main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The OFFICIAL Film Music Trivia Quiz - New Game! [Quiz #4]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by halibut, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    ?Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.?
    -Captain Jack Sparrow

X Marks the end of this search, mateys- let?s see what loot ye managed to pilfer on your journey through Round 43: Treasure Hunt.

1. Apparently I made this one a little too hard- this is my favorite segment of the score to Star Trek III: The Search For Spock, by James Horner, from the track entitled ?The Bird of Prey Decloaks.?

2. An excerpt from the fine score of Treasure Planet, by James Newton Howard, from the track ?To The Spaceport?

3. The titular song from the track ?Anything Goes,? a re-orchestration (apparently) of the original from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams.

Our band?a buccaneers has produced many a fine treasure hunter over the years, but now we see the cream of the crop! Our top treasure hunters are:
    Well_Of_Souls ? 2 points
    Darth_Vader-Anakin ? 2 points
    Miana Kenobi ? 1 point
    __Vader__ - 1 point
    Outrider462004 ? 1 point

Yer standin? among the crew has increased, mates- now, all crew, fall in! Sound off, ye scurvy dogs!

Well_Of_Souls ? 9 points
    Scoot ? 4 points
    The-Tennis-Ball-Kid - 3 points
    Andy1044 ? 3 points
    Outrider462004 ? 3 points
    Miana Kenobi ? 3 points
    __Vader__ - 2 points
    Outrider462004 ? 1 point

Arrr, that?s more like it. Now, me buckos, I be off to sail the seven seas for the month?a February. But before ye get into yer heads any thoughts?a mutiny, or worse, laziness, I?ll leave ya with a job ta do. This next round is a tricky one, mates, befitting a month-long period. I?ll take your word of honor on the Pirates code that ye?ll steer clear of the wesites out there that list these things and work off of your own merit. Here be the deal:

Your three candidates this time around come not from films, but from film trailers. Certain pieces of music are composed specifically for movie trailers, part of a music library that can be purchased for the purpose. Three such tracks are before you know. 3 points for naming the title and composer- plus an additional 1 for each trailer you can name that uses the music. (Subject to review, of course.)

Good luck!

http://www.nolinecinemas.com/Music%20Quiz/Quiz%201-27-07.zip

2. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    After a brief hiatus, we?re back! Hope everyone had a chance to rest up, because we?re about to go at it again, full force! But first, let?s see how everyone did stockpiling points during Round 44: You?d Think That With A Month To Think I?d Have A Catchier Title.
    And the answers are:
    1. The Black Legend, by Immediate Music, used in the Teaser/Trailer for the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (as title music,) and the Van Helsing Trailer.
    2. Lacrossima, by Immediate Music, used in the Spider-Man 2 Trailer, as well as the Team America and Sahara TV Trailers. (The non-choral version was also used in the trailer for Stormbreaker.)
    3. Here Comes The King, by X-Ray Dog, used in the Teaser/Trailer for the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, the Trailers for Munich and All The King?s Men, and the TV Trailer for Team America: World Police. (Plus a ?drums? version, which was used in the trailer for The Good German.)

Our musical masterminds for this round were:
    Well_Of_Souls ? 8 points
    Outrider462004 ? 8 points
    Andy1044 ? 4 points

(Sorry, __Vader__, but the requirement was too identify the piece name- the bonus for trailer usage was only open once that was identified.)

This puts our updated total at:
    Well_Of_Souls ? 17 points
    Outrider462004 ? 12 points
    Andy1044 ? 7 points
    Scoot ? 4 points
    Miana Kenobi ? 3 points
    __Vader__ - 2 points

(Sorry, Outrider462004, for the scoring mix-up last round. All totals have now been corrected, including cumulative total, in my records and on the scoreboard.)

A bit of a jump in scores this time around, but to quote the famous C-3PO, ?If you hurry, you might still catch them!? In fact, this next round is tantamount to free points. If you recognize the running theme, even process of elimination should be absurdly easy. So, to add just a little challenge- but only a little, really- points will only be awarded for film name, composer, and track name- not that it should be extremely difficult. 1 point each.

http://www.nolinecinemas.com/Music%20Quiz/Quiz%203-3-07.zip

(And while you?re at it, investigating files newly hosted on Nolinecinemas.com, feel free to stop by http://www.starwarsfanworks.com/altaradio.html to check out the newest episode of Joe Harrison?s Star Wars/Star Trek fan radio show, ALTA Radio, just released and also hosted by No Line Cinemas!)

3. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Okay, so... so far I've recieved a whopping ONE entries for this current round. I am going to choose to believe that's because you're all so busy listening to that dazzling commentary on ALTA radio and forgot to sumbit this week. ;) In any event, I'm putting it up to a quick-response vote- extend it for another few days, or just cut it off here and award the 1 point that I'm giving out so far? Just lemme know...

4. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I say give a few more days.

5. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    As you may have guessed, I agree. I've heard from several who plan to submit answers, so I will leave things open for a few more days- but answer soon, for the end could strike without warning!

6. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Okay, another day or so and we're calling it quits- c'mon, this isn't that tough... anyone out there?! ;)

7. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Okaaaay? that?s it, I guess. What happened, guys? Did a month hiatus kill the trivia quiz? We shall explore these issues and more as we delve into the psyche of 45: Three Star Trek Films In A Row!
    1. Star Trek: Insurrection, by Jerry Goldsmith, Riker Maneuver.
    2. Star Trek: First Contact, by Jerry Goldsmith, Evacuate.
    3. Star Trek: Generations, by Dennis McCarthy, Deck 15.

That really? wasn?t? that hard- the First Contact track, for example, was the beginning of the track- all you had to do was listen through the first two seconds of each track and you?d have it! But perhaps the clips were somehow less recognizable than anticipated. In any event, we have? 1 point to award. Thanks, Outrider462004, for at least submitting a guess- one of only two to do so! That puts our point totals at:
    Well_Of_Souls ? 17 points
    Outrider462004 ? 13 points
    Andy1044 ? 7 points
    Scoot ? 4 points
    Miana Kenobi ? 3 points
    __Vader__ - 2 points

Well? that was? unfortunate. Hopefully it was just a fluke round- we?ll give everyone a chance to charge on forward now with the next one- it has a similarly associative theme, I think- though a bit broader this time. In any event, identify the film and composer for a point, track (where applicable) for a bonus point. It?s that easy! Good luck! (P.s. Consider this a day or two bonus, we?ll end the round on the 24th and get back into our Saturday schedule.)
    http://www.nolinecinemas.com/Music%20Quiz/Quiz%203-15-07.zip

8. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Okay, a little bit of bad news- the answers are going to be delayed a day or two once again. But as Han Solo so famously said... "It's not my fault!" My website's a little bit on the blink and may not be reliable for hosting the quiz clips for the next couple of days- as soon as that is resolved, we'll get back down to our regularly scheduled quiz!

9. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    hellooo? Where did this go?

10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    OK, we'll get this going again soon.

11. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I still haven't fixed my sound card yet.:_|

12. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    With the blessings of our very own General Kenobi, I have decided to step up and bring back the quiz. [And there was much rejoicing!]

The rules, for the most part, will remain the same.

There will be 10 rounds with 3 clips each (one easy, moderate, hard)
    Each round will last 7 days
    1 point will be awarded for the correct film and composer
    1 point will be awarded for the correct track title
    1 bonus question worth an extra point will be thrown in for good measure every few rounds or so

To make the easy clips a bit more challenging and the harder clips a bit easier:

Easy clips = 7 seconds
    Moderate clips = 13 seconds
    Hard clips = 20 seconds

Clips will not always be solely from films. Some rounds will also feature TV and video game scores as well. And some rounds will contain a mix.

Scoring will start over from scratch, so feel free to join in and just PM your answers to me.

Alright, enough of all that junk, let?s get this started!

Round One: Welcome to the Jungle

Yes, I shamelessly stole this round?s theme title from the famous Guns n? Roses song, but it seemed quite appropriate. All the clips presented in this round are from films that take place in the jungle. Good luck!

Welcome to the Jungle

:D

13. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Wow, no responses yet. Too hard? Uninterested?

Either way, there's still one day left to get your answers in.

14. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I've only received one entry so far, but you still have a few more hours, so don't be shy!

15. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    That was a rather lackluster first round with a whopping one entry!

The answers to the first quiz: Welcome to the Jungle were:
    Clip 001 - John Williams; Jurassic Park The Lost World; The Hunt
    Clip 002 - James Horner; Apocalypto; Storyteller?s Dreams
    Clip 003 - Michael Giacchino; Lost Season 2; I Crashed Your Plane, Brotha

This round's winner was Scoot with 3 points.

Perhaps the last round was too difficult, so these might be a bit easier. The theme this time is Main Titles. As the name states, each of these clips come from the titles of the film. Each clip will only be worth two points this round since the track name would be just a bit too easy. Hopefully there will be more entries this time around, otherwise I'll just assume no one is interested and let this game rest in peace.

Main Titles

16. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Crap. I knew the Williams one, I just forgot to send in an answer.

17. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    I know that as soon as the round is over, and the answers are given, THEN i'll recognise them.

18. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I tried, but failed. :(

19. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I could have gotten the first two, but never the third. I wish I could hear these. I love these types of games. I just can't afford to waste blank cd's or get my soundcard repaired. Something always comes up. :(

20. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Yeah, that's gotta be pretty awful to not have a working sound card. Hope you can get it fixed soon.

By the way, I think some of you are going to be kicking yourselves when the answers come in.

21. outrider462004

Oct 31, 2004
    you have failed me you the last time DarthButt.

22. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    You have about 12 hours left to get answers in.

23. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Alright, the second round, Main Titles is over and here are the answers so brace yourselves:

Clip 01 - Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell; Chicken Run
    Clip 02 - John Barry; From Russia with Love
    Clip 03 - John Debney; Hocus Pocus

After two rounds, the points stand thusly:
    Scoot with 3 points
    Well_Of_Souls with 1 point
    snowspeeder_gunner with 1 point

I was slightly disappointed that nobody got Hocus Pocus. It's a really fun score and one of the few Debney's scores I enjoy.

This next round is entitled: Flying High, but don't take the title too literally. There are three different types of "flying" high here. One bonus point will be awarded if you can correctly identify what kind of high is on display in two of the tracks. You do not need to know the name of the score or composer to gain this point. Good luck!

Flying High

EDIT: Also, you may choose which quiz will be next out of the following categories:
    B List Superheros
    Dance Grooves
    Dysfunctional Families
    Music for Guitar and Orchestra

24. outrider462004

Oct 31, 2004
    Dysfunctional Families! I can't wait.

25. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Awesome, amazing choice for clip #3. :D