main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official STAR WARS: RESURRECTION Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by SW_Jedi_Temple, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SW_Jedi_Temple

SW_Jedi_Temple Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2001
    Finally, the Resurrection audio drama is released to the public.

Thanks to Nathan for hosting it on his Anthology website. You can download the file and link to the Resurrection page at: starwarz.com/timeline/anthology

Enjoy,
    Ted Alderman

2. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Hey Ted, I did get to hear a little of it last night. I didn't get to finish listening to it yet, but I will hopefully in the morning. I haven't heard the end yet , but I can say the middle of it kept me very interested indeed. I liked the interaction between the characters there.

Keith

3. SW_Jedi_Temple

May 16, 2001
    Keith, glad you liked what you've heard so far.

Ted

4. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    It just struck me, Ted, that I still have those CD covers lying around here. Next time I update the site, the Resurrection CD Jewel Case Inserts will go up.

Sorry about that. Totally slipped my mind.

5. SW_Jedi_Temple

May 16, 2001
    That would be great. I really liked those. That way it would save me some money and time sending cd's to the cast members.

Ted

6. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Quite so. I just signed on Chris Walker for an episode of Anthology he wrote, so when I update with a page for his story, I'll put up that Zip file.

7. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    There you go, Ted. Your jewel case inserts are up.

8. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    here is a repost of my review:
    Here is me review. No offense intended.

Some voices are muddled. Difficult to decipher. I knew who Vader was, his voice was distinguishable. Same as Palpatine. But I had trouble with Billy Bob Maul. Not to knock you Ted, but you already have an established character, and a sound for the voice. I guess he must come from southern Iridonia. People would crap on your work if you had a high-pitched Vader, or a Yoda that only spoke German. The Saber getting louder as it gets closer is cool. The music is very audio-bookish, not bad, as it is difficult to come up with original music. Since all Stormtroopers are clones, it is kinda goofy to have all of them have different accents. I found I had no freakin clue what happened at certain times. With no audio clues of what is happening visually, the imagery, no matter how powerful, is lost. I had to ask around to find out what happened in the comic book. I think that either scans need to be provided (which I believe is illegal), or someone needs to draw their own version. Otherwise a disclaimer MUST be given. I thought it was a moderately good ending with Vader killing Maul, but why make it a drama? Then I was told what happened, and then it made sense. I thought it rocked! But the audio production did nothing to translate it. When taking written word to audio, you must explain everything. Try watching the Three Stooges or a Zucker, Abrams, Zucker movie with your eyes closed, or better yet, with someone who is blind. Explain each scene as a narrator.

And finally:

"You are a sham." "No you are a sham." But that's not your fault, that's silly writing.

9. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    Well, I thought you did a good job on the audio, its just tough when you have an established character and you change the way he sounds. I think we should make a logo or something to slap on anything (much like an Infinities logo) that is, like the Llama Boys said, "made because we look cool with a lightsaber" instead of "this is an excellent project and we feel it is the best that can be done." With the former, things like accents can be forgiven and looked over because you did your best, and it was made to have fun. But the latter, well, that is like comparing yourself to a top quality, and only did it for acclaim, awards, or hosting on TFN. I think this goes along well with the "A Deception of the Force" fiasco. They compared themselves to some of the best Fanfilms around. And they didn't live up to it, but they begged for every negative review. Now, you didn't compare yourself, so don't feel bad.
    Where do you draw the line? "Here is our best shot, hope you like it" and "this is a professional job and this is the best" are tough to distinguish. We can see that originally, some projects started small and just to show some friends goofing around, but then others are made to showcase talents, and make a name for themselves. And if you do that, be prepared for the thunder you've called down.
    Though I've never heard of a fanfilm (since audio is still so new) take the criticism from the boards, remake and then do an official release. You know, have a test release, as we fans are the most critical, take our ideas and fix them. So Ted, please don't think that I didn't like your production. It was good. But if you need to have something else to enjoy your production, you handicap those of us you can't get access to that needed piece to understand your whole picture.

10. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    You made some good points there CF. I read the comic, so I knew going in what to expect (granted I did re-download it last night to my own computer, still though haven't had a chance to finish listening to it yet). I really didn't think to look at it from the perspective of someon who hadn't read the comic.

Questions like that are certainly good points for bringing up in pre-production. Of course, it's not easy to think of everything up front. There were many complications that we ran into in the middle of production and I couldn't believe none of us caught those things earlier.

Keith

11. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Any general snags you could talk about, Keith? Because that might help me and others who are starting their own audios.

Chris

12. keithabbott

Aug 7, 1998
    Let me explain that stuff in another thread. I guess that would be the most appropriate way to handle it. :)

13. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Ted: Have you sent a news notice about Resurrection's release to Azeem yet? You're about to cross 100 downloads, which is pretty good for the time frame, but I bet you could get a decent kick from a news mention.

I should also fill you in on what's happening with the site. Cool stuff's a'comin', brotha.

14. SW_Jedi_Temple

May 16, 2001
    Sounds great Nathan. I have sent a news release to Azeem. Almost 100, great. Just email me the stuff about the site.

Ted

15. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Ted: Speaking of download numbers, I believe you recently crossed the 2,000 mark or so.

16. SW_Jedi_Temple

May 16, 2001
    2,000 downloads. Holy crap. HOO HOOO! More than i would have imagined.

17. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Just wait till Fanworks gets rolling. I'm thinking that when that gets its own StarWarz planet and gets some exposure, we'll be able to kick that up.

I'm just hoping we can keep track of downloads still. I know the old numbers will not be accessible anymore.

18. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    :::Atx runs and hides in a corner:::
    Too big! The attention is getting too big...must run away and sequester myself ;)
    Congrats Ted and thanks again Nathan! :)

19. SW_Jedi_Temple

May 16, 2001
    None of it would have been possible without you Bryan.

Thanks

20. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.