main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~The Official "Non-mainstream" Music Discussion Thread. This week featuring: Ian Moore~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darth_wanderguard, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Okay, so before anyone says "We already have an indie thread!" this was actually Zaz approved :p

I figured it would be a neat idea to start a thread for the purpose of getting more obscure names out there to a wider audience, and introduce them to new potential listeners. I figured I would start with my own choice, but from here on out I'll be accepting suggestions for future candidates via PM.

Every Monday we'll be featuring a different artist chosen at random from suggestions.

I suppose we'll start with Ian Moore. He's long been one of my absolute favorite artists, mainstream or not. A talented guitarist, great songwriter, and gifted singer, his versatility is nearly unrivaled.

Throughout his career his sound has run the gambit from the high-energy funk-influenced Wah-laden blues and rock of his earlier years, to the more acoustic, strange, almost otherworldly sound of his recent works.

A few of my favorite of Ian's songs are the jazzy, swing influenced "I ain?t feeling no pain", the exhilarating "Bar Line 99", the perplexing "Pennyroyal Tea", and last but not least, the soothing, more mainstream-sounding "Roller coaster."

Ian's Myspace. New day is the only song he has up, but it's a really good one.

Ian's official site. There should be some sound clips in the music section.

Alrighty. Feel free to tell me what you think, discuss, and PM me suggestions for upcoming features. Thanks :)

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Ze list. :)

3. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Bump.

This isn't going so well.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Have faith. :)

5. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
  6. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    it's stupid because i can't listen to music at home and at work, well, no loudspeakers. don't lose faith, though. it's the nature of this thread that few people have heard of the artists.

7. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    We got a reply [face_dancing]

If no one sends me any requests I'll continue featuring artists of my own choosing. And I know you guys don't want bluesman after bluesman week after week :p

8. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    yes, do what must be done :D

9. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I figured I'd stick with Ian for another week, and if I don't get any requests by Monday I'll go to someone else. Maybe Derek Trucks.

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I gave his stuff a listen on iTunes. Sounds interesting, and I might look up some of his music later on.

11. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Cool. He has some really excellent songs.

As good a singer/guitarist as he is, it's his songwriting that really pays the bills.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I really should subscribe to iTunes...if I weren't so cheap...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.