main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The *OFFICIAL* Fan-To-Pro Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Otis_Frampton, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke-Dogwalker

Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Instead I now know about fourty soon to be kindergarten art teachers,

so basically, you mean they're just rubbish! (no offence to kindergarten art teachers of course, if such a thing even exists!)

I haven't really got anything else to say, other than that this is post 100 of this excelent thread! :D

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well thanks Tam :)

Well Duke, I didn't mean it that way. Some of those kindergarten teachers are my friends. However when I was considering going to an art school it was because there would be others there who would be able to critique my work from a completly different level.

3. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    I wish I were a "pro". :(

(Note To Self: Never let an *OFFICIAL* thread fall to Page 2)

-Otis

4. Tarkheki

Tarkheki Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2003
    umm... how would you know if you were considered a "pro"?

5. TheBalinakaBaroness

TheBalinakaBaroness Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    how would you know if you were considered a "pro"?

A few days I stumbled across an artictle where an artist was describing his reevaluation of what he believed a professional artist to be. I didn't save it, cause it rambled on about things i wasn't necessarily looking for at the moment. I've been trying for the past hour, and for the life of me can''t find it. Oh well. He had an interesting take, that to be considered professional didn't necessarily mean being gainfully employed, but to be actively seeking to become accomplished in your chosen field. I don't know exactly how much I agree with that, but kinda hard to debate it when I can't find the original text. Sorry.

But I did find this during my searching. It's a pretty good little article about being a professional artist:

Professionally Positive

I wish I were a "pro".
    Oh so very soon, Otis, you will be!

~Baroness

6. Tarkheki

Tarkheki Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2003
    oh... ok.. so in that case call me "sucky"! >:}

7. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Up . . for those may be new around here.

-Otis

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Unlocked and upping.

9. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
  10. labpizza

labpizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    Otis_Frampton - I am to shame! i was going to say i wanted to be pro too.. but istead i'm going to say that YOU ARE PRO! i've even checked out your website and your portfolio on portfolio.com! I love you're work! and i just wish i could achive something like what you are doing!! someone is bound to hire you if you havent been hired alredy (and i wouldnt be surpised if you have!)
    We'll i think your pro! but after reading what TheBalinakaBaroness said.. heh i dont know what to think o___o

11. kamna_jedi

kamna_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    hmm so im working on a star wars fan comic, which uses both gl characters and my own. and maybe one day i might like to publish them threw my own small company. but i was wondering about some legal stuff for just posting it on the web for now. could i but up a copy right stateing that art and story are by me and then add orignal concept by gl. would that be okay to do, and not get sued or anything of the sort.

12. DCJosh

DCJosh Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    fan art/fan comics in general are usually alright as long as it stays on the web. Once you start venturing into actually publishing it or plan to make money off of it, thats where you may run into problems. The fact that its your artwork gives you the right to do whatever the heck you want with it, but since the artwork is of direct representations of characters OWNED by somebody, you might run into some bumps.

Its tough to say. Cant say i've ran into too many fan comics that people publish themselves. One way people get around all that copyright jazz is altering the characters or characters names slightly so they're not entirely the same. but i find that cheapens it a little.

Anyway, wish i could be of more help but i dont know much about getting into the legalism of copyrights and what you can and cant do as a fan artist :\

[though you'd be ok at just putting it on the web saying "here's a fan comic i did" kind of thing]

As for me, btw. Name's Josh, i've been working the past 2-3 years as a freelance comic book colorist/ commission illustrator. I've done work for big companies like the late Dreamwave Productions, Hasbro, Inc., and Alias Enterprises. So yeah. thats me and my "professional" experience :D

13. kamna_jedi

kamna_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    hmm thank you very much!!! i was just a little worried about it. anyways my site is up. and you guys should check it out, it's only a the first two pages so not much story yet. i won't post the link here, at least for now. i gotta figure out where to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.