absolutely lovely Han and leia drawings Leela - you've got han's nose down to a tee!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.