main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Discussion Thread v.2

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by jEdI_kEnObI80, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow, that's a tough hypothetical. Sure, Anakin has his mind set on being big and bad, but as we see him in AotC, he hasn't practiced it enough and is overconfident. He gets his arm cut off, Obi-Wan at 25 defeats a Sith Lord. When both are adults, Obi-Wan wins too...

But we also never see Obi-Wan at 19 so it's hard to say what he would be like. If we look at how he fights in TPM, a lot of it is wrapped up in the emotion of the duel. So what circumstances are we talking about here?

Still, might have to go with Anakin. At this point, both of them are still learning. But Anakin has that natural ability edge on Obi-Wan, so I imagine he'd win. As much as it pains me to say that :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. jimmyonekenobi

jimmyonekenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2004
    You've just gotta love young obi wan, cocky and arrogant sure but thats just youth, im sure all jedi are the same when they are young, but we only really see obi wan - flawed, anakin - flawed, and luke also flawed! There is no such thing as a jedi who starts off perfect... (except me)

ahhh. i can just see yoda at 25..... "Take these i will" before twirling and flipping to take down a droid or two.

Plus this makes him more human/likable than if he was just like he was in AotC. everyone can relate to someone with flaws as we all have them

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I do think it's probably built into the Jedi system at this point to be a little arrogant. A lot of them seem to have that problem. Obi-Wan and Anakin's flaws are much the same: pride, overly stubborn, sometimes reckless. The big difference I see is that Anakin is selfish and Obi-Wan isn't. He's only reckless when he's just putting himself at risk, but Anakin's a little more willing to risk everyone on a split-second decision.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    obi wan's arrogance perfectly illustrates why the jedi are ripe for plucking by palps. his character's growth is a blueprint for the saga: from wry, witty dialogue (1st scene) to reined in impatience with his master's choices (anakin) and enough confidence in himself to question his master - and the parallel with these characteristics with his own relationship with anakin in AOTC - only now he is master being challenged by his own padawan. and then consider a new hope: vader's taunt of "when we last met - the circle is now complete" - is lucas a genius or what?

5. jimmyonekenobi

jimmyonekenobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2004
    Solojones thats such a good point, didnt really notice that. i knew obi wan was reckless with his own life but not anyone elses but the comparison with anakin is true, he is selfish. i guess thats why i don't really like him as much or warm up to him. ( i also don't think Hayden was right for the part, but thats not something to get in to on this thread)
    alot of the jedis are arrogent but none of them selfish. each would die to save someone else, where as anakin just wouldn't be able to make that sacrifice, unless it was him mum or padame. (but who wouldn't)

6. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I'm not going to get into a big thing but I think you should wait until after Revenge of the Sith to judge whether Hayden was right for the part of Anakin but anyway I really like the fact that Obi-Wan was a little arrogant and cocky in TPM because I really wanted to see that part of him because what you see in the OT is a very experienced and wise Jedi Master so I really liked that about Obi-Wan in TPM and also his sense of humour in AOTC as well, basically I love Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ewan McGregor as simple as that.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Ewan as Obi-Wan is the best overall thing about the new film so far. I think he is absolutely brilliant and fills the shoes of Sir Alec quite completely.

8. Skywalker_Vader2be

Skywalker_Vader2be Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    As Strilo has said, Ewan fits into the part of Obi-Wan perfectly, and demonstrates the character's overall characteristics and traits perfectly. Even his fighting abilities were enhanced throughout the new films, a clear sign of Obi-Wan growing wiser throughout the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.