main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD The OFFICIAL Comments, Complaints, and Suggestions Thread-(*Currently Discussing: Holiday Season*)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rox , May 31, 2002.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    -A new banner is always refreshing, so I think that's a good improvement that can be implemented rather easily. The current one is good, but I think the forum could benefit from a new look.

I agree. With the backlash in other forums about changing the banner, I wanted to go ahead and get feedback from you guys before making any kind of announcement.

-I think the forum header needs a little overhauling. I'm not sure that the topmost announcement about the 'new forum dedicated to FanSites' needs to be there anymore. (It is also repeated at the bottom of each page too.) That forum isn't new anymore and I don't see the relevance of announcing it any longer.

Yea, I saw that too. When that was put in there, I never understood what that had to do with Fan Art, but whatever.

-The three threads that are linked in the header might be in need of updating once you decide which tutorial/FAQ threads are most important. (In the event that you create new ones and such.)

I was planning to do that along with the sticky and getting all the other threads organized. I know some that are listed up there I want to replace and I think it would benefit to add a few more.

-Another idea is to start a brand new social thread and locking the current one. It could still be called the Artist's Cantina, just a version 2 or something. It's not exactly necessary, but with your promotion I sort of feel like the forum is entering a new era and a new social thread may help to promote community building with the current group of people here. Older and longer social threads can sometimes be intimidating to new members, but a fresh thread would be like an open invite to all. Just my 2 cents on that.

Hmm...not a bad idea. I'll look into that. ;)

-I look forward to an all new sticky thread with an outline of the forum's rules (spoiler image rules, image content rules, critique guidelines, etc.) in place of the current sticky. The info that's already there is good, but an update from you would be even better. This could incorporate the idea for an artist index, which is an excellent idea!
    (I know only managers and admins can make sticky's, so I can pm you with suggestions on tackling that now.)

Yea, I plan to keep most of the information that is already listed in there. I just want to add a few more things and possibly combine the critique guideline thread into it. And a PM about how to go about this would be apprecitated. :)

-I wouldn't mind seeing a tutorial thread (that anyone can lend their advice to) on how to draw faces, hands, clothes...etc. Like the mini-tutorial you did about facial feature placement in a recent thread. With very basic guidleines like that. This could be a possible link in the header, or not...just a thought. (I'm not sure if stuff like that is covered in the tools and techniques thread, so it might be a redundant idea.)

This was already suggested to me by another user and I plan to act on it. There have been quite a few people inquiring about this lately and I feel that this would really benefit them.

-I am excited that you want to continue the monthly fan art challenge. It's a great community building activity. And maybe having other smaller challenges here and there could be introduced as well. I think challenges that help perpetuate learning would be great. Like a challenge where everyone has to draw hands, or eyes. Fun but practical in terms of making us practice and learn.

Yea, that seems to be the most successful thread in here at the moment. It would be stupid to do away with it when it's so popular. Challenges that involve learning would be a good idea before. I know in the past, there was a seperate thread for this entitled, "The Fan Art Class", and I was pondering whether to start this one back up or just to combine it into the Challenge thread.

2. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Hi, Steph! Back when we didn't know who was going to be the new mod, I threw around some ideas about spoiler images and stuff-- basically that allowing spoiler-free fans and spoiled fans to both have a great time is very important now in this forum and some ideas on it. Ie, in making sure the spoiler images are labeled as such and posted as links and not embedded images, encouraging spoiler-free work...

I'll just bring it up again as something I've noticed. And, yeah, I think a sticky with the rules about what kind of images to post and how you can post them would probably be a good idea too.

:D Good Luck, you're doing a great job so far! Oh, and yes, you can rest sometimes :p

--SJ

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I agree. Having both sides happy(both spoiled and non-spoiled) is very important. And I think that's why your way of handling the problem will work out the best. I know the idea of having two seperate threads has been thrown around as well, but in the end I think that would be a lot more of a hassle to manage. So, yea, I'm leaning more towards the link and title solution.

And just another random thought - what does everyone think about posting non-Star Wars art? Do you think we should allow it?

Oh, and yes, you can rest sometimes

Rest...rest? What's that? :p

4. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Han, regarding your suggestion about including non-Star Wars art--I'm casting my vote for it: I know that most of the people who post here have work other than Star Wars, and I, for one, would love the opportunity to see it. It's a gas, sometimes, to hit people's own websites and see all their stuff--it'd be a real treat to be able to see it here. Just my two very-tarnished pennies' worth.

And if I can help you out with your mod duties (I know you're hard at work in school most of the time! :D ), just PM me (I'm pretty much of a doof with the computer--but I have good organizational skills! ;) ).

FF

5. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    FalconFan, thanks for your input. Personally, I'm for it as well, but I also don't want to forget that this is a Star Wars board. I think it would be nice to experiment with this. Perhaps have a thread where we display our non-Star Wars art. Or, we could always limit it to your personal art threads.

I think allowing other art would also help the forum grow. Along these lines, I was also thinking of starting general art threads where we can discuss things like classic artists, art movements, etc. What do you guys think?

6. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    I agree HS. I think if you were to allow non-SW art, it should be contained within each of our personal art threads. If this is permitted, you will see a likely increase in the number of posts... and an exasperating increase in the number of threads if they're not regulated. ;)

7. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    I also vote for allowing non SW art here. I agree with keeping it to individual's threads. (and a link to Tori's art in my sig) ;)

I feel it would help people's skills (like mine) to get suggestions on all attempts at drawing and such. :D

8. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, it seems that the decision for allowing non-Star Wars art is pretty much one-sided as of right now. ;)

9. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    I've posted some non SW stuff, but I'll stop doing it if it's decided to be inappropriate. Or harmful to the ozone layer. Either one of those.

10. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    It has already been found by many scientific experts that non-SW art ionizes particles in space-time which erodes the terciary layers of the stratospheric ozone...

;)

I also wanted to chime in on the new banner idea. I was thinking the same thing! It's... well... old. Perhaps we could have a new banner contest? :D :D

11. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    True. It's a very nice banner and all, but... well, we're the artists of the JC, and I'm sure we can come up with an even better one now ;). It'd be a great community-building contest.

12. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    That became an article of contention with the last banner design, ShrunkenJedi. Our mod back then argued that we could see some "use of material" issues with artists if we used actual fan art. I'd argued that if we had permission (in PM form, ideally, so that's logged ands retrievable by mods) to use art, that should fix that... but alas, it was not accepted. It was a valid point.

So I made the one we're looking at. ;)

What do you think, HS? In a new banner, would actual fan art from here and maybe TF.N's Fan Art Museum be usable?

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I can't imagine that the artists who contribute in this forum would object to their work being used in a fan art banner. I think the normal concern is that someone off-site would use fan work for profit, and not give credit where it is due.

That's not the case here.

Anyone else have any comments?

14. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Well, the policy should be clear, yes, but even with a new banner we don't have to use user-artwork, we can still work with the art that's in the TFN multimedia archive. In fact, I was just playing around with starting one like that.

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Although I feel that it is a good idea, it may be a little while till a banner contest for this forum is taken into consideration. I know the CT forum is currently holding their's and there was someone in line after them. As I was told, only one banner contest can be going on at a time so the users don't feel burned out trying to submit banners for all of them. That doesn't mean you guys can't go ahead and start making some. If you feel the urge to do this, go right on ahead! :)

As for using fan art from images in the Fan Art Museum etc - I need to look into that. I'm not entirely sure how that would work since we should get permission before using those images. Although, I did take notice that fan art was used to create the holiday banner and icons this year. If they were used for that, we may be able to do the same for our banner.

16. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Yeah, I know you have to wait in line to have banner contests, too, and that the CT contest is going on. But since I'm home on vacation and had a lot of free time yesterday, I went and made a banner and adholders-- haven't sectioned it up into it's separate parts yet, though. Do you mind if I post it here, Steph?

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Go right ahead. Afterall, this is the Fan Art board. ;)

Plus, it's never to early to start on this.

18. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Okay :D

[image=http://img1.exs.cx/img1/3863/artbanner37fk.jpg]

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    The pastel colors would be a nice new look for in here. I also like how you focused mostly on Cloud City and the "air" like concepts. It flows nicely together.

It just seems a little blank on the right side, though. I don't know if you're still working on that section, but it looks more like a background image for me. No real biggy. It still looks nice how it is. ;)

20. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks! I really liked the effect I got by desaturating the entire thing, myself, and I just love sky stuff. If you'll notice, though, on the left-side panel it's not air-- it's lower, so it's earthbound; then you rise into the air and finally, going to the right, into outer space. I'll think about adding some more stuff over on the right, though. :D

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Interesting. I didn't catch that before. But that's a excellent way to keep the banner flowing and to help your eye travel throughout it. :)

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    This is sort of related, so I'll post it: It seems to have been lost in the recent switch of the TF.net's main page/site to the new look, but the costuming forum used to have a separate page devoted to costuming FAQ's and it had a banner comprised of pictures forum members submitted of themselves in their own costumes. I remember when it was made (by Azeem) and him asking forum members to send him their pics for consideration to be used. It was a nice banner.
    So maybe something could be worked out in order to use forum member's art? I don't know....*shrug*

Back to the issue of allowing non-SW art, I think it's a good idea too. We allow off topic threads in the costuming forum to showcase costumes from other films all the time and it's worked well. It generates more conversation and produces a lot of fun for all involved.
    My question regarding handling that type of thing in here is whether or not the art has to fall under the definition of 'fan art'? And how do we define 'fan art'?
    Would you (HS29) be allowing still lifes of fruit and portaits of our dogs, or sticking to fan art about other films/books/comics etc.? :)

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    That's not a bad idea concerning the banner. Perhaps as the time draws nearer for an actual contest, we can send out the call for people to send in their art to be considered for the banner. I was also thinking if people want to use the art that is available in the Fan Art Museum, that they should get in contact with the artist before taking the image. But it seems that it may work better for people to submit their art.

As for the non-Star Wars art subject - I don't see why it would hurt to post still lifes, portraits, numerous studies, etc. Afterall, I think the more variety we can get, the stronger our little community will become.

24. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I too vote for a non-Star Wars art thread.

I could post my James Bond and Indiana Jones posters.

A few samples.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Agent-007/DAF_Final.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Agent-007/Non_Bond/Raiders_25th_Final.jpg]

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow...I really like that James Bond poster. The design is just--WOW! Okay, I think I'm wearing that out, but I can't think of another word to describe it. :p

And Indy: [face_love]