main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Borderlands Thread of Critical Hits (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Next Borderlands DLC gets a name, price.
    Ten bucks for a few arenas and (presumably) 125G? Uuuuuuggg...

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    So did anyone buy any of the DLC? I keep meaning to get back into this, and some of the DLC looks tempting enough. [face_thinking]

3. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The Secret Armory of General Knoxx is the only DLC worth the ten bucks. Zombie Island was a disappointment and Mad Moxxi consisted simply of tiresome arena battles.

Unless you're an achievement whoring perfectionist like myself. Then you should get all three. :p

Also, General Knoxx has a deliciously difficult "secret" boss battle after you complete the main quest that drops tons of valuable loot when you complete it.

4. Angel_Blue

Angel_Blue Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 4, 2006
    I just got the game, and I think it's fantastic. I especially appreciate the splitscreen multiplayer. Not at all interested in the downloadable content though.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it! It's worth noting that the Secret Armory DLC continues on where the main story left off, so if you're curious about what happens afterward you may want to look into it. It's also a lot of fun.

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I just picked up this game as well. Not too far into the game (only level 7), but I laughed so hard when I encountered a Mutant Midget Psycho. Shooting an enemy with that name just tickles me.

7. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I picked this game up about two weeks ago or so (as I'm way behind on my "games to play" list these days)...I love it!
    IMO, Borderlands is by far one of the best games I've played in some time.

I got the Zombie Island & General Knoxx DLCs and enjoy them both...passed on Underdome though.
    Still on my 1st playthrough, but I'm a lvl 43 Hunter right now and just enjoying the game for what it is.

...not finding a lot of people on my friends list who still play it or want to co-op (I guess because I "missed the boat" when everyone else was playing online).

8. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    I picked this up right when it came out and actually just re-installed it earlier in the week. I just finished the zombie island and am at lvl 31 right now... Just replaying from the beginning since my old save was deleted when i reformatted. I got all DLC's, gonna see how they pan out.

9. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I picked this up because I'm sick of waiting for RDR. So far I'm a level 18 solider. It is entertaining enough to keep me playing, but I would say it is rather "meh" quality. The boss fights are fun, but don't really care about the world they've created. As far as the shooting goes, nowhere near as cool as HL2, and I was much more into that story and world. Just because it is a shooter doesn't mean it has to have no interesting plot and cookie cutter sidequests.

I find the RPG elements they did include to be the more tiresome ones, I don't enjoy messing with inventory so much, "inventory management" is something that should be relegated to the warehouse where it belongs. Somehow they have to just make guns that behave differently and do different cool stuff without worrying about their mathematical properties.

Oh and driving around blowing stuff up and running over wildlife is also fun.

Personally if the focus is going to be on just shooting stuff, the corridor shooter is the best way to do that, and then the plot can be shoved down your throat with minimal work. In an open world game, just shooting crap can be fun, but I like it when it tries to give me a desire to get out there.

So for the general space shooter/RPG genre (which is my favorite, I would go:

Mass Effect > Half Life 2 > Fallout 3 > Borderlands > Halo 3

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Halo, I just got sick of the first two a looong time ago.

10. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Unlock 'n bump.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  12. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    I do hope Borderlands 2 will use the title Borderworlds as that will sound like the sequel will be bigger and better. Kinda like how rather than naming it Super Mario Bros 4, Super Mario World was picked as a title.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Kinda surprised I never posted in this thread before. I bought this game last year during a long period of boredom and loved the heck out of it; enjoyed the Zombies expansion, too. Only ever played as Mordecai, and was a tad disappointed in the ending (thought it was quite anticlimactic)-but still head & shoulders above my major purchase of this year, MW3. Glad to hear a sequel is on the way.

14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm loving Borderlands 2! Any other vault hunters playing on the 360? Would love to go vault hunting somewhen.

Also, word of warning. There's a quest called 'Do No Harm', don't do it until you've done 'A Dam Fine Rescue'.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Having a blast with 2 so far. It starts off a little slow, but now that I've found a groove it's hard to stop playing. Currently playing as Axton (Commando), but I figure I'll eventually take each class for a test run at some point. I hear Zer0 dominates the online space.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I just picked up the sequel on Steam this weekend and played a few missions. Pretty good so far but I probably won't dive in completely until I finish up Sleeping Dogs.

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The first DLC has been announced!! It is called Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty and features pirates but no Mysterons. Anyway, it's out on Tuesday, it'll cost either $9.99 or 800 Microsoft Points, or it's free if you have the season pass.

Also, Gaige the Mechromancer is out too, which costs the same unless you preordered and then you get it free. I've started a new game with the Mechromancer and it's a lot of fun. There's not much for the player to do though, except just stand back and watch as the robot kills everything. It's good for dealing with lots of Rakks, but then I prefer punching them in the face to shooting them, because I can.

18. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Geez, they're moving this thing along quickly aren't they? Hasn't even been out a month yet and I'm only at level 19.

19. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Any Borderlands fans out here? I'm a big fan. I still play Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel to this day.

I like the quasi-steampunk Star Warsy vibes it gets sometimes.

Let's show some Pandoran love!!!

20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004